I keep crashing to desktop

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, May 24, 2022.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I don't know where to start to look.. all of a sudden I will crash. Game icon in task bar vanishes and im at desktop. When loading back into the game it asks to remove exhisting toon from the world.

Where do I look first (logs) to give me the start to troubleshoot.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

dbg.txt
    Are you getting buffs at the time? They still haven't totally pinned that one down yet.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

If in Windows 11, get rid of "Game Mode" Don't just turn it off, but use Powershell to remove it.

Device Driver compatibility is the leading cause of random crashes like this, check all drivers FIRST.

If you have an automatic update pending for a device, like video or sound the pandinf status can also do this.

Acorrupted zone file could cause this. Deleting the zone files before doing a parity check from launcher can't hurt. Use the launcher Gear icon to check file assets.

If it is specific to one character, delete all that character's UI and INI files (Right click EQ shortcut, open file location, ctrl F for character name)

Good luck!
  4. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

How would I ge rid of Game Mode in powershell (curious, I am on 10 though )
    Not sure if one is landing on me while mgb's near was casted.
    I crashed about 5-6 times in 30 mins in pok.. been on for 2 hrs now, no crash .
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Some crashing is happening on raids. Not Windows 11 related. I've posted a bug report.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  7. LesserArchi Elder

I finally figured out what's causing my toons randomly crashing to desktop and few times caused the reboot of computer (probably fatal crash).
    My CPU was overheating, had free software to monitor temperature, etc. and it was reaching critical temperature running 8 toons and while 6 toons it was reaching upper not good temperature range.
    I think it was using 50%-60% range in CPU usage.
    I have finally changed the cheap original CPU fan the computer came with.

In case anyone having the issue with CPU temperature.
    Windows 11 crash log gave me "kernel power 41" error. when fetal crash occurred.
  8. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

For some reason, my crashes was only that day. I have no idea why it was happening.
    -My cpu doesn't overheat.
    -Game bar has been unstalled before this happened. But, I am doing the instructions to clean residue.
    -I am on windows 10.
    -I was only on one toon.
  9. Snazster Elder

Yep. A lot of folks having this problem for many months. For myself, I decided it might be a problem with my graphics card. But I tried several and no joy.

Then I booted without a graphics card at all.

Problem solved. No crashes, no lag. Been a couple months now and I’ve done every raid in the expansion repeatedly with no issues.