Gamers spend WHAT?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Jun 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LesserArchi Elder

Yes, it's amazing how much money they spend on the gaming.
    I am sure the mobile game tops the chart. Not sure how these people come up with the cash they are pouring into the mobile games.

Too many Hyppocrates are lurking in this board it seems.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

[IMG]
    Stymie and Flatchy like this.
  3. Zanarnar Augur

And it compares to other life long hobbies how? Absolutely worthless without some comparisons.

Lifetime Knitters spend: ??
    Lifetime Boaters spend: ??
    Lifetime Gun enthusiasts spend: ??
    Lifetime Car enthusiasts spend: ??

basically clickbait bs by some local (florida based even.. the haven for dumb) news station. Utterly useless information. (and no I won't RTFA/WTFV as I refuse to give them the click/view)
  4. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Adjusted for inflation, the correct figure is...

More than I should, less than I want.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I used to spend a serious amount of money on games when I was a console junkie, but since I became a PC gamer & especially since I started playing EverQuest I have spent a tiny amount in comparison.

I don't think I have paid full price for a single game in the past 10 years except Civ VI, everything else is bought years after release when it's selling for chump change.

Basically EverQuest being my main game has saved me thousands of pounds since 1999, and to be fair a big part of that is having sod-all time left to play anything else! :p
  6. Razorfall Augur

I've spent almost double that in the last 10 years. I've slowed down quite a bit in the last year or so (a lot was building up my video game collection back when prices didn't suck)
  7. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I am a solid crafter in RL. I've spent thousands for my kitchen for cooking/baking.. I've spent LOTS more for Quilting over the last 27 years since I took it up as a *hobby*. I've spent thousands on Yarn for knitting/crocheting, at least a few thousand back in the 90s/00s on soapmaking supplies because 2 of my 3 kids were allergic to all commercial "soaps" that were not true soap. I've spent at least a couple thousand on resin crafting supplies. I've done candlemaking, pottery (stopping just short of buying my own kiln and using the college one instead).. and the list goes on and on..
    (can we tell I am an ADD Crafter?)

AND I have played EQ for 2+ decades.when I first started playing we had small kids and so I didn't spend much extra in the game, just getting my yearly (or a few times twice yearly) expansions for myself and my husband. Now, kids are grown, hubs and I both make more, so we have more disposable income, and yes, EQ gets a portion of that. but I'm 51, and I've been gaming in one form or another my whole life. I probably spend $200/yr on decks of normal playing cards a year.

And we won't even discuss our in home library for a house of 5 bookworms, but our Kindle account has nearly 12,000 books last time I checked and that's not counting the Kindle Unlimited books I burn through.
    Leerah and Tallie like this.
  8. Maedhros High King

Yea but.... 8 megs of ram!
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

They did have monitors though. The first computer I worked on didn't. But still...YECH!

P.S. My in-laws paid more than 4k for an Apple III in 1982 or so. And they were thrilled to have it.
    Hobitses likes this.
  10. Maedhros High King

I clearly remember going to a Sun Tv circa 1992 and looking at the computers with my mom and the salesmen goes, "this PC comes with a 64MB or 128MB Hard drive and nobody is ever going to need more memory than that"
    Back when people apparently interchanged memory with hard drive capacity as though they were the same thing.
    Ah sales people.
    Stymie likes this.
  11. Bamboompow Augur

58k is a modest number and it really doesn't matter. Its just passive aggressive inference on the part of knuckleheads in the press looking for some windmills to tilt.

What should we be spending our money on? Meth? AR-15s? Booze? McDonalds? Crypto/NFTs? Sure if you had all that cash in a lump it becomes somewhat relevant but I have been gaming since the Atari 2600 and plan on kicking the bucket with games on whatever my forever computer system will be. Over 60-70 years, yah its not much to talk about.

Seems to me most of my loot goes to energy companies. 7 dollars a gallon for diesel! How about the amount of money we spend on CARS over a lifetime? Talk about a dooky investment. Nothing like society demanding you blow your money on a hole in the sky just to get to work.

Games= Fun. Sitting in Traffic = Garbage. Guess which one is more socially acceptable, though?
    Wdor, Elyssanda, Stymie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Zanarnar Augur

Heh ya my "Car" hobby way WAY out-strips my spending on games. I mean current hobby car 1 was 70K, car 2 was only 24K but gets 16mpg. (car one gets ~26, so neither are great) I'm gonna guess I've spent more in just gas based on the mpg difference of my toy cars and normal ones then I've spent on games total. (much less the differences in costs of the cars themselves. Insurance oddly seems a non-factor for me.. I'm payin 124/mo for full coverage on both cars. I can't see that going too much lower even if they were corollas or civics or the like)
  13. Bamboompow Augur

Wish cars were still "fun". Used to love spinning wrenches on old iron. Not any more.
    Now with relentless traffic congestion and the completely abysmal skill on the part of most drivers, driving is in the most positive of lights considered a chore. Mostly its aggravating. I usually NEED gaming after being on the roads. Sometimes its good to virtually kill something after another fine day on the highways.

Anyway, we all work too hard to let others dictate what we do with our hard earned ducats. Fox News can F all the way off.
  14. Zanarnar Augur

Guess it depends on where you live; one advantage of being close to the sticks is that even on a nice weekend there aren't a lot of people on the the back roads other then amish and the odd other person on a bike/sports car.

Its one of the reasons I'll never move back to a big city :)
    Marton and Stymie like this.
  15. Khat_Nip Meow

Get a car that's fun to drive and it'll seem less a chore and more, well, fun.
  16. Bamboompow Augur

This to a "T".
    There are some really fun places for a bike or sporty small car close by (lots of twisties and hills) but it requires escape velocity from the mess first. Typical big Metro on the Pacific. Don't want to derail this convo too much further, other than gaming is worth the investment.
  17. Khat_Nip Meow

Some people that are big into sims (racing, flying, etc.) spend absurd amounts of money on just their hardware setup, and it's single-purpose.
    I mean from $5K to well past $100K and all the numbers in between.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

The only car thats fun to drive when stuck in traffic would be a level 5 for real FSD, and they arent here yet.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Lifetime? That's quite low IMO.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have decided to take this article as a challenge. Clearly, I have been slacking and I need to spend more on gaming. If my CFO can be persuaded, I plan to increase my spending in the coming fiscal year. I am going to..."Hi dear, just typing something unimportant. Uh, have I told you that I love you lately? And have you lost weight?" That was close.
    Leerah and Elyssanda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.