NPC: Spectres in The Feerrott Zone See Through Invisibility Verusus Undead Buff

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Allworth, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Allworth Elder

Today, on Yelinak I noticed while having Invisibility Versus Undead buff via either the spell or the potion on my character, the spectre NPCs in The Feerrott zone were "scowls - ready to attack" when I considered them.

The spectres in The Ocean of Tears and South Ro were not able to see thru the Invisibility Versus Undead buff.

The spectres in The Feerott are flagged as undead and therefore should not be able detect a player with the UVU buff on.
    Krazie and Brontus like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

3. Allworth Elder

Thanks for the link. I read all the posts and the other thread where the developer commented. I didn''t see any reasoning that could possibly justify the Feerrott spectres having the ability to detect the Invis Versus Undead buff. Until I hear that this is intentional, I will consider it to be a bug as all other spectres in Antonica and Ocean of Tears are behaving correctly.

If the devs did this intentionally, then I have to stridently disagree with them. The end result is that players on the way to the Plane of Fear will only end up training spectres on other players and getting those that are AFK killed as they will just zone into open world Fear or say "ready" to the AoC.

Also, these spectres are around level 35 and do not pose any credible threat to a 46-50 player would would be travelling to Fear. This invalidate the "it should not be easy to travel" argument. Besides, the Feerrott is not a dungeon. The spectres present enough danger (annoyance to be honest) to careless travelers who forget to use IVU potions and spells. Preparation to avoid them should be rewarded and not penalized. Classes that have IVU spells and alchemists lose uniqueness and utility by this kind of misguided change

There is really no upside to this. If there is, I'd love to hear it.

Spectres across the board are indeed undead and should not have the ability to detect players with the Invis Versus Undead regardless of what zone they are in. In a broader sense, consistency is important in virtual worlds and players have a right to expect it with regard from everything from physics, gravity, and mob types. Changing the rules arbitrarily for undead NPCs from one zone to the next is confusing to players and violates their trust in the devs and erodes the suspension of disbelief that is critical for virtual worlds to be believable.