Parceled lore item poofs if you send it to someone who has it in their parcel list and you do too

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bernel, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Bernel Augur

The typical behavior when parceling a lore item to someone who already has it in their parcel list is that the item is parceled back to you and shows up in your parcel list. But if you also have that item in your parcel list, the item silently poofs. There is no error message, indication that the item could not be returned, or that it was deleted. I'm guessing the server doesn't know what to do with the returned lore item and deletes it. Depending on the item, this could be a rather severe consequence.

One way to handle this could be to have a confirmation popup saying the item could be deleted if returned since you already have that item in your parcel list. Or perhaps not even allow the lore item to be sent if one currently exists in your list of parcels. Or if the parcel code can't print an error message to the chat window, have it send an in-game email to the original person saying that the item was deleted due to duplicate lore items in the parcel list. At least this way they wouldn't be stumped as to where the item went.

I'm not really expecting anything to be done about this since it's a relatively minor issue that will only happen rarely. I'm mostly posting it in case anyone else runs into the issue so they know what happened.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I suspect it is tied into the lore item error that we used to get on quests and with some epics.

It was hot fixed in December. If you had the lore item already and finished a quest where the reward was the same lore item then you would be stuck. So they made it so one of the lore items poof so it does not block you. A prime example of this roadblock were the quests at the Farm in Dragonscale hills where the rewards are lore but the quests are repeatable.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-december-9-2021.279545/

So I too, expect nothing to be done:D After all if we were allowed to have 2 lore items then that would be cheating.
    Bernel likes this.
  3. Bernel Augur

I can see the purpose in that case with the quest. But since parcels involve multiple people, it would be nice if there could at least be some notification to the people involved. The recipient could get a "item returned to sender" notification in their parcel list and the originator could get a "item was damaged during transport" notice. That way everyone knows what happened.

Although it's more of a feature request, it would be helpful if the recipient would get a "returned to sender" notification whenever the item was returned so that they at least know the item was sent. This wouldn't be just for the poofed lore situation. It would be helpful in all cases when an item was returned due to duplicate lore item in the parcel list.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just going to throw this out there.

When you parcel an item and you typed the name wrong it is not returned if that character does not exist. Instead we pull our hair out trying to contact that player since they must be in the game. After a period of time we give up and assume the character is not played anymore.

So testing:
    Created a character with a really odd name. Sent him a parcel and he got it. Deleted said character and sent another parcel which also went somewhere. So where did said parcel go if I just deleted the character? I again created the character with that name and no parcel had come thru.

If they utilized a "return to sender" for whatever circumstance then they would also have to return parcels sent to characters that do not exist, which they don't. Has anyone ever had a parcel returned like that? Nope.

The parcel system is great but like many things in the game it is quirky and a little shady. ;)
    minimind likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Does the lore check for parcel happen when it is sent or when the person tries to get it? Seems like there could be issues if multiple people send a lore item or if the person gets or gives away a lore item before retrieving the parcel.

In the case you mention you appear to be getting a second copy of the lore item after you have sent it out.
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

I do believe you cannot have a lore item in inventory or bank if you already have one in parcel. Only shared bank does not count a lore item as "owned".
  7. Aanuvane Augur

Though I'm not going to go test it - I'm fairly certain that when I have typo'd someone's name in parcels and that character does not exist, I have gotten a message to the effect of player not found. Catspaws I wonder if your testing hits a grey area where on deletion maybe characters aren't immediately deleted from the backend? Then again, I'm getting old, maybe I imagined this.

However, I know that I have tried to parcel a lore item to someone in the past and it gets returned to me with a message that says Soandso already has a XXXXX.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think Dragon Hoard can be holding a lore item you also have in your personal inventory also.

Maybe the game could drop duplicate lore items in your hoard if you have the feature rather than them vanishing altogether.
    Bernel likes this.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

I don't think he could have had a lore item already in parcels, to have one in inventory to send to someone else.
  10. Bernel Augur

11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

As noted, not there is no way to have one yourself then parcel another one. So not sure how this is possibly an issue.

If you're parceling one then trading one to yourself from another character almost instantly so that in the 4-5 seconds it takes for the system to send it back to you, not worth them wasting their time on that problem.
  12. Bernel Augur

There is a way, but it's only possible in a limited scenario. I wrote it out in the post above, but then I realized that the fact that I could repeatedly do it is an unintended bug that I didn't want to publicize on the forum. I'll submit it as an in game bug instead.

The situation I wrote in the OP is probably not going to happen in most cases, because as you mention, you're not supposed to have a lore item in both inventory and parcel. The fact I could have it in both is due to how I was getting the lore item in the first place. I'm guessing whatever lore check it does in that scenario doesn't check the parcel list. But in normal inventory operations it does the parcel lore check and doesn't allow it.

ETA: I see submitting it as an in-game bug just goes to the forum. Admins, if you have access to my deleted post above you can see what I wrote or you can PM me for the details.
  13. Soulbanshee Augur

Here:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/how-to-report-exploits.260060/
    Bernel likes this.
  14. Bernel Augur

Thanks. I'll submit it there.