Is eq turning into P2W?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ownanat, May 18, 2022.

1. Ownanat Journeyman

I mean look at all the recent bag threads. Paying for an unfair advantage. Paying for exp potion of haste potion. Hell invis potion. Game is turning into P2W and nobody seems to care. P99 seems more and more appealing.
    Ponter likes this.
  2. Zapsos Augur

Buying a bag is not P2W, it's paying for convenience, which is a completely legitimate monetization model.
    Appren, code-zero, Ozon and 3 others like this.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

Having a big bag isn't exactly winning. Xp pots will get you there faster, but they also give you them for free every month if you want AND it's fairly quick and easy to cap xp w/o even using them.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It's nowhere near the Pay to WIn models of some games, where the entire game design is weighted to the whales & provides lip-service at best pale shadow of teh game to everyone who isn't a whale.

EQ gives you the full game & adds relatively "mild" Pay to Win on top with the marketplace & the Perks system.

Play any of the F2P MMO that have been around a while & you will see the difference is worlds away from what EQ is like.

Freeloaders go that way, but P99 is so different to the game most forum users are playing it may as well be a completely different game.

Try both for a month each, see which offers you the better game for yourself.
    Appren likes this.
  5. ISupportGuilds Journeyman

this is the same as its been for years.. no change and its pay for convenience.
  6. Aenoan Augur

The only pay to win. I see is the perks. If those are allowed on TLPs however, it won't matter what happens every TLP garbage.
    That being said if they actually just fixed their damn game. They wouldn't need $243.00 expansion packs or perks.
  7. Tweakfour17 Augur

Perks are allowed on TLP. Features that require specific expansions don't work until those expansions are live (like you can't get the large baz bags until the baz unlocks).
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Always been PTW, they force players to box with their incohesive design decisions.
  9. Vlahkmaak Augur

You can always buy mana, haste, str, and sow pots from my (or any other) Shammy instead. Not sure a bag is really a PTW concept though. It does nothing but allow you to carry more at the outset. You can easily craft your own bags and just make a few more trips to the banker. The game does not seem any harder/easier than it ever was. The TLPs are pretty nice because the communities seem more alive than the live servers and groups are generally easier to find than on a live server.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I know plenty of people who free to played to max, bought Krono -IN GAME-, geared and AAed up and are in raid guilds to this day.

You can compete, 100% with everyone else in the game from F2P / Krono with zero cash transaction other than expansions, the same for anyone.

I am brutally against P2W <musts> and wa sfor a time a Community Contributor for Wargaming franchises.

Unlike Wargaming title World of Tanks, Everquest doesn't sell special overpowered characters that are better than "tech tree" or played in game characters.

THAT is pay to win.

Everquest doesn't systematically nerf all classes and races of existing characters, then SELL on the marketplace BETTER ones for cash.

THAT is pay to win

(and why I no longer associate with wargaming at all.)

XP pots are semi P2W but there is an overall benefit to the long term health of the game and for future expansion sales, the more players / characters reach max level serverwide and systemwide and the repeated income from TLP rollouts serves the game well in this same vein.

I call this Pay the bills to win.
    Cronar likes this.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Potions in Crescent reach too.
  12. Aenoan Augur

Looking forward to when DCG starts dabbling in NFTs
  13. Arclyte Augur

no one is "forced" to box until much later expansions when EQ jumps the shark anyway
  14. TheAgenda Augur

Have fun byeeeeeeeee!
    Catalina likes this.
  15. Chyron Lorekeeper

Bags, experience potions, some minor clarity/haste/sow potions are just quality of life really. I'm one of those casual players that wants to keep up with level caps on TLPs and still wants to attempt to raid, so having fewer trips to sell, and small experience bonuses make a huge difference for me.

I still do collect weight reduction bags when I can, as I enjoy that aspect of EQ. A little bit of the nostalgia or collection quest is lost being able to buy a 40 slot bag, but its a trade off for QoL and supporting the company that keeps the lights on. As adults, we have to deal with those types of compromises.

That said, if the classic, collect your corpse, no boxing, no potions and no bags EverQuest is what you are looking for, definitely check out P99. For me, reliving EverQuest on a server with an obsession for "classic" down to the bugs and lack of features that later improved EQ, does not fit into my adult life anymore. I'm happy to support DBG through TLPs, Agnarr and new features.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  16. MacDubh TABLES!!!

The first step is realizing there is no winning in EQ.
  17. Vlahkmaak Augur

You can play Tanks/ships 100% free too. I just acquired the Forrest Sherman in ships with 100% free coal gained from missions, same when I bought the MO back in the day - 100% free XP, and back in the day T26SP with gold from events too. It can be done - you just have to be stubbornly obstinate and horde the coals, steel, gold, and free XP that can be collected for free from in game missions (their verion of daily/weekly/monthly quests) :)
  18. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Oh you can play for free, sure, BUT some strorebought ships and ships and tanks clearly outperform tech tree ones. World of warships is more approachable for sure.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Underrated post.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  20. Dominate Augur

What are these perks people are talking about?