64bit - thanks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by TwoFat, Feb 17, 2022.

1. TwoFat Apprentice

Call me simp, whatever.

I just wanted to post that as the owner of a small dev company that frequently works with code originating in the 90's, the task of moving to 64-bit can't have been as trivial as it should be.

Well done for performing what seems to have been a smooth rollout - I know I'd have been sweating during that one! In IT, sometimes the best you can hope for is the phone not ringing - saying thanks for a good job doesn't happen as often as it should. I hope the changes that this upgrade allows are as smooth!
    Hegsheoshed, Metanis, Jyve and 19 others like this.
  2. josh Augur

Would like to echo this sentiment, really well done.
    minimind, Skuz, Schadenfreude and 3 others like this.
  3. Nolrog Augur

Things went very smoothly. I was worried that we'd see some additional down times but that doesn't seem to be the case.

10/10 would upgrade to 64 bit again.
    Jyve, minimind, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  4. Nedrom Augur

This sounds awesome!
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Yes, Thank you TEAM!
  6. Accendo Guest

Thank you, everyone, for the kind support and comments.
  7. dwish Augur

I just wanted to take the time to echo this sentiment. The zone times and lag so far definitely seem a bit better on FV since the update. Also, with the bot crackdown I seem to be noticing quite a few less bot teams running around in normal zones. Sometimes these boards can be a bit negative at times (myself included), but I have to give credit where it's due.
    Sancus likes this.
  8. xcitng Augur

thank you, loving it!!
  9. LesserArchi Elder

Great improvements, I am now able to put less delay on the macros to cast spells.

Thank you.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

Feels much better so far as to lag for most things.
    (chat/raid tool still laggy)

Very much looking forward to what the team can do to improve things now that they can spend some memory for speed.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Thank you, Devs!

It's interesting that, after the move to 64-bit, all player textures look noticeably sharper. I run 4k resolution and I just chalked the lack of texture detail to poor upscaler performance. I don't have a before and after, but the Hero's Forge Ssraeshzian Plate looks pretty nice!

EDIT: Click the photo for the full res. The image even after cropping was still too large for EQ forums to display without downscaling.

[IMG]Texture
    Nennius and Shanarias like this.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Wow, I can’t even be a hater on seeing actual armor textures. Well done!
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Triconix Augur

I haven't noticed any difference in sharpness to the images. I wonder if 64bit resolved the long standing bug I saw with mipmapping in EQ. With that feature on, it would randomly just make everything way less crisp and blurry for no reason. In order to resolve it, the feature needed to be turned off.

With mipmapping on (before patch):
    [IMG]

With mipmapping off (same day as prior picture, before patch):
    [IMG]

You can see a noticeable difference in sharpness between the two simply by turning a setting off in EQ. I have more with ornaments, weapons, shields, etc showing a huge drop off in image quality with that feature turned on.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Maybe the old client tried too hard to conserve memory in order to avoid "out of memory"-crashes? and what we see now, is how it was always supposed to look...
    It always looked like their "texture-streaming" never gave us the full resolution-textures before now...

Or did they bump up the graphic detail without telling us?
    Raptorjesus5 and Jyve like this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

@Pikachu has a sound theory. I will try this today.
  16. baby-iksar Journeyman

i bit the server 64 times, i bit the client 64 times. I can say, I did my part!
  17. Jyve Augur

THE biggest benefit I'm noticing right now is when I'm hoping from server to server to rotate through the toons for various activities, it seems the servers are running a bit faster in the backend and I'm able to get from one server to another far quicker.

I'm sure the client's get a huge memory benefit for 64bit, but the servers must really be stretching their legs with the upgrade.

/applaud.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Okay, so going through some settings today - and I turned my memory usage up to maximum to see if the game would break the 3.5GB limit. In doing so, the character armor appearance quality reverted back to the blurry mess I had before the move to 64-bit.

So I changed the setting back to Minimum Memory Usage and the quality and sharpness of armor textures came back.

Bug?