Fellowship size increase plz

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by sojuu, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Dre. Altoholic

One minor change.

Just have the token/ability/etc port to the group leader.

Inb4 someone makes it sound like Rogue/Bard/Monk scouting abilities are something bad to be avoided instead of how this would make them a further asset to groups.
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

Yes and coming in at Number 3 on the charts here at Everquest Forums Favorite hits is that old favorite. "Increase Size of Fellowships" ! It was knocked out of the number two position by that fan favorite "When are they going to allow account to account transfers" Tune in next week to see if the up and comer , "Mr Roboto is autofarming my favorite old zone make him stop", manages to nudge these two out of the top three!
    Hobitses, Ozon, MacDubh and 3 others like this.
  3. Spacemonkey555 Augur

You're just an oppressive forum poster, the game will literally die if I can't transfer all my alts (borrowed from accounts I stole) to new accounts, stick all 430 of them in the same fellowship, and then bot raid everything in game at once. I'm quitting on 4948 accounts if I don't get my way and that will the end of EQ!

But really I think fellowship size is currently better for boxers with alts than it is for actual fellowships, it might be more useful as 12 accounts than 12 members.
    Flatchy and cadres like this.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Fellowships can stay as 12 in the FS. There are legit reasons why it should not be expanded.

However, I do feel it should be 12 accounts- not 12 characters. My mage and box bard is in a FS, so that is two characters. But my monk on my mage account cannot join that FS due to the 12 character limit. If it was 12 accounts, then I can switch between mage and monk and play with my FS.

I have no idea how they can code or do this. But that would be very helpful as far as alts playing with FS characters...
    Elyssanda and sojuu like this.
  5. MacDubh TABLES!!!

Lots of good ideas here, most of it boils down to make campfires a group function and not reliant on fellowship.

Reduction of required players to set a fire I can see being contentious but 2 instead of 3 would be fine.
  6. Bernel Augur

What percentage of fellowships are *not* used by boxers to move their chars around? I get the feeling that hardly any fellowships are used by disparate individuals. I'm sure some are, but I have a feeling that mostly it's used by boxers. If that's the case, then it could be an improvement to everyone to make it easier to set campfires. Boxers already have 3+ chars they can use to set a campfire anytime they want. It's just a bit of hassle for them. Individuals, on the other hand, have to scrounge up other individuals. Especially individuals who are trying to get other individuals to group with. Boxers have it easy with a stable of chars they can use to set campfires and group with. Individuals who are LFG trying to get to groups have to take a bunch of time to hoof it across dangerous zones to try to get into a group. At this point, it seems a bit of "the emperor has no clothes" where we pretend fellowships are used by individuals with a common goal but in reality it's boxers porting their chars and shifting exp to their alts.
    Dre. likes this.
  7. Zarkdon Augur

Ah, the forums.

Poster group A "We hate boxers people should group its an MMO"

Poster group B "Let's make xyz improvement to make getting to groups faster and easier for people".

Poster group A "No, we can't have it be easier, faster, or more convenient, it must stay the way it has been, you are obviously an evil boxer looking for exploits".
    Dre. and MacDubh like this.
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

They are used to mark spots on the ground for AE avoidance in the raid crew I am in.

Making a special raid function to replace that with mini-banners would be nice.
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Bernel Augur

Using campfires to mark off spots on the ground is just the kind of innovative solution to a difficult problem I would expect from EQ players. But it's yet another unintended use of a fellowship feature. Clearly the fellowship features of exp sharing and campfires are very useful, but I would argue that very few people actually use them as the designers intended.

And I agree that having a way for raids to mark off places on the ground is extremely useful and should be a standalone feature rather than having to do it in a kludgy way with fellowship campfires.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Many hundreds for sure

Never.

Fellowships were not designed for Alt & Box powerlevelling.
    They were made to allow friends to benefit from the efforts of other friends so that they can stay more or less at the same level when they can't always be there with each other.

Large bunches of boxes & alts in fellowships is just players exploiting the XP benefits & increasing the size of fellowships just caters to that which is not a player need, if you need something larger than a fellowship it already exists, and it is called a Guild.

