Truebox, does it really help?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bigz_Zupdarty, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

Its been quite sometime now that nearly every server that is released has truebox code. On nearly every single one of these servers there is always someone getting around it. Boxing 40+ toons farming raid loot ect.

Now dont get me wrong there are plenty of people who are using 6-12 machines at a time to box legit on these servers. There is way more people just spinning up more instances of the game on a single PC getting around the truebox code however. Those people that are finding ways around the code, are the same people the whole system was designed to prevent from doing so.

The whole system needs to be reworked to actually target the people boxing excessive amounts of characters. Boxing is a big part of EQ and its identity in the gaming marking. The people who suffer from Truebox code are your regular casual players, people who are not willing to break ToS in order to box on a single PC.

I classify myself as a boxer in EQ. Having your own group that you slowly build overtime is an experience a large portion of the community enjoys. Boxing on 6+ machines though is a chore without using third party programs to help with keystrokes, and that isnt allowed anyways. But yet still this is how so many people resort to boxing on truebox servers.

Do the community a solid, let us box a reasonable amount of characters on a single PC without having to break ToS to do so. Target the people who you think are a problem, not the entire EQ population.

ps. I own 6 comps and can 6 box that way, its just a chore.

pps. I wont respond to this post ever, flame on.
    Ragnoruk, Siah and Cloudous like this.
  2. Cideral Lorekeeper

net harmful effect. Does it enhance traditional group availability at the start of a new TLP? Surely so. Yet those who use boxing to monopolize/content block use workarounds and are ever-present. and when a server reaches the point where the people who jump off the ride at pop/GoD/etc starts reducing server population, those who might remain if they could fill the loss with boxes, cannot. I personally believe the loudest voices against relaxed truebox are from those who don't stick around on servers to be there when truebox would be relaxed. Maybe they actually want servers to die early in hopes the people who would have stuck it out as a server progressed, will start over with them. Not everyone is a Classic through Luclin only enthusiast. But hey - ooc regen at GoD is a start. Relaxed truebox at Omens would be a sure sign that the developers are not also in favor of early server population deaths.
  3. Legends Elder

Nice job just making up things that fit your agenda. Where is your proof of this?

You anti-truebox kids never give up. Of course it helps. There is a reason on launches truebox is by far the most popular choice.
  4. Ythera Augur

Is it the most popular choice because it’s almost always the only choice?
  5. Legends Elder

Aradune and Rizlona say hello. Rizlona is the most fresh non-truebox, so boxer/third party cheating heaven, and even that server doesn't remain high all the time. Non-truebox servers are not as popular as people on here try to make them out to be.
  6. Ythera Augur

These servers?

Apparently pictures can't post, otherwise you'd see a picture of Aradune at medium population and Rizlona at high population.
  7. Legends Elder

You guys literally say the same thing over and over.

Go split the Rizlona(boxing population) across as many truebox TLPs we have atm and then get back to me.

The fact the one boxing serer doesn't remain high and drops to medium is a pretty big indicator if we had even 1 more recently released boxing TLP both would be medium to low pop servers I'd wager. At best 1 high and 1 low.

People wanting to box on one PC have one recent option and that option isn't even a server filled to the brim at all hours. Sorry the majority aren't interested in what you like.
  8. Cideral Lorekeeper

Rizlona is a one time anomaly. Providing options with every TLP generation is the only way to compare it as if it were actually a "choice".

And, people seem to be showing evidence of Rizlona being more popular anyway.

Community formal polling by Daybreak is needed so that everyone can stop claiming the masses share their viewpoint without proof.
    Ponter likes this.
  9. Legends Elder

Idk, people begged for a boxing server how long? Since Magefire? They get one and its not even full around the clock. Seems pretty obvious its a smaller community that doesn't need a non-truebox server as often as truebox.

I'd be all for making Yelinak non-truebox though. Server will be dead regardless. Might as well do this and see the impact on the Rizlona population.
  10. Cideral Lorekeeper

there's no need to make any server start non truebox; just remove or relax truebox alongside the launch of the next TLP generation. not just this year, every time a new TLP launches. most stalwart anti-box players will leave for the next TLP generation (no matter what year we're in) if they didn't already leave at PoP-Omens
  11. Ponter Elder

But I like my confirmation biases! I don't want solutions, I want to be angry!
  12. Jakuk Lorekeeper

Truebox till PoP is just fine forces more people to goup with others not all cause cheaters are going to cheat but the majority of players.
  13. Machen New Member

If only there were a recent server that didn't have truebox code...
  14. error Augur

I'd say that it probably isn't stopping the people they'd actually want it to be stopping.
    Galleyan and Zinth like this.
  15. Zinth Augur

DING DING DING we have a winner :D it's a "tool" to placate the antiboxers, it annoys the normal boxers and it does nothing whatsoever to all the RMT botters.

