Rental of instances.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trellium, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Trellium Elder

Since we already have instances in game, it is sometimes nice to have one for our guild and have everyone come in automatically.

I was thinking it would be interesting if DBG would rent us access to a guild instance for store points. Just limit it to non raid zones, like we have right now. But if someone leaves and comes back, they get the guild "preferred" zone. If a guild doesn't care, or doesn't want to use the system, then they can use the normal (free, public) instances.

People might get an instance just for their boxed group -- all the more power to them. Or, possibly a group idea as well where they get an instance to themselves for some number of points per hour. Then they can hunt and clear a whole zone. to their own schedule and without fear of someone KSing them. They could also make their own private rules ("No boxes!!" or "Only one box, and it is required" or whatever rule a group makes up). Maybe that would let people who hate boxers have an option (share the cost of an instance and only invite people to the instance who comply with those rules).

Instead of servers with rules regarding boxing, we would have instances we can control ourselves and (obviously) change the rules to our liking as we go.

EQ has changed a lot since the early years. Unlike LDoN instances, these have a free open-to-everyone version (plus the instances which auto-create new ones as needed), and obviously don't scale to the level of the players. But if you want to hold a private function for some group this could be an option. And it generates more cash to DBG on the TLP servers, without changing what is already there to play. It just adds to the options.

We tend to get 500/month on progression server, with few things to spend it on. This could be a nice add on to the game, while costing enough in points not to use the instances perpetually. But an instance cost of 100-200points per hour would be a nice balance of cost vs. perks
  2. beyrak Augur

3. Hendar2 Augur

I already pay my monthly fee, and have for 16 years.

:rolleyes:
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  4. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

I'd spend daybreak cash on this..
  5. Valkerine Augur

LOL you guys need to stop doing drugs.
    Aeonblade and Nolrog like this.
  6. iClimax Journeyman

Now, I have a question for you!
    A RMTer sees this, drops 25 bucks into renting out a zone or however much and have maybe 18 boxes supplied from kronos he can easily farm without sharing loot. Now, stay with me on this, how are botters reported? Obviously from being caught. What stops someone with 18 boxes just afk botting all day long and selling the items? No one will catch this person or prove they were botting because no one would of seen them do it!
    Joules_Bianchi and Drexll like this.
  7. RainbowTest Augur

Who cares. If you can rent an instance from them you can get the gear yourself and the guys items will have very little value for the time spent he'll go back to FV to get his kronos. I'd much rather pay extra just to not have to interact with people or feed the neckbeards with kronos to continue living in their mothers basements.
    Ultrailoveyou and Drexll like this.
  8. Jadefox Augur

I just want to know how to get the upside down !

--Confused Jade
    Drexll likes this.
  9. Jent Elder

Very few people actually care about bots other than how they are affected by them. Live servers are bot fests 24/7 but everyone is instanced so nobody cares.
    Ultrailoveyou, Elkay and Drexll like this.
  10. iClimax Journeyman

I guess you're right. You win. Single player Everquest for everyone!! I can't wait!
  11. Ultrailoveyou New Member

I want single player eq where i can invite my friends to avoid the endless whiners. Just wanna play my way and be left alone.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have stated many times in the past that they don't want people getting private instances in which they can just farm drops and xp as long as they want. Not to mention it has been shown that to many instances causes server problems.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

You get to use the highway, the express lane is extra. It would be like buying access to an agent of change for non-raid play. Play the game you do now but for an extra fee you never have to deal with people training or kill stealing.

This is not a service I would pay for, and it would probably be a waste of resources, but I could understand with the conflicts I read about on TLP why people would want them.

I also think that these wouldn't necessarily be a safe haven for botters. If I was a GM, it would be the first place I would check for cheating.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I suspect if the GM's had time to check on induvial instances without getting a ticket first we would have a better control on cheating.
  15. Captain Video Augur

Private instances will never ever happen due to server performance issues. This has been stated many times. People want their own world and don't listen.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Paid for personal instances, presumably of open world areas?

We already have instanced raids, we already have instanced group missions.

Take being forced into shared spaces away from the open world & you undermine the foundations of what EQ was all about.

So it's a no from me dawg.

Personally I would like for there to be more open-world content & a reduced reliance upon instances and I would love for there to be (any?) much more content that sat outside of the progression system so that EQ felt more like a world & more open again, zones with quests that did not directly tie into the expansion story but just were a part of their zone, the zone's lore & history or the factions, npc's that exist there independently of the "current events" of the expansiion, less game-making, more world-building.
  17. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

That necro tho
    Kylo Classic, Vumad, Zedd and 2 others like this.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Damn, I didn't even notice, lol.
  19. Zedd New Member

I'm still trying to figure out how that even happened o_O
    Is there no emoji with the little exploding head on the forums? I think we need one.
  20. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

This could be done. With cloud services these days, it's possible to spin up more resources on an as needed basis. They would obviously have to spend a fee commensurate with usage costs. Not sure of the feasibility.
    I forget which TLP but there was a TLP which dropped massive loots and it was randomized so killing bosses dropped loot from all boss loot tables in the expansion.
    Personally, if I got everything I wanted I'd probably grow bored and quit. Chasing the drops and gear is part of the fun for me.