Things a player should know to maximise their experience?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mr Snankyplank, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Mr Snankyplank New Member

Hi all,

I'm probably the most ignorant EQ player out there. Back in 2001, I levelled a druid to 42. Then real life got in the way and I didn't play again until recently. Now I have a level 51 druid.

To be honest, I've only ever played EQ by grinding out levels, either by soloing or grouping. I've never done anything else. I haven't even looked at anything else. No trade skills. No AAs. Nothing else other than killing mobs for XP. Put simply; I haven't a clue what's available in EQ to be enjoyed.

So this is what I'd like to know. What else is out there? By chance I've just learned about Franklin Teek in PoK and the daily hotzone quests and I intend to start getting involved with them.

What else should I know? I'm absolutely fine with researching and reading up in my own time but with EQ being such an old game, and without having the benefit of knowing where to start, the amount of information available out there is quite impenetrable for someone like me who's basically an ignorant newbie.

Could some kind soul(s) point me to a few web sites that'll tell me what's "out there" please?
    Stymie likes this.
  2. Korwiin Journeyman

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zlvlchart.html
    There is 24 years of content out there, 28 expansions! The bad part about that is there is 24 years of internet content, that has been abandoned or out of date.

You should look for a LARGE casual guild. The larger the better for more pickup group opportunities. Make friends, and go with the flow. You may also not know about the Hero upgrade you can buy to upgrade your character (or build a new one) starting with lvl 85, and gear.
    Kialya, Tweelis and Mr Snankyplank like this.
  3. kookoo Augur

4. CrazyLarth Augur

5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is a button on your character screen that says "achievements" - click that and it opens a window which is called The Hero's Journey" Its a guide to help players decide what they want to do next. I will look thru it, select something and then google it for better info or walk thrus.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5553
    Mr Snankyplank likes this.
  6. Laronk Augur

Well for expansions House of thule and later I suggest eqresource.com

It depends what level you are, but through testing I found that doing Heroic Adventures and flipping them is better experience then straight grinding from 85 to like 105 or so unless you're grouped with higher level more powerful players. But this requires playing in a group with at least 1 other player and mercs and even then they might be a bit hard as they're designed for a group.
  7. Korwiin Journeyman

I found this youtube channel today, and this video may help you out from 50 to 75:
    Mr Snankyplank and Nennius like this.
  8. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Avoid the forums like the plague. Most important thing overall.
    Mr Snankyplank and Nennius like this.
  9. Fluid Augur

The references cited are good. Short form

If you are a paying player, open your PC toon, lower left bottom will be a button AA. In AA screen click autogrant. You can put 100% of experience into experience as you won't have to sacrifice it for AAs unless there is something in particular you want to do like trade skills.

type
    /veteran
    and
    /claim
    to pick up anything else.
    Under AAs<still> there are HUGE perks for old timers. You get something crazy like double experience for 30 minutes every 20 or so hours. There is 'Steadfast Servant' which is your own little buff monkey. The SS will cast ~65% haste, clarity, AC, everything you need to flow.

Navigate to the best tank Mercenary you can get.

There's a few other AAs you will already have granted like "Throne of Heroes" that transports you straight to the Guild Lobby, Expedient Recovery which is a no exp loss rez, lot of neat stuff all under the special AAs.

That should get you comfortably to the 80s.
  10. Tweelis Augur

Definitely join a big casual guild if you can. If you're on Bristlebane, look up The Dark Reign. It really is one of the best ways to get advice and help as you level, both general and class-specific.

Once you are to a level where you can start doing progression, that's absolutely worth doing. Especially for 100+ zones. When you are 90 you can group with 120, so head to Frontier Mountains and see if any pickup groups have a spot.