Vanicki sounds interesting

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ntellect, Apr 13, 2022.

1. ntellect Augur

I'm casual (meaning I don't raid, I like to explore, level, and get decent gear to progress further).

Currently enjoying Mischief, longer than any of the other TLPs. Actually made to max level (at the time) 60 for the first time ever.

I dont fully understand the communicated rule set, but I interpret it as having all zones up to GoD being open day 1 which I assume means I can travel through POP portals? We start at level 1 but can only get up to 40. Some of the items will no longer have a level restriction so I may get loot or be gifted loot that could do more damage than anything I've had on past TLPs. Is the experience rate that of Selo (which was super fast) or slower? Not sure if we know but share if you do.

So from my perspective this means I can start in field of bone, get to Qeynos do some work in Blackburrow, come back for Unrest, go to PC if I get bored - so I am liking that aspect of open freedom of where I can level and how easy it will be to get there.

I like the level lock idea as I will still be left behind but the gap will be shorter than other TLPs making it feel reasonable.

This server doesn't make me feel like FOMO but more so an easier relaxed way to explore (more powerful gear at lower level, "fast" xp) making me not having that sense I have to get to max level.

Other fellow casuals like me. You feel the same?
  2. Truetotheblue Augur

I think time will tell how this server will be for casuals, but just to share my take is I think of the two this is the less casual friendly server. I think this server will be open, fun, and engaging to start. Everyone will be bunched together. It will be easy to achieve things. But, as a few of the unlocks progress this server is going to be hyper focused at the end scene (like most servers) but given that the access to content is so broad, people making alts will be limited. There is no point where new classes drop and there's an influx of new people in the lower end. This will happen with boxing, but those people will be PLing their boxes. As the game opens up and the gap widens the ability for you to experience things I think is going to shrink, and it's going to shrink quickly at the server pace.

Players, in at least a majority of the cases (not everyone), are going to look for the path of least resistance. They're going to focus on getting LDON points to start, so your typical Kunark and Velious dungeons being flooded is going to be lessened, limiting more open exploration as a casual player. Will there be people doing it? Absolutely. But will the opportunities be more limited? Yes. With as broad as the unlocks are there are just certain zones/expacs and even raids you just can skip because they don't serve much purpose. This is detrimental to a more casual play style.

I could be wrong. But I firmly think this server is going to be popular to start, but drop off quickly as reality sets in at how much time you will need to invest in this server to stay with the curve. This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong. I, at minimum, commend them for trying something new.
    Skuz and Zinfa like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Level 40 in 4 weeks I think is doable, level 50 in 2 weeks might be a tough call, but the 4 weeks extra to get level 55 may allow casual players to hit max before level 60 unlocks. IF we are auto granted AAs that will be a big bonus for casual players as they won't need to stop along the way to AA.

With 5 levels unlocking every 4 - 8 weeks casual players may find this is the best expansion for staying with the pack level wise, but it depends on what they set the exp at and how the player base decides it wants to level and gear up.

I think most, if not all casuals can manage a level a week after the initial unlock.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Overmedium New Member

I like casual raiding, 2-3 nights a week ~2-4 hours a raid depending on what raid and gear progression (speeds up as raid gets stronger)... but now with so many raids with viable gear I am afraid I will have to raid like every night... Am I wrong in fearing this scenario?
  5. MBear Augur

This will probably depend on the guild you choose to raid with.
    I'm sure you can find one that fits as 2-3 nights a week will be welcome for casual raiding.
    Zrender and Skuz like this.
  6. Truetotheblue Augur

Most guilds having more options is going to lead to more raids. There's more DZs available to clear, a need for higher engagement with off nights to get gear/flags/augs to stay up to speed. There will likely be guilds that will take it slower and go at a more relaxed pace. But they will not stay up against the top end for long. So if that latter aspect is important to you Yelinak may be a better choice, imo.
  7. MBear Augur

While this is surely true, the stated desire for only limited casual raiding made me think that they might also enjoy playing on a server that will more quickly have better XP rates and more autogranted AA to help maintain raid readiness much more easily.
  8. Truetotheblue Augur

I would agree with that. But the only problem in maintaining that play style is you're dependent on the amount of people that stick around for that slower pace. In my experience, the mass of guilds drops quickly on TLPs narrowing it down to a few guilds at the top end and very few else. I just think how the unlocks work it will be accelerated on this server where those casual options are just more limited.
    MBear likes this.
  9. Imdead Augur

I think Vanicki could be a casuals paradise tbh. With all that content open from launch and GoD experience from the beginning, getting to lvl 40 should be a breeze. From there a good casual guild can focus on leveling and exploring the content at their desire. Quite often the death of casual guilds is spending 4-6 months in POP with no content but with a server like this there will be unlimited content and there's no reason you need to rush straight to try and conquer the top tier unlocked. Why not take your time and work your way through the raids and treat it like a tour of EQ history. Sounds fun to me.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

With the way the unlocks work & how aa autogrant works this server has at least the potential for guilds to take on content they can do & sidestep (even if only temporarily) some of the content they struggle with, farming gear for their members until they are able to beat events in a more freeform & organic way - it just depends if they can find enough like-minded members.

Nothing says you must attempt tackling content that is 10 levels higher than the player level cap - but the option to is there for those who want to try that and who knows, players might surprise themselves.

It's a very experimental ruleset with a large number of changes from the standard TLP format, it may be that too many changes together make it unpalatable but also the way they interact might be surprisingly effective at opening up possiblities guilds & players have not had before.

Won't know for sure until you try it.
    Zrender likes this.
  11. Rebelicious Augur

You can play casual on Live. You can play casual on any server. You can find and join more silly, fun, laid back casual laughing guilds. Just because a server may offer a more challenging, higher level zone unlock doesn't mean everyone playing has to beat themselves bloody with a full time job, bat phone fanatic hardcore elite guild to be the server best.

Play EQ how you like. At the end of the day, it's your sub.
  12. ntellect Augur

I find it interesting how many people believe level cap is a goal. I wouldn't mind if I never reach cap. I just like exploring and progressing. It's just that you can't do that without a group (easily).

I hoping this server will keep people playing in various zones for longer because they can. standard TLP there is no reason to really play older zones because they are exhausted of content. But with what 4 or 5 expacs I'm hoping there is always someone to level with especially with the cap always being within grouping range.
    Zrender likes this.
  13. Rebelicious Augur

It always helps to make your main a highly group/raid desirable class... then make strong soloer alts due to the TLP attrition. I tried makin' a cleric alt late in the day on Agnarr... was very sad panda... no one LFG, and no way to play w/o a group. My main atm was a necro... I had it backward, LOL.
  14. Zinfa New Member

I think Vaniki has a lot of potential for semi-casual guilds that want to chart their own course through the content. I would suggest keeping your eyes peeled for new guilds that will get posted in the guild recruitment forum in the coming weeks.

There is a lot of emphasis being put on the hardcore/achievement playstyle that Vaniki will likely attract, however there is also a unique opportunity for less hardcore players to experience some of the best raiding content in the game on a server starting in later expansions.
    Skuz and internalprime8 like this.
  15. ntellect Augur

I don;t know why but I always enjoy Paladin. I just wish it could do damage by itself. I know about sticking to the dead but even with that advantage at low to mid levels it doesnt matter. But when mercs become available is when I have the real fun running around with my tank (until 70s) then Wizard.