Passive AA's from items.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Hothbra, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Hothbra Journeyman

Can someone clarify this for me,

When clicking an item for a passive AA, do you need to keep that said item to reenable the buff?
    The passive gives you a perm buff, but if removed, you would need to click that item again to reactivate? I don't see the option of a hot-key from the AA list once achieved.

Am I understanding that right?
    Is every passive AA item like this? No "off-screen" passives?

Thanks
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sorta and depends :D

Any of them that just grant you the passive AA when you click them are only good to keep around for buffers (see what I did there)

in other words you can use them to fill buffs slots so mobs dispell those instead of your good buffs. Bit of a pain I think that is, esp when someone is whining for buffs and has no open slots cause they are full with "shadow of whatever" that already served its purpose.

Once clicked you do not need to refresh - they are permanent.

A couple exceptions to this (there may be more) are Illusionary Spikes/Hateful Guard (from back slot items) and the weapon stance buff for tank classes. Those you need present in the Effects/Buffs window in order for them to be enabled so you may want to hang onto the item
  3. Hothbra Journeyman

Alright, ya clarifies it. I was initially under the impression that you just gained those passive AA's (+180hp, +400mana, +15 AC, etc, etc) forever and ever, but have come to realize, as you have said, they are just buffs T.T

Really makes them somewhat redundant if MGB's are avail 24/7
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

If it's an item with a clicky AA effect, you can equip it, click it to get the new AA rank, then take it off and click off the buff, unless you need junk buffs for dispelling mobs.

Whenever my guildmates and I happen to get a piece of chase loot to drop with a clicky effect, one of us will equip it, click it (becasue it's typically a higher rank of that passive AA than we currently have), unattune it, then pass the dutchie on the left hand side, and have everyone do the same until we all have the AA...then we decide who gets the item for the stats.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

Your initial impression is correct. He did a poor job of answering you.

When you click an item that grants a passive AA, you gain that AA (or it ranks up the one you have) PERMANENTLY. Regardless of the "Shadow of" buff on you, or even still having the item.

Case in point, on Thornblade i purchased several items for the click for me and a friend, then re-sold them to buy others.

So yes, you can have "offscreen passives" as you put it. (Historical Note: It didn't use to be like that, but that was before clicking the item granted you an AA. Once they implemented the AA's under the special tab, the buffs these items granted became the "Shadow of" lines that don't do anything.)

You can keep the items around for "Junk buffs" (the Shadow of WHATEVER buffs you get when you click them), those buffs offer NOTHING AT ALL other then taking up a buff slot. Hence why they make good junk buffs, they won't even conflict or block any other buffs and offer you nothing so losing them means nothing :)

Now, there are some items (the Illusionary Spikes line is a good example) that give a "permanent" buff but no AA along with it, those effects you need to keep the buff up to have them. Note though, they don't grant an AA and aren't don't start with "Shadow of" as part of the buff name.

I hope that was clear enough.
  6. Hothbra Journeyman

Alright, so for example - 'Veil of the Inferno' (AA +180hp). If unlocked I would have +180hp indefinitely regardless of a "buff" being displayed? Is that presumption correct?
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You can actually loose the permanent AA, so I would keep the original clickie-items if I were you.

There are 2 ways that can happen:
    You can manually disable them all, by activating a specific AA made for that purpose.
    Or you can activate an item-AA that doesn't stack with the one you already have, and the original will be removed. "knowledge of the past" and "soothing breath" is an example. They will overwrite each other and you can accidently overwrite a highrank AA with a lower ranking AA that way.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  8. Hothbra Journeyman

K that helps clarify it, along with the other responses.

I'm going to presume DS line AA's have to stay buff displayed correct?
  9. Hothbra Journeyman

Good to know.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  10. Zanarnar Augur

There are no Damage shield item buff AA's (at least that I am aware of?). So if the item gives you a damage shield buff (even permanent ones), you'll have to re-click them if you lose the buff.

As for Veil of the Inferno (https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=3856) your understanding correctly! once you click that buff, short of disabling them (or in the case of the 2 that don't stack overwriting one with the other); its yours forever. (of course, upgrades will give you higher ranks of the AA line. Often they have a different name for the buff too for a while. For example This earring (**) and This range item both clickie the same buff line. The latter is a higher rank though.)

** of note, Grim aura is indeed the first rank of that attack AA line, I can't remember if Zam just has an old description, or if its that way in game too because its also a spell a few classes get. Either way just imagine it has the same description as the dagger but says 15 attack not 25.)
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

If you click it and it has a buff with a timer, or isn't displayed in the passive AAs on the Special tab, yeah, you need to hang on to it and click it again when it fades.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Delete the ones that say Shadow in the effects window icon inspect window.

Keep them physically around if you want to swap (some click effects do not stack or overwrite. but share a slot and the old one must be removed)