With zone copies being a thing, why is there still such a raging hate against boxing on tle servers?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cronar, Apr 12, 2022.

1. MacArthurIV New Member

I agree. But I also felt like the random loot took important feels away from the game. Locations no longer mattered and rare didn't seem rare anymore. Loot was dropping like gangbusters and felt devalued. There was no driving reason to go to any particular zone. I understand that at this point it seems like I'm contradicting my own wants, but the Mischief solution took a lot of the fun out of the game for me (even though it prevented misery in a different way).

I'd love to see a heavily enforced single character per IP server with no krono trading and a limit on how much plat can be traded per day (cap increases per expansion or something). Dedicated GMs. And charge a premium monthly price for it. We can talk on and on about how it will fail but no one knows for sure until it's tried. If announced ahead of time to let the word spread, my gut says it will end up being hugely popular and will be a server that maintains population into later expansions better than any other TLP. (I have quit several TLPs early, out of frustration, due to the obvious RMT camping.)
    Mirix and Ponter like this.
  2. Murdukethegreat New Member

At some point main bards and clerics are almost non existant. Not allowing boxing after a certain era is basically a death sentence.
  3. Zrender Augur

1 char per person would be cool if it was possible. I'd pay extra for it. IP filtering wouldn't work, it would just end up the same as aradune. Would need more advanced methods and a lot of policing. I mean right now I could log in to 3 different networks without even using a vpn just by using phones and that's not even trying. I'm ok with random loot because it does solve some hoarding problems but free trade was just too much, even though I thought I wanted it at the time.
    Ponter likes this.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

Unrest being full wouldnt force people elsewhere. People would just be more toxic in unrest.
    Zinth likes this.
  5. Intercept Augur

Because people want groups to play with and if you have a group on your own then they cannot really join you nor can they compete.

Many times if people just added random people to their groups these situations would work themselves out, but oftentimes the boxer doesn't want to because they might feel it could be more trouble than it's worthwhile the single player might not want to actually put in the effort of asking to join the group while just shouting in chat or being in /lfg waiting for an invitation.

Many times it comes down to initiative.
  6. Ponter Elder

Possibly... and maybe it would be similar to back in the day where the toxic jerks just didn't get grouped with. And even if some people were more toxic, I'd suspect more would be OK with just spreading out some. No sense not trying new things to see if they create a better experience. Hell instead of limiting picks they could also just equalize the experience bonus across different dungeons so there's no obvious best grouping location.
  7. Machen New Member

They have basically done this. Mob density and respawn time trump experience bonus.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

You can suspect all you want. People dont like trying to new things. That's why we are all playing this stupid old af game.

The people that do like new things, will have already been trying.
  9. Ponter Elder

The version of the game we're all playing is itself fundamentally a new thing, and the TLPs have been a series of new things people have been trying with every release. DBG has two options. Do something, or do nothing. The question is what's the downside to adding a system that encourages doing something more similar to how it used to be? In this iteration there's like 5 zones that everyone just steamrolls through, and if you're a casual you have to also go to those zones because that's where the groups are. If there was a way to spread people out, the people who are gonna level fast are still gonna level fast, but more casual players will also be able to group elsewhere too.
  10. Zinth Augur

those were heavily used, every place where, before we got /picks
  11. Zinth Augur

as a boxer I often add people, but I also FAST filter out the AFK'er, the NEED everything dude, the extremely sucky player, the unwilling to learn "newbie" etc. just like everything else do because they are annoying and they won't get invited ever again... I don't care if their class is "low dps" like rogues are in classic... I had 2 rogues continue to join my groups because noone else wanted em (bad dps) but they were two cool dudes, fun to hang out with, we had good chats and all that and yes they were not chanter charm dps, but they were good company and we were waiting on repops anyways so what's the big deal? people are too min/max these days