Alligator Warders

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zenless, Apr 24, 2022.

1. zenless Journeyman

Can we re-address getting Alligator warders back with the new server improvements? It would be amazing.
  2. Moege Augur

They were changed since the flatness gave problems with the Z-axis, doubt that there has being any significant improvements in the calculations.

Not holding my breath to see them revert the change.
    MasterMagnus and Barton like this.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

It caused massive problems like Moege said. Think you can still find some of the discussion about it on old Beastlord forums. I find it highly unlikely that going from 32bit to 64bit changed anything about those issues. Maybe with all the new help they are hiring they could revisit altering/redoing the graphic and bringing it back if they could be convinced it is worth it. G'Luck on your quest to find your lost warder
    menown likes this.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

Sad because I loved my gator buddy. Stupid 6 armed lizard I got now cant even scare a hafling. How about a Petamorph gator , most people would not use it probably.
  5. Silver-Crow Augur

Personally i prefer the Basilisk :).
  6. Iven the Lunatic

DBG better should get a new 3D composer if they cannot fix the alligator issue.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. Wobat New Member

The only way to make everyone happy is make it so Vah Shir are the only race that can be beastlords.
    Vumad likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Problem was geometric not ram or processing, the old alligator got stuck all the dang time cus it's geometry was bigger than the model appeared, the devs even tried to shrink the gator (twice) to see if that would solve the problem but it didn't.
    The devs at the time did say that the basilisk was only a temporary solution until they could come up with a working fix (new alligator model would probably have been required) but as with many things it got pushed so far back in the priorities list it eventually fell off the list.
    I don't think I recall a dev saying that the basilisk was now the permanent fix but they haven;t ever said that fixing the old warder was still happening either.

File under fixes that the devs never got around to.
    The great slap in the face is that Bestial alignment still transforms the troll beastlord into the old gator look, a constant reminder of what was taken from them.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I hear thars some bigguns in florida

The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office shared a video on its Facebook page of what they estimated to be a 10-foot alligator strolling through the Venice, Florida, neighborhood.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

And this PC version does not get stuck in geometry ? o_O If the 3D box of the pet would have the same size than that of a bug free pet you could place any 3D model inside it and it should work.
  11. Herf Augur

Couldn't they just make extend the figure volume vertically slightly so the pet would be just a bit higher than the ground?
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

They just need to make a new Alligator with the new model tools which is as aesthetically close to the orginal as they can get but with modern geometry to avoid all the issues the old one had.

And then make the bestial alignment model match that new gator warder.
  13. dwish Augur

Completely agree! As someone who has played an Ogre BST since 2004, the old school troll model with the gator pet was the most sexy BST out there. I mainly went Ogre for the frontal stun immunity. If they ever introduce guktan/frog beastlords though.....
  14. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I have been using Rivervale Deputy illusion and Lodizal pet illusion on my beastlord. It is an awesome combo.
  15. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Trolls with pet Lockjaws were too scary for EQ! I know I zone plugged everytime I saw one of those 30 foot Crocs!
  16. Decease New Member

pls can we have another warder that isnt basilisk
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

What pet would the frogloks have? Mosquitos?
    CatsPaws likes this.
  18. Barton The Mischievous

Not sure any flying insects would be a good idea, they might eat their warder. lol
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

My guess, Moege is on to the most correct issue.

Shrinking didn't fix it, because it is not that the 'geometry is too big'.

Old EQ models are in separate parts. The model itself is just a shell of vertices (and uv map of textures), no armature/bones or rigging.

The armature (skeleton) is a separate file. Both the model and the armature have an Origin point. Usually vector3(0,0,0) Right in the center on the 'ground'.

If one of the origin points are a little low, or the animations drag the model's origin too low, the model (with a low to the ground belly) can sometimes clip into the ground.

If the model gets clipped into the ground, the pathing code can't find it's way to navigate 'up' in the z axis.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Salamanders was a suggestion I have seen before for them, would be apt given the coloration they can have would match with the Guktan skin tones.
    Flatchy likes this.