WoW player housing will ruin TLP player base

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jakuk, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Jakuk Lorekeeper

If WoW decides to implement player housing you can guarantee there will be far ;less players interested in the 2022 EQ TLPs unless Daybreak decides to beef them up with something better.
  2. Vlahkmaak Augur

Anyone wanting to play house could just log over to EQ2.
    Thewiz and Rebelicious like this.
  3. Jakuk Lorekeeper

You forget alot of TLPers are also hard core WoW fans and very few are EQ2 fans
  4. brickz Augur

Not even going to bother addressing the stupid point in the OP, but you are aware if you stick with the game long enough, EQ has housing, right?
    Oakenblade likes this.
  5. error Augur

I'm not seeing the correlation between housing in WoW and the EQ TLP playerbase...
    Cloudous, Skuz, rangerous and 3 others like this.
  6. Rebelicious Augur

LOL naw...
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  7. Rebelicious Augur

Pretty sure it's his way of asking for player housing on EQ TLPs... would kinda be a fun "new" TLP if they added some extra housing content! But I doubt many will leave TLP's for WOW's housing...
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  8. Arclyte Augur

someone is really upset they didnt get their ultra niche TLP ruleset and is spamming the forums with trash
  9. Zansobar Augur

There are far fewer people interested in the 2022 TLPs than their were for the 2021 TLPs already. It's hard to go back to a regular server once you've experience free trade.
    Vlahkmaak likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You must have really long arms from all the reaching you do here.
    Doranur_Aleguzzler and Zrender like this.
  11. verbatim Elder

I've never understood why player housing was even implemented across the many MMOs that have done it. Its just a pure waste of resources.
    Tweakfour17 and **Dragonslayer** like this.
  12. Cideral Lorekeeper

Today's battle is free trade and relaxed truebox. Tomorrow's battle is guild halls and housing opened up at PoP.

Somehow we won the OOC regen at GoD battle without even fighting it -
  13. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I've installed WoW twice over the years. Never has it stayed installed more than two hours. You couldn't pay me to play it.
    I agree with this 100%. Give us more actual bank storage.
  14. Cideral Lorekeeper

I was hoping for the day that it isn't "player housing" but more like player built cities in the open world, that can perform many different shelter and economic functions. I hear SWG had something like this but it is gone of course.
  15. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

It would take an entire new version of EQ for open world settlements. The could never do it here. And yes, SWG had that, but it created so many problems. First off, people in the various militaries around the world got called up and deployed. Because they couldn't log in just to pay housing maintenance, what they had paid up, depleted, and the housing unit decayed until it was eventually removed from the servers, and everything inside was lost as well.

This prompted SOE to remove that complete decay mechanism, which would save potentially high value and rare items for people that had no choice but to be away from the game. As a side effect, that meant now the landscape was cluttered with "abandoned" structures, to include resource extractors. That had a negative impact on resource spawn access for players still around, and all the structures made spawning creature lairs, whether random or for terminal missions, really difficult.

To further compound the problems, SOE stopped doing daily server restarts, that were there to help maintain stability and performance for the servers. Those daily restarts would despawn random and even mission terminal creature lairs, in effect decluttering the landscape, and aiding with server performance and stability. Without that, lairs remained in the world until destroyed or the server went down, making it even more difficult to place player housing in the wild, and more importantly for a player-economy driven game, resource harvesting structures, as there was always a minimum distance from a lair to drop any structure.

I had long been a proponent of adding in housing that was instanced, much like the housing villages in EQ or even EQ2 now. I even laid out a detailed proposal on how to utilize the space stations in orbit over the major planets for not only player housing, but player association (guild) access. Because you don't want to clutter up space, when you can use instanced versions of the same space station. Same goes for player and NPC cities alike. Entire buildings could be designated for player housing, and you go to the terminal, choose the size "apartment" you want, pay the fee, and when you click on the door, it prompts you to select your unit, or if another player has a shop set up in their, or has it open for people to see how they decorated, you can enter those.

The point is, while most people that want player housing might want their own chunk of land to build on, so they can see those marvelous sunrises of the hills, things would get cluttered very quickly, and just as in the real world, some jerk is going to build right in front of you, spoiling your view. Instanced housing makes far more sense in the long run, both for game stability and player happiness.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Cideral Lorekeeper

i was thinking more of hoping that new games would come out where open world housing makes sense, not that EQ itself would adopt it. so far they have not, so far as I know and yes, EQ itself isn't designed for open world housing.

And, that in games where it does make sense, that there would be two versions- one instanced for those who want a safe location, but in open world for those that want to affect the world but are also willing to risk their city getting half burnt down if the equivalent of a somewhat rare Orc WAAAAGH comes along.

It'd be pretty exciting to have player housing located in a city that only survives because people put daily effort into upkeep of fortifications. Of course, there are issues like, what happens if it gets raided by some NPC army at 3AM while people are sleeping, but, it'd be better to have such a thing with imperfect solutions than no open world building at all. Again this is not for EQ but for a newly designed game (whether EQ or not) that is built for open world construction to make sense.

And if it wasn't obvious, my vision of open world building is more assets managed by entire communities or guilds than by individuals, but certainly it should be possible for an individual to create such a thing - just not easily managed by one.
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

SWG had player cities, run and managed by players. It still got out of control. You were limited to the number of structures inside the city limits based on population of the city. Once they got rid of housing decay, then you had cities filled with abandoned housing, and no room for new citizens to place a structure. Additionally, there was a cap on the number and sizes of player cities on each planet. When you factor in the other things I outlined above, it became an ungovernable and useless aspect of the game.

Just say no to open world player housing, of you like your game.
  18. Cideral Lorekeeper

that's the thing - first of all, I'm making the assumption of a new game, on modern engine, actually designed to meaningfully accommodate and integrate it into a meaningful role in the overall game. SWG was from 2003, surely we can design even better in 2022.

Secondly, there wouldn't be housing "decay", at least not in terms of plots expiring and poofing, but there wouldn't need to be in such a game as I mean: player constructions would decay via marauding NPCs pretty quickly unless resources were regularly expended over time to fortify them. Random buildings plopped by "I want to build too" individuals would get wrecked fast and wreckage would decay. Individual building wrecks would decay overnight; wrecks of large cities that fall to once a year level catastrophes might take weeks in order to give the possibility of reclaiming and rebuilding.

Side thought! Since size of a game's landmass could be relevant to whether player housing could fit, how large are the landmasses of newer games?

I found a post from 2018 saying EQ was 298 KM sq....and I've seen something saying LOTRO is 77000 sq km. But I haven't actually played LOTRO. Is that a misleading number or is there actually 77000 sq km of landmass in that game that will have you able to run across it in days or a week and not hours as those numbers would suggest? (edit: I mean, I'm pretty sure with a mount you could run across all EQ zones if they were stacked end to end in a few hours)
  19. Nolrog Augur

If WoW puts housing in, we’ll know that they did it first.
    Zrender, Skuz and Doranur_Aleguzzler like this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If they decide to implement player housing? A google search only returns results of players asking and hoping for player housing for the last couple of years with no indication that they are considering it.