Help Deciding Class Please

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sizzle, May 4, 2022.

1. FadedshadeTLP Lorekeeper

You are obviously a necro player, being so defensive about it - What i said was facts and Necros will have the hardest time getting a group. You can blame it on inexperienced players or whatever, but for group DPS any mage or monk will blow a necros dps out of the water. Necros can provide certain utility, but nothing that cant be gotten from somewhere else. Im sorry that you read it like im sh*tting on necros, because i am really not - I am giving honest, legit advice to someone who asked a question.
  2. Slaytanik Elder

Played many different classes in Classic up to Pop and I'd take a Necro any day of the week. For the amount of utility they bring, dps, undead charm, etc., I'm not really sure who "dislikes" them in a group.

I also feel bad for any healer that is forced to heal a ranger trying to tank unless they're completely twinked out in gear, and even then....*shudder*.
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  3. Pizzanomicon Augur

I main shaman and enchanter.

I regularly recruit necros for groups because I understand how math and value works.

You aren't giving good advice, stop deluding yourself. Stick with actual facts ok : )

The fact you're encouraging inexperienced players to play Rangers " as a tank," is very telling. That's not to say it can't be done, but I wouldn't actively encourage people to do it. They are not terrible as a monk replacement for pulling/off tank though, and if forming a group and I had to do it, that's how I'd do it. Pop a MR buff on them and it's alright.

Just trying to put out some proper education. A lot of people that come back to these TLPs from being old casual EQ players have some wonky ideas of how this game actually works and what is objectively good/not good. This game is old enough that it's a solved game. The meta hasn't changed in almost 2 decades xD.

There's a reason the TLP meta up until the recent rat ears nerf ( RIP RATTOS,) was... play something good, then level your meme class via rat ears ( ranger/paladin/rogue.) If you ever rat eared a character you'd know it's true just by seeing the bulk of the classes doing turn ins. ( mostly rangers.)

Now, if someone has all their EQ knowledge right, and they want to show off playing ranger tank or whatever, that's their own business , I mean I'm honestly thinking about solo maining a druid , because I CAN.

Not that anything in this game is remotely challenging.
  4. Catalina Journeyman

one time i saw a group in classic seeking "melee dps only" LOL
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  5. Pizzanomicon Augur

S

Jank groups can actually be kind of fun depending on the zone.
  6. Manafasto Augur

Piranha groups can make quick kills if created correctly. Just like AoE groups do not want melee at times.
  7. Sizzle Journeyman

OK doing an unhealthy amount of reading about a 23 year old game from my childhood later, I've decided to rock a shaman. I'll make a monk or ranger once I've got some items to twink with and I can be an lizard or halfling. Now, the second most important answer: which race? Troll or live out my desire from 2001 and play a barb?
    Appren and Pizzanomicon like this.
  8. rangerous Elder

Either troll for the regen or ogre for the frontal stun immunity. Barbs have the best look but halas is horrible origin point and barbs dont get either of the great bonuses the other two races get.
  9. hearty New Member

Play a barb. Live your dream.
    Sizzle likes this.
  10. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

gross
  11. Truetotheblue Augur

Clam class. Only choice.
    Timmyboi likes this.
  12. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

/nods in Othmir
    Pizzanomicon and Truetotheblue like this.
  13. Pizzanomicon Augur

Ultimately if you want the best solo capabilities you'll go Ogre ( you'll want stun immunity when you get torpor and are soloing ), but I won't pretend like Troll isn't lit for classic only. Also, trolls get access to a snare clicky necklace, and a clicky fear mask via quests, make sure you pick Innoruuk deity. It's pretty nice honestly. Not amazing, but the snare neck can be kind of nice in a group for runners.
  14. ISupportGuilds Journeyman

Depends on gear. As a Cleric (best class for tlp). I could solo a ton of Classic and Kunark and Velious content. Now saying that I would always lose a DPS race against non-melee and SK-MNKS.. But I could solo somethings they couldn't. Now if solo is a necro will out perform any class and if boxing Cleric/Enchanter will take you to GoD
  15. Slaytanik Elder

Please explain these two comments. You are saying that a Ranger is the best group tank in Classic above a Shadow Knight and Paladin. I'd like to hear your reasoning and thought process behind this.

Also, the ranger is the 2nd best puller (Bard being the 1st)? Explain.
  16. Vindar Augur

T

What is this? So terribly wrong.

Necro is some of the best DPS in classic and the best soloer by far. Jack of all trades would be a druid. Will be very good in a group and definitely in raids.

Monk is like a necro without spells? What is this nonsense. They're excellent DPS and can pull very well, so not sure what you mean by "they don't do much". Feigning is great if you bite off more than you can chew, or you need to split up a spawn. It's great utility to have. That with mend and you have pretty good survivability too.

Rangers CAN tank, but saying they're the best is so completely wrong. Best would be SK, with Paladin being next. Warrior not so great because they're so gear dependent, but they become the best once they become raid geared.

I wouldn't worry about finding groups, that will come easy. The vast majority of people do not care, and those that do are probably playing in a static group already so they don't matter. Just play what you think you will enjoy the most.
    Slaytanik likes this.
  17. Slaytanik Elder

I'd actually love to watch a ranger pull in LGuk when Yelinak launches in the "go go go" mode. Should be entertaining to say the least.
  18. Hirbow Augur

Another thing you can do while there's plenty of time while you wait for the servers is go to the test server, make the level one class that you want to try out and type /testbuffme. It will auto grant you level 25, with gear and spells, and it will give you a mid level character that should have enough flavor of the class to play around with.
    Hopefully that can give you a bit more insight.
    Sizzle likes this.
  19. Sizzle Journeyman

That is a brilliant idea and exactly how I'm going to spend my evening.
  20. Zansobar Augur

You can buy race change potions in the store. So for example you can go DE Necro then when Kunark drops race change to Iksar. Race is most important as it determines the location of your origin AA ability that you get at like level 5 or 6. Ogre melee frontal stun immunity is pretty useful and regeneration for Iksar, for example, so there are some racials that are worth it. But just remember you can race change so don't worry if you screw up your choice.
  21. Zansobar Augur

Necros have to be charming if they want to be in the top dps level. Luckily they get great tools to do that as long as you have undead nearby.