please help me with symplifing 6 boxing on 6 pc for the new tlp.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by markkk, Apr 14, 2022.

1. markkk Lorekeeper

good suggestions to make it easier,it as to be within darkpaw rules,i use a number of hotkeys on each of my pc,my cleric pc has a hotkey to target each charecter including herself and heals over time,heal and group heals,the 9th key i use for sit,+and= i use for follow main.
    as long as its within the daybreak rules.
  2. Zrender Augur

Maybe this is what you're doing already. If you want to (with 100% certainty) stay within the rules with no 3rd party software just use usb keypads. It's fairly common. Though I don't box much anymore, I've used them before for 6 boxing and functionally it works just as well as boxing software just without the on screen frills, but also without the ongoing cost. DPG has said the 64 bit client will allow them to more actively find cheating and some boxing software uses hooks and function detours that are detectable and could be considered cheating so it's probably the safest way to go since we don't know where that's going. The keypads are small and so cheap you can even put stickers on the keys for various actions and just line them up above your main keyboard. I'd just set one key to follow, one to assist and do initial attack, dedicated keys to heal each group member on cleric, etc. At some point when I was doing that setup I was getting close to what I would consider optimal pug efficiency which is far beyond common pug efficiency lol.
    Initially I created my own truebox boxing program that works over the network but in the end the keypads are just as efficient and I stopped bothering to update it.
  3. Truetotheblue Augur

+1 to the keypads. They help when you need to do something quickly. I personally really enjoy the mini-keyboards. They're essentially the QWERTY half of a keyboard and great for EQ. Since it's not a full size keyboard you can just setup basic keying on these and have multiple of them in a smaller space with no issue. There are plenty of them available on Amazon and you can purchase them for as little as 20$.

I'd also suggest looking into multiplicity. Before anyone rails me for 3PS, Multiplicity has nothing to do with EQ and interacts with it in no way. However, it does allow you to use one keyboard and mouse across network PCs, but does not broadcast keys. You have to drag the mouse over to each machine before you can do anything on it. So it's quite handy for the convenience factor of not having to remember which keypad you're trying to switch to for each respective PC for what I call "maintenance tasks" such as buying spells or managing gear. It makes it a much more enjoyable situation, imo. This is use at your own risk, but here's the link to the cheating info (https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015664167-What-is-considered-cheating-) on their website. Given this doesn't interact with the game, it is not circumventing any anti-cheat methods, and it's definitely not allowing you to do anything in game I'd say you're safe. But I want to at least give you the information to make a choice for yourself.

Setting this up with a bank of monitors, the method I like to do is buy a 4 monitor arm and then flank it with two laptops on each side, this will help with any potential RSI issues. Something I'm particularly prone to if I play for extended periods of time. Keeping it as centered as possible just minimizes the twists and turns. Last piece of advice I'd give is setup your hotkeys in a manner that's comfortable for you. EXP, and really anything, in EQ is extremely repetitive. Try to keep it in mind as controlling your toons will be motions you're going to be repeating a lot. Comfort is key, and you'll build the efficiency through repetition.

Good luck whichever server you land on!
    Appren likes this.
  4. jeydiejones New Member

if an old pc is taking to long to load get a usb key and install windows 10 and everquest on it and use it as the boot disc.
  5. HappyPanda Augur

Someone specifically asked about Mouse Without Borders and Multiplicity a while back on TLP forums here and the dev response was that they do not allow 3rd party programs.

I've not heard anyone get in trouble for it but just thought that should be mentioned in case it is something OP decides to try.
  6. Bryldon New Member

That's odd, because I've seen Devs in here state that they also use Multiplicity on TLPs
  7. Dailor Augur

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Machen New Member

It's something of a gray area, but a keyboard or mouse than can autofire makes boxing a lot easier. Especially for a melee group. Set them to follow the tank, autofire an assist/attack on key, along with your special attacks until you get autoactivate. DPG has never said if this is ok or not, and never will, but when I played on Truebox a ton of people were doing something like this.
  9. Machen New Member

Their stance seems to be changing to take a more hardline approach, but in the early days on Phinny, I knew several people who had encounters with GM's, explained exactly what they were using (multiplicity at the time) and the GM didn't take action. I also have never once heard of anyone getting in any trouble for it, even when GM's were aware it was being used.
  10. HappyPanda Augur

The post I'm referring to was not long after Agnarr Launch.

I don't want to overstate it and pretend they are coming for you if you do it since I've not heard of anyone ever get in trouble for that, specifically, unless they were doing something else as well.
    Just wanted OP to have the best information possible when making the choice.
  11. Xeris Augur

You can 100% use multiplicity to send key strokes to multiple PCs simultaneously. I think there's easily ways to use it that would violate tos. But if you're just using it to mouse over to other PCs, maybe not.
  12. Truetotheblue Augur

I put the info on there so the OP could make a decision for themselves. Not having to keep track of 6 mice, in particular, is just good for sanity. As anecdotal evidence I have never personally seen someone coming on the forums saying they were getting banned for using a KVM. If you've found a way to use it to broadcast keys and autofire or whatever? Understandable if you get suspended then. If you're using it so you can have some convenience of having a unified hardware setup with a single set of inputs I'd say you'd really have to be stretching the bounds of the EULA to make sense of that. It is not made for EQ and does not interact with EQ directly, it's a Windows thing. But given we have to type Macaroni Q or Iso whatever, and multiplicity (the actual name) works, I think if people were getting banned for it then you could easily search to see multiple complaints about it. Again, OP, make your own choice! You play the game how you want and I'm not going to say with 100% confidence that you won't run into an issue with it. But I would put my stamp on saying it's very unlikely as long as you're not using it in unapproved ways.
    HappyPanda likes this.
  13. HappyPanda Augur

I agree with all that except for the part about what we can and can't type. That seems pretty hit or miss and we can type things like MQNext with no problem when half of EQ players using it or another version in the last 3 months have eaten suspensions or permabans for it during the monthly suspension waves we keep getting.
    Truetotheblue likes this.
  14. Omani Journeyman

[IMG]
  15. LachiusTZ Lorekeeper

Depression in a photo.
    Aeonblade likes this.
  16. HowDidIEndUpBackHere Elder

17. markkk Lorekeeper

i love that setup it beats 6 keyboards in front of me,i do have 6 numpads also,but we use the theater room as the pc room so plenty of space.
  18. error Augur

6 boxing always seemed weird to me, there's not a lot of group content in this game that can't be done with a decent 3 box comp with a lot less effort.
  19. Basak Augur

But with three I can only do half as many epic quests!
  20. FranktheBank Augur

The real power increase is at 4. Tank/healer/dps/brd. If you are already at 4, going to 6 by adding 2 monks isnt a huge increase in effort tho.
    Appren likes this.