The relaxation of TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zephiron, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Legends Elder

If you wanna box on one PC so badly, go play the new TLP, pretty simple. Maybe even go try Rizlona.

You guys had maybe 200 likes in that last thread. That's nothing compared to the population of Mischief.
    There are a lot of people on Mischief actually playing the game, not crying that they cant box while moving around their house, that don't want this change and aren't aware they need to come voice their concerns about having their TLP ruleset changed after playing on it for a year.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

Put it to a vote.
    Legends likes this.
  3. Whitesoul Journeyman

As server population dies down ..they should allow you do play as many EQ characters as you want on any amount of computers.
  4. tikles Journeyman

The other thread got locked, after mostly positive interaction from the community. So, it is clear they do have the ability to tweak true box, they have the ability to reduce or relax it. Please, for mature TLPs, reduce or drop truebox. Is the right number 3 clients open per PC? 6? unlimited? Who knows, but more than 1 seems clear after a certain point in a TLP lifecycle.

What was the original purpose for limiting clients per PC, and what is the current purpose? To combat armies RMT'ing group and raid gear, or combat armies who blocked flags, keys, epics, or progression? Can we agree truebox does nothing to combat botting, as those who run automation programs can easily also take the next step to bypass truebox? So, when in the lifecycle of a TLP does open world competition become obsolete (where the advantage of more boxed toons can overwhelmingly lead to unfair competition)?

There are 2 questions here: when does it make sense to relax true box, and the amount of that relief?

When open world content was a large part of the game, sure truebox would add a layer of complexity to box armies, however past DoDh.. or certainly by TSS, mostly all group or raid progression is an instanced mission or instanced raid, and what one person does in their instance has no bearing on another.
    TheGuy and Tweakfour17 like this.
  5. Ragnoruk Augur

I would argue that OW isn't even relevant anymore. I understand that there are guilds that like to compete for it but you don't need to. The last 3 guilds I have been in were AoC only raiders, no batphone stuff, and my characters are always fully raid geared.
    Tweakfour17 and Manafasto like this.
  6. Manafasto Augur

Last raiding guild I was in and took somewhat serious was on Rizlona. I am a single character player and I had a blast just doing AoC. We were all geared well by just doing AoC.
    Tweakfour17, Gormgeous and Ragnoruk like this.
  7. Kujoe Lorekeeper

1 client per PC at start // 3 clients per PC at some points (ya'll eq devs likely have population data to determine when the exodus hits critical mass on a TLP - DoDH? TSS? SoD?) // unlimited clients per PC around HoT/VoA (or similar advanced expansion).
    TheGuy and Cardozo like this.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Only people with the cash for multiple devices can.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/privilege

noun
    1. a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed by a particular person or a restricted group of people beyond the advantages of most: the privileges of the very rich.
    Herin I show my own, I have 4 PCs and 2 laptops to work with.

also- Boxing, within a given server's rule set isn't "Cheating" You affixing the label "cheat" is just because you're mad you aren't privileged and you dislike the actual rule set put forth by the developer.

YOUR rules do not out rank theirs.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

When fewer than 3 raid guilds can survive without automating. It should be population based. Some TLPs have MUCH higher attrition rates due to varied rule sets.
  10. Muramx Augur

As much as I like mischief and it was fun actually grouping with people to do things, there comes a point where it becomes pretty much mandatory to be boxing if you want to do anything. Until the GoD drop off (happens every time) I could put up LFG and in maybe 20-30mins I would have a group. I could be in the group all day and players would just rotate out. Now it takes about 2 hours sometimes to find a group or I will get to a group, and it collapses because for 40mins they have been looking for a specific role or I am forced into loading up another character to keep it going.

I know when I played on live right around mid OoW I started boxing and within an expansion or 2 I had a full group going because I after trying to get a group (either LFG or forming one) it was quicker to load everyone up and hit something up.

I think there should be relax on the truebox at a certain point, but that point shouldn't be the same for each server that has the rules and more about what the server looks like. Letting a person run 2-3 chars isn't going to hurt anything. The only people running box armies are going to do it Irregardless of "truebox" or not because they are doing the RMT racket.
  11. Pizzanomicon Augur

Being able to box two characters on one pc with broadcasting would be amazing and honestly be the best compromise. A lot of people just want options.
    Soulsiphon likes this.
  12. Stormblossom Elder

Okay, you're welcome to say I'm delusional, but having been drawn to the truebox TLPs from the get-go and choosing them because of the truebox ruleset hoping it would curb the nasty behavior, I will 100% repeat the same thing:

Truebox is an abject failure. It doesn't stop the problematic players. I have been KSed and driven from XP camps on Phini, Aradune, and even on Thornblade with its low population by groups as small as 6 and as large as 18 that were obviously bypassing the truebox code. Usually mage armies. Usually in camps with high value items or plat rewards. Usually to the point that I was never able to get the items I wanted in era because I refused to cough up Krono for them.

I single box only until Mercs go live. After seeds I usually have a jukebox bard on autofollow because I am bad at boxing regardless of what is currently live and don't use 3pp. I will also drop my box for real players in a heartbeat.

As was stated elsewhere in the thread, AoCs and picks have done a lot to improve the state of play, but truebox itself didn't really help.

The people who make getting items impossible aren't average people blocked by truebox code, they are cheaters who use various 3pp and bypass it. They weren't dissuaded on previous TLP. They weren't dissuaded on current TLP. They are unlikely to be dissuaded on upcoming TLP.

Real players who box to continue to be able to have enough characters to advance and socialize with those who don't run the hamster wheel of TLP get caught in the crossfire. The kind of people single boxed players like me rely on if we want to ever see the later eras of the game without boxing being mandatory.

I am also curious what horse you have in the race of being against slow phasing out of Truebox rules on current TLP servers? You are busy rattling for how you would like the rules for Vaniki to change in another thread. You obviously don't plan to stay with Mischief/TB into later eras. I have actual friends currently playing who are burned out on manually boxing and want to shift to single box play, and will likely end up off my server because of it and have frankly said they would keep playing if they could box on a single PC, but truebox makes it too cumbersome.

Obviously if I was in favor of automated play and nothing but box teams I would have played on Rizlona, but I chose Aradune under the false assumption that strict truebox would make a difference. It didn't.
    Ragnoruk likes this.
  13. TheGuy New Member

As they are adding it to the new servers, I can't quite think of why they wouldn't add it to all of them, kind of like when they retroactively added AoCs all over town. It was a change that normalized servers that just made sense.

The bigger question in my mind would be why is there more form activity for the mature TLP servers vs the new ones? Swing and a miss on the new features of the 2 servers?

Unless, is truebox relaxation really the only "special server characteristic" to distinguish these two new servers which may draw the crowd?
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  14. Kahna Augur

I prefer using separate computers. Other than a quick log on for a res or buff or something I prefer to truebox my 4 toons. I think I can manage them better with my number pads than I could with alt tabbing.

The relaxation of truebox would have little to no impact on me, and I would still love to see truebox relaxed on existing servers under the Vaniki/Yelinak guidelines. It would have little impact on the game as a whole, other than making a few people happy and more likely to keep playing.
    TheGuy and Gormgeous like this.