All those that want to "force" people to group with them, are the usual bunch that won't have groups in the long while when people "meet them in game" because of "insert various reasons like shoddy player, loudmouth, obnoxious behaviour, wreck waiting to happen, know-it-all-but-still-constantly-kills-the-group-elitist" and so on and so on... they get a short period where people group with em and then never again... where as the people I know that box, often grouped together and form tight nit friendships (what happened the 5 ish years we had Phinny) and I as a boxer (3 chars) had two rogues keep joining me in Lguk on Lockjaw, why? because none of the "groupers" wanted to group with them, because rogues were bad dps... we had a LOT of fun, I had some great company, they got a group, exp and loot. So groupers and boxers do actually hang out together, it's not like there is a huge canyon inbetween... yes there are 6 boxers that mind themselves (know a few of those) also know a couple of dual 3boxers etc. and they all had room for guildies needing help or a group etc. most of em would even drop all but 1 char as long as those joining could fill the spots needed so we had a functioning group (heal, tank, cc etc.)
    Ragnoruk, Cideral and Galleyan like this.
  16. Galleyan Augur

This right here is the core issue.

Truebox, as it stands right now, is nothing more than a lock on a door. It keeps the honest people honest. It does exactly zero to stop the people who need to be stopped.

I don't mind truebox; but I definitely think it should go away at some point in every server's life. It definitely does EVENTUALLY do far more harm than good as populations dwindle.
    Cideral likes this.
  17. Basak Augur

I do not like to be forced to group with people, I want to have the option to do so, which is why I tend to fall short on TLP servers. Rizlona is the only TLP I have actually enjoyed playing on because I have the option to multi-box without needing multiple systems. Most TLPs I drop out Kunark or Velious because I just start to get bored of soloing (or duoing with my second system) with Rizlona I was able to run my own full group and go all the way up to GoD. But my addiction to this game brings me back to these TLP to give it another go True-box or not. I would much prefer a non-True-box server so I can run my six, but I take what I can take and hope I can make the run and with the true-box relaxing to 3 down the line that actually is better than nothing and a great idea that may be the key to get me to last longer.
    Zinth likes this.
  18. Xeris Augur

Because dof truebox, you have maybe 1-2 mass boxers each server trying to monopolize content. Without truebox you'd have 100 scumbags 50 boxing.

It absolutely helps. I feel like the people who don't like truebox are just mad about the small number of people savvy enough to circumvent the rules, when they can't do the same. Truebox is super useful even tho it's not completely effective.
    Zrender, Dragon Jockey and Legends like this.
  19. Razzle Augur

I play EQ to play with other people, not boxes or mercs. If I just wanted to play a game by myself, I would just go play any other game out there today. The reason most people play on TLPs is because they can group with other people until about Oow when the population drops. Then the boxes take over, then mercs and real people stop grouping with each other. If you want to box with yourself just play on live where there is no Truebox. I made the mistake of transferring a toon over to Rizlona. I didn't realize the whole server is just people with box armies. What a waste of money. I didnt want to go to a server where people don't group together. If I wanted to just box I would go to live.
    MBear likes this.
  20. Cideral Lorekeeper

If that's a reference to Rizlona, he did say "nearly". And then there's the fact that truebox isn't the only crucial ruleset issue. Some prefer free trade, and going to rizlona isn't going to solve that one.

Also, even if no one has put it into words, the reality is that the underlying community push is for TLP going forward to have an overall different dynamic. Free trade and relaxed truebox are the main talking points right now but there are others that will come up once these are solved. For example, I don't think anyone was calling for OOC regen to be moved up to GoD, but that's only because the advocacy is focused on relaxed truebox and freetrade. Moving OOC regen up to GoD almost makes you think the devs have their finger on the pulse of what a server needs to stave off the post-PoP population die-off...except that improving the OOC regen situation is like starting midway in the priority list instead of at the top.

Someone's going to come in with the "free trade plus anything but draconian truebox=kronolords yadda yadda". First of all, you can buy decent stuff for sub-krono prices, at least on Thornblade (expecting to get bleeding edge raid gear for less than krono prices is madness). Secondly, krono are official daybreak currency so the very idea of demeaning krono traders is like saying "we hate people that make Daybreak money". in theory it shouldn't arise much sympathy from Daybreak. Thirdly, there are what they call "kronolords" on non-freetrade servers too. For you see, much of the gear in the Classic through Luclin era that some people like to repeat ad nauseam, is tradeable even on no trade servers. And loot rights fills in the gap.