Virtual Machine message in error

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Paneros, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Paneros New Member

Hello support folks,

I just got a Dell 5420 running windows 10 and installed EQ on it. When I go to server select and choose mischief, I get the message "This world has denied your login request. This world does not allow clients running on virtual machines"

Now, I understand the message, but I also don't even know how to set up a Virtual Machine and no chance this is one. FWIW, I am using a work laptop, but it's the same as all my old work laptops that played this fine (just a newer piece of hardware).

Any suggestions?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Hmmm.....

just got and work laptop and Virtual Machine = Maybe the company has changed the rules for all newly issued laptops and you really do have it on there or the capability of it so the company can do stuff.

Are you still logged on to the accounts on any other computers?

From past post it most likely is on the game side so you will need to file a petition and ask for help that way
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

Does your work laptop have Windows Hyper-V enabled? Or VMware workstation/Oracle VirtualBox installed? VM detection (from what people report) is sensitive enough just to detect the installation even if you are running from the base OS.

Docker running will also count as virtualization.
  4. Khat_Nip Meow

I occasionally spin up some Hyper-V and (less frequently, VMware) instances and have been doing so for many years now without incident. (Though their use has nothing at all to do with gaming, much less anything EQ-related and they're isolated from the host.)

When I hear 'work computer' my first thought is VPN but that wasn't what was indicated, so /shrug.
  5. Paneros New Member

No VPN here at all. And I found a Hyper-V setting but the box isn't checked - not sure if that matters. I'm super confused. Also, I haven't logged into EQ for over 3 weeks so I doubt I'd be logged in anywhere else. I'll keep poking at it... Thanks so much for the replies so far.
  6. Sifl New Member

Nothing probably beats opening a ticket and asking them for support, and I don't know the mechanism EQ is using to detect VM's, but as there's lots of ways to hide the fact you are running in a VM, there's also the possibility that their detection is giving you a false positive.

In the past, this is how I have verified if I am on a VM:

First, run one of these two commands:
    Code:
    msinfo32
    or
    Code:
    systeminfo
    and then check your system model, manufacturer, and BIOS version. What do they say? If it says Microsoft, VMWare, Google, or anything generic, then it might be detected as a VM.

Check the temperatures of your CPU cores; most VM environments don't expose the CPU temperature data, so if your laptop is somehow not exposing that data to your OS, or your corp has locked it down somehow, that could possible be a VM trigger. If you have admin rights, which I assume you do, open PowerShell as admin and run this command below. If you get an error, then it may look like you are on a VM.
    Code:
    Get-WMIObject MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature -Namespace root/wmi
    You can also use a 3rd party utility like CoreTemp portable https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/CoreTemp64.zip which will not show any data if the temperature data is somehow not exposed to Windows, and that would suggest to me that I was possibly on a VM.

Check if Vmware, VirtualBox, etc. tools are installed and running in task manager. Everquest can detect the running programs, so maybe your corp used an image or install script when they installed windows that installed the tools, even though you are not on a VM.

Do an ipconfig and check all of your MAC addresses on https://aruljohn.com/mac.pl and see if any come back as virtual vendors. I hope they aren't using this technique.

Run this command and, if it comes back with less than 9 ports, it may look like you are on a VM.(this is a stretch)
    Code:
    Get-WmiObject Win32_PortConnector
    Paneros likes this.
  7. Paneros New Member

Silf, I really really appreciate the detailed post here. I'll walk through it and then open a support ticket if it fails. I suppose worst case I could also buy a new machine, but that seems silly at the moment.

For what it's worth, it seems like I can see the temperature, and the Bios says Dell. I'll look into it more though tomorrow, too. Thank you again.
  8. Bardy McFly Augur

You can have VMWare installed if that's what's tripping you up. I do for work and have had it installed for years with no issues. You just have to make sure it's not running and also disable all the VMWare services under Windows Services. Note that you'll need to start them again if you want to use VMWare.