Campfires should be a standard group ability & stay at requiring 3 players to be there to place.
  11. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They already raised the cap from 9 to 12. They don’t design for boxes and alts but their design philosophy always favors boxing.
  12. sojuu Augur

Never mentioned power leveling. Right now I main a pally, I have a friend who plays a war. If hes on I'd rather go on the bard to better help the group. Another example my wife mains a cleric, if we have another cleric friend on, she may decide to play another character. Now there is a ton of lost time because we are waiting for the new person to get out there. You act like everyone intention is to exploit, while in reality we are just trying to improve game experiences.

Overall I like the group idea of having like a group port? Maybe 4 group members so fellowship fires still can help?
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Fellowships could use some improvememts for sure, not necessarily made larger.

1.Spliting out the porting to group function to not having to be in the fellowship of current group leader, but can use clicky go to go their campfire. Afterall if I'm in someone elses guild hall I can port to where their guild portal is set without being in their guild.

2. Fixing share exp to continue even if the sharer is maxed. :rolleyes:

3. Having the choice of only gaining/sharing exp not both. I really don't understand why you would share exp with others when you want to gain it! The same the other way when I'm giving others EXP 'cause all I have left to gain is usless AAs I don't want to be gaining AAs faster!
  14. cadres Augur

I'm in a fellowship with 5 others, so we each also have 1 alt in the fellowship.
    I would very much like to see the size increased, so we could add other people and other alts.

The last time there was a big discussion about this, it was said they would not increase fellowship size, even though this had been mooted by a dev/someone from the 'official' side, was that it would undermine guilds in some way.
    The whole point of a fellowship, certainly ours, is that it facilitates/encourages people to group across guilds. Our group of friends is in 4 different guilds, from serious raiding to largely 'personal' variants.
    This is also good for the guilds as everyone just gets to meet/stay in contact with people who might want to join and helps lower levels who have a bunch of friends they can ask for help - so helping them stay in game

If we want more people to be able to group regularly, having a fellowship is great for that. Personally, I like being able to give xp to alts, mine and others' who need it. Like most high playtime people, I stopped needing xp/aa a couple of months or more ago so it gives me a reason to keep playing
  15. Bigstomp Augur

You can kick/remove people/alts and shuffle membership.
    Not sure that is the ideal situation for you, but it is a workaround.
    Just need a leader who shuffles bodies and is generally on.
  16. cadres Augur

True, but with the 23 hour cooldown, that means we can't regularly shuffle alts etc in & out, for eg to pick up a piece of loot that's dropped.
    There are workarounds, but are all unsatisfactory, and , it seems to me, needlessly so, when adding some more slots to the fellowship seems a no brainer
  17. cadres Augur

2. Very much this! Why is this even a thing? I have to keep killing myself....

3. Again, agreed. It would save having to remember to toggle on/off all over the place. Not exactly game-breaking but certainly irritating
  18. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Druid/wiz spell/aa/clicky port AOE players (or just group) to target's campfire, a way to bring anyone to anyone's fire.
    Druid/wiz spell/aa/clicky summon campfire, doesn't require 3 in area (wiz and druid have group port to bind already and use it for similar function quite often)

Neither is a power class at the moment.

Mage is the only power class of the three travel casters, they could be included on the above but it's not their theme really (well summon campfire kinda is). An alternative would be give them a spell/aa that sends a coth popup offer to a player in another zone, only usable out of combat, long 20 sec teleport cast time, receiving player needs to be visible and out of combat. Might let their fire pet count as +1 for the 3 to place a fire, he's halfway there already just needs wood right?

I don't see them letting all classes drop campfire aka warp beacon solo, would be nice but just need one good monk/bard/sk etc to navigate to a safe spot at that point. Mage/druid/wiz not as adept at crossing a dangerous zone and theme/powerset applicable. Other than drag/rez I dont think any other classes currently fill the role of moving people around.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

I like your idea of using campfires in raids like that. I use mine while boxing to set my tank when im running back to group with mob or mobs. I already have my two casters aimed at where the sk will be so they can also melee away. Attack is just one more button to hit and with all the weapon and spell procs from the shaman why wouldn't you let em stab or bash away?

I dont think I have ever checked, are you able to set a campfire if you are dragging 2 of your fellowships corpses along with you?
  20. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

How about a DBC store/loyalty consumable item to allow a single person to drop a campfire?