Vaniki vs. Yelinak-Any impact on class choice?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strikker, May 17, 2022.

1. Strikker New Member

I'm a live server vet who is rolling on a TLP for the first time next week. I haven't picked a server yet. I do know that I want to play either a pet class or a DPS class (I want to learn something new).

Are there any specific classes where the start conditions would have a meaningful impact early on?

Asked another way, are their any classes that are clearly going to be more at home on one server than the other for the first six months?

I do plan to raid, as I always have. That said, I'd rate the ability to find xp groups slightly ahead of raiding value in my own personal pecking order.
  2. Trox2010 Augur

Beastlord and Berserker will definitely be impacted based on which server you choose.
    Fhiele and code-zero like this.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

"Vanilla" Server starting in Classic vs a server starting in GoD with a dramatically changed spell/resist system and removal of required item levels means almost every class will play completely differently between the 2 servers other than like maybe a cleric.
  4. Yarteb Elder

Play what you like on either server. The starting conditions are different for the two servers but guilds will still need all the classes. The afore mentioned clerics are always in demand if that suits you.
    I'm still waiting for gnomish "beastlords' with mechanical pets tobe allowed.
    Joules_Bianchi and Strikker like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Never gonna happen imho.
    Has to be an animal not a clockwork otherwise it ain't a Beastlord, it's an engineer.
    An animal with some "clockwork enhancements" is about as close to a clockwork pet as Gnomes should ever get as Beastlords.

[IMG]
    Strikker likes this.
  6. Aenoan Augur

DDO has what you are looking for :D Hehe. Artificer is pretty badass too!

Agree. I get rather intolerant of people who complain and tell people don't play X because its 100% trash until like X_expansion. Just play the game and play what you like. Because with the exception of Vaniki because GoD makes a lot of huge tweaks, in classic basically every class is or was trash it was just because of live server changes that has caused them to be more "meta" on TLPs.
    Strikker likes this.
  7. Aenoan Augur

I

I retract my earlier post then I Artificer has a mechanical pet / clockwork so nm!
  8. Strikker New Member

Thanks! I know these things must be painfully obvious to the TLP crowd, but I raid endgame on live as a healer. I have been told to expect to have to relearn the game game.

Most classes in endgame boil down to how many keybind button smashes you can get per minute and following mechanics. I suppose DPS worry about things like time on target and such? I'm not saying skill isn't important, but there is a TON of repetitious button smashing. I'd actually like to try a new class and actually think about how to play the game again. Might make me a better player overall.
  9. Midnitewolf Augur

On the other side of the coin, I don't think it is bad pointing out that a class has drawbacks because those drawbacks can make a huge difference in the enjoyment of a class.

For example, I didn't know anything about the Enchanter Charm Nerfs the first time I played a Chanter when I came back to play on a TLP. Absolutely fell in love with the Class, if I have to be honest, mostly because of how powerful Charms where for the first 60+ levels. I considered it a vital, class defining feature. Then I ran into the nerfs and I was nothing but disappointed, felt I wasted my time on the class and had zero desire to continue with it.

Then there are other classes, like the Shadow Knight which honestly I felt sucked , until you reached 55th level and honestly I feel didn't get really fun to play until PoP came out. Shaman was kind of the same for me. I really didn't enjoy playing the class until I got into my 50s.

If you ask me, in a game where there is just so much time invested in leveling and gearing your toon, I think an honest overview of what a player is getting themselves into is pretty damn vital. Know the good times and bad times one can expect from a class can mean the difference between having a great experience and rage quitting to be honest.
  10. Strikker New Member

I've been a healer since 2000. I don't hate it, but there is a part of me that want to learn something else. Rogue. I wanna be a rogue! (I don't know squat about rogues, it just sound very unclericy).

Of course, if I could score one of those clockwork warders...!
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Junklords