Cemetery zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Malpighi, May 1, 2022.

1. Malpighi New Member

Been playing this game for a long time, enjoyed it, still do, fond memories. Meet many players, some have gone, either quiet or past away. I would like to see the addition of a zone where players can build a monument to a lost player (gone but not forgotten), especially one who past away. I know several who died due to accident or illness. I mentioned this in game on a few occasions in groups or guildies and I received positive feedback. How about adding a Cemetery zone for such agenda? Similar to the housing district, but on a different tone.
    Brontus likes this.
  2. Celephane Augur

I like your idea, but there is way way too much potential for abuse, sadly
    Duder and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Any game is ripe for abuse, when the players are granted the ability to provide direct input. Just look at some of the player names we're seeing these days vs back when the naming policy was in place and enforced.

I think they could manage, with the right implementation. Don't just let players go wild/freestyle. Just like guild creation of old, require it to be approved.

To help limit spam, have a threshold set where enough individual accounts would be required prior to passing on for approval.

EQ has recognized players in the past. Faraday Stormrider's Fiery Avenger, for one example.

They could utilize Shadowrest, since it has long been unused, thus not littering the game world with memorials that seem out of place.
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Please explain the potential for abuse.

If one of my loved ones or friends who played EQ passed away in real life, I would gladly pay $100 or more for a living memorial for their character in a special Memorial zone.

CSHOME is the special guides only zone. There is a barbarian female that wanders the zone. She was a Senior Guide that passed away. SOE created a living memorial for this person. That was a wonderful gesture. I see nothing wrong with this.
  6. Bardy McFly Augur

Came here to say this.
  7. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Players making memorials for themselves just to see their name

No way to verify it is being used for a departed player

Using cuss words or hidden meanings on the plaques.

As mentioned in those links above, some players make memorials with names made with different swords or staffs etc and someone else mentioned they made their own graveyard in their guild neighborhood.

Which I think is a great idea as there are already stones and coffins available that you could customize. And it should be in your guild neighborhood since it was a guild mate.

I am neither for nor against it. There are a lot of players who will pass unnoticed also because they do not have a large circle of friends in the game or belong to a large guild so it would only be fitting there be an "unknown player" memorial too.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea the zone is pretty dead! :)
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  9. Flatchy Court Jester

When I die please make a ghost troll wander the haflings area in nektulos forest crapping all over their pathing.
    Stymie, Bardy McFly and Elyssanda like this.
  10. Paladin Augur

Buy a plot (even if with an Alt) in the Housing Zone, and create Memorials there. Words Can be made using Summoned weapons (and you can shrink them down for longer names).
  11. Enigman New Member

The best way I could answer this is by example. A fellow on my server passed away. He had been quite vocal in General Chat, so a lot of people told tales of his exploits, and he was an occasional topic of conversation over the next couple of months, and then now and again after that.

Nine months later, he returned to EQ, laughing at the great joke he had played on the server, and mocking the people who had sent emails to his family over the loss.

He passed away again a year and a half ago. A member of his family said it was real this time, but some of the older players on the server still wonder if he will show up again chortling at the great joke he played again.

He was the most prominent person on the server who I recall doing something like this, but I have seen a few others over the years who showed up after a few years away saying they had believed they had closed the chapter on EQ and had decided to simply be dead to end things properly.
  12. Aanuvane Augur

What if there were something purchasable from the marketplace that "unlocks" the other three guild hall plots in a guild specific neighborhood where you cannot place another guild hall, but you could use additional guild hall plots to place other items (anything placeable). Then also create a marketplace headstone item that allows the purchaser to associate a name with item while placing it in one of these extra guild hall plots. Could even potentially have several different styles of headstone/memorial. If you can figure out how to make a configurable headstone/memorial, you could also offer banners that are placeable in the GH.

If we can't repurpose the unused GH plots, then have the feature add an extra plot to Guild neighborhoods for this purpose.

I'm not overly concerned about the risk of abuse, put similar code in place that covers naming even if it has gotten looser over the years. I'm also not the least bit concerned about people putting markers down for people who aren't deceased - let people get creative and do whatever they want to do with the feature as long as they avoid the offensive. They get caught being offensive, use the report feature for remedy.
  13. Aanuvane Augur