Is this community really ok with AFK botting or is /general just trash?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Notinterested, Jul 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notinterested Augur

Sitting here watching a group AFK bot some XP in the dead center of a popular hotzone.

Mentioned it in general and was told to mind my own business, i should find a new zone, im just jealous and "botters are actually good for the economy". That last one was their guild mate and when i pointed that out they immediately went /anon and stopped talking.

Since when do people defend botters?

Is this seriously the communities stance?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Botters in EQ - everywhere in game - very annoying

Players complaining about Botters - everywhere in forums - very annoying

And I am sure there are one or two posters who have not put me on ignore yet that would say:

Catspaws posting on forums - very annoying. :D
    Vumad, Hobitses and Metanis like this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

How do I report cheaters/botters in EverQuest?

To report a player you believe to be cheating/botting, please submit a support ticket and include:
    • The character name of the player
    • The name of the server and the zone
    • The date/time of the incident
    • A link to a video of the specific incidents where possible, but please do not send video attachments

Our goal at Daybreak Games is to create a fair and balanced experience for all of our players. In the interest of keeping the game fun for all, we take cheating very seriously.

Consequences for violating of our Rules of Conduct may include but are not limited to:
    • Account warning, account suspension, or permanent banishment from the game
    • Termination of all accounts accessed by the same user

The more quickly you submit a support ticket, the higher chance we have of catching the offenders in action in-game.

With the continued efforts of the player base reporting such violators, the better chance we have of catching them and employing disciplinary action where needed.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...ow-do-I-report-cheaters-botters-in-EverQuest-
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Automation tell-tale signs or giveaways:
    • Patterned behavior.
    • Sit-stand behavior.
    • Repeated buffing at unreasonably short intervals.
    • High levels of synchronicity.
    • Character stacking.
    • Use of waypoints.
    • Lack of spontaneity or adaptation.
    • Automatic stoppage.
    • Other scripted movement.
    • Delayed reponses (10+ minutes) to tells, ooc/shout, or say.
    Edit: It is ideal to identify at least 3 or more traits to initiate a petition. A petition would only initiate a check as the GM has to verify that cheating is actually occurring.

Report suspicious character behavior via petitions. GMs have been responding very quickly lately.
  5. code-zero Augur

One more point: Don't blather about botters in /general, go ahead to prepare your report and get it over with.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Great point. /Say or /Tell could be your "last chance".

I wouldn't be surprised if players are underestimating the GMs. Years from now, we'll be told that the GMs had real fancy tools (e.g. pinpointing or measuring locs, measuring spell cast items, viewing inputs, etc).
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Zunnoab Augur

Just be sure they really are botting.

Being terrible at managing multiple windows and catching chatter in all of them isn't solid proof anything is wrong. Especially with key broadcasting (which isn't botting) it would be easy for people to miss. Now if every character ignores every channel for a very long time with no break, that's more fishy.

Of course monopolizing content is a problem, but I've run into a few nutty people over the years, such as one flipping out thinking /corpsedrag wasn't a thing, or more hilariously someone thinking they were clever offering my shaman (with one account at the time) a copper because they thought I was botting to practice spell skill in the PoK.
    code-zero and Fenthen like this.
  8. Notinterested Augur

Easiest giveaway was the tank returned the exact same spot dead center on the campfire after every single pull. No deviation at all. Everything about the tanks movement was obvious bot.

After watching them for about 30 minutes and talking in /general they all went /anon and logged out.

The only reason i mentioned it in general is they all had the same guild tag and its a larger guild on the server with a decent rep, i was surprised to see their tag botting. I was initially trying to let the guild know their guys are botting but the guild in question decided to defend their botting and flame me instead. Most of the guild went /anon during all of this too, from 24 online to just bazaar traders online. Pretty telling and very disappointing.

I petitioned, but i doubt anything will happen. FV has had a bot army selling RMT power leveling for years and no amount of petitioning has had even slowed them down.
  9. Fenthen aka Rath

They can't even keep chat channels connected, you think they've developed fancy tools?
    Metanis likes this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. Apples and oranges: Universal Chat vs. game tools.

2. GMs already spawn on top of players and have the ability to turn PvP against a PVE player.

Could GMs have other tools (undisclosed for obvious reasons)? Absolutely.
  11. Notinterested Augur

Wow. They already responded to my petition and confirmed they where botting. Kudos to the new owners I have not had a petition answered in less than a week since the early 00s.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Stop being a drama queen.

So, all 400 people in general told you that, or 1 or 2 idiots who are likely the botters?

So, yeah, two idiots

Well, since botters are people, there are obviously SOME people who will defend them(selves). That doesn't make it "everybody".

Have you actually ever READ these forums? What do you think?
  13. code-zero Augur

No disrespect intended here. You did exactly what hundreds of people do, you saw something hinky then wouldn't stop talking about it. You talked about it in /general then came here and started a thread.

The GM's have a job to do, you do your part with a good /petition and go on. Don't overthink it and please don't start anymore threads. If it's actually a bot group they'll deal with it
    Pelrond likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

GMs are slapping botters left and right.

It used to be that macro quest users were extremely obvious, but allowed if they were at the keyboard. This is no longer true. Once you know what macro quest users look like it's pretty obvious. Benito's list is pretty good.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Cool story, bro.
    Smokezz likes this.
  16. Sabby New Member

I agree with most of that, but i box and use a real cleric. since it's way too hard to cast single heals on single players i always stack them real close....and use group heals
  17. Arkanny Augur

If they were answering doesnt that mean they were at their keyboards, and are not botters but just boxers? I generally dislike both methods of play, but only one of them is considered cheating. Like others have pointed out, there's an official method to handle those situations, file a report and stop bothering everyone else because you're b00tthurt.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

If they were using macro quest, they were cheating based on DPGs new stance of taking action against all macro quest users, regardless of how they were using it.
  19. Zunnoab Augur

https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Utilities#[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]
    That page links to developer posts on these boards.

There are some things that would make a cheater more obvious, but several things people brought up in this topic can be done with key broadcasting.

A cleric I used to be guilded with introduced me to adding foot pedals, for a more exotic example.
  20. Notinterested Augur

At no point did l say they answered anything. Where did you even come up with that? They where 100% unresponsive.

I went through the official method, the GMs confirmed they where botting and handled it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.