Agnarr curious?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Herf, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Herf Augur

I see enquiries over on the EQ official discord and of course we get the questions in General in game so I'll just leave this here.

Agnarr is not only doing fine, it's doing well. Low drama server. Good people. There's been a steady uptick in population over the past month and right now we routinely see 150-200 in General most of the time.

Question: Do people box?
    Answer: Yes. Agnarr is a truebox server, so if you want to legally box 2 toons, you need two separate computers. Lots of people dual or triple box, however most will drop a box to let a live player in. There are free buffs from people at the PoK soulbinder, monthly (?) open plat raids run by Xeris, and people generally help out newbies or returning folks. Niceness is encouraged to grow the community and it's worked out well.

There are at least 3-4 raiding guilds. Joining a guild is highly recommended. The ones I'm aware of:

The Remedy - euro time zone (or midday US)

Adventure Time - US , newest raiding guild [I think]

Charge the Lair - US

Scions of Time - US, ", only thing I'm not positive of is if they as active in 2022 so far as in 2021.

There are other guilds of course but those are the ones I'm aware of.

So, no, Agnarr is not dead. We are the Undead. Join ussssss.
  2. Corydon Augur

What Herf posted is the truth. He doesn't need me to affirm it, I am just throwing out my two cents here as well.

Agnarr went through some troubling times. I play at EU times so I'm 6 to 9 hours ahead of the US folks. This means I almost never play at the server's prime time. That results in me mostly having to deal with a lower amount of online players. At those troubling times I mentioned there were 30-40 players in general chat when I was playing at my daytime and about 90 when I was playing late day. That was sad to see but I kept playing anyway because Agnarr is the only era-locked server and I like that concept.

But since then the numbers kept increasing slowly but surely. I now see 80 to 200 players online depending on my time of day in EU.

That's still not "massive" but it has it's advantages too. People kinda know each other, they become familiar with each other. People are nice. Some fresh folks sometimes do stupid things in general chat but they either calm down, just vanish or do a name change to salvage their char somewhat. What remains is a community of good people that happily lock themself in to what others call a prison server. This is a great community and this is totally not a prison.
    The opposite is true:

Agnarr gives you the FREEDOM to chase the best gear for all your toons and explore the game in your own pace and learn to master all your characters/classes eventually if you so wish.

Guilds on Agnarr raid the Plane of Time to obtain that top loot, Vex Thal and Emperror Ssraeshza for nice clickies, Elemental Planes for more loot and doing something different from "just Plane of Time" while also doing all the flagging stuff for people so they can have the full PoP experience.

LDoN is a huge thing as well on Agnarr. The group and raid content has meaningful loot (mainly augmentations) to optimize your gear.

More freedom on Agnarr lies within the fact that you will not have to chase the carrot forever. On regular TLPs or even live servers you play the content in era, obtain as much new loot as possible to make you stronger so you can then move on when the next expansion unlock happens.

That's a good thing for one kind of players but exhausting for another kind of players.
    And to the latter I say:
    Come to Agnarr and see yourself. You can always leave if it doesn't fit your style but don't trust those people that keep saying "prison server" or "dead server" because they either have no idea or are intenionally lying.
  3. Donroy Elder

+1. I love Agnarr. It's my perfect EQ experience. I am in Scions so to respond to Herf, we are just as active now as we've ever been. Official raids twice a week have been filling out with max personnel and we usually toss in a few off-night funsies a month. It's a great feeling to 'max' a character. All items, gear, clickies, you could ever want. I actually maxed trade skills on a guy for the first time in 22 years of playing this game. And yes, a super friendly and personable population. Toxic people generally don't thrive here.
  4. HekkHekkHekk Augur

According to the resident forumquesters, 150-200 people enjoying a server is simply not enough and a huge failure. Agnarr should promptly be deleted.
  5. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

Agnarr is nearly 5 years old at this point and would still have more players than a newly launched PvP TLP
    Skuz, Xhartor and jeskola like this.
  6. HekkHekkHekk Augur

time to shut her down
  7. Treage_Imminent Elder

Skuz, LadyKagan and Nighthawk like this.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

Agnarr made it's money for DBG, same as Phinny, Ragefire, Coirnav, etc. A PvP TLP would not have enough people to make money, it would run at a loss for its entire lifetime. Thats the difference.
    Skuz, jeskola and Nighthawk like this.
  9. Jimmy2times Elder

If at least one of the new servers isn’t golden era locked (preferably OoW/DoN) I think I will come back to agnarr and play. Can you save me a rusty short sword and a some bronze please ?
    EastSideWestSide and Herf like this.
  10. Herf Augur

I'll hook you up with some banded, a decent weapon, and 50pp for spells and food.
  11. tikles Journeyman

Is agnarr still a premium sub req to play on? If it was f2p I may test the waters, but to drop Kr on a locked server seems limiting. Yes it is "special" rule set vs the live servers, but it is not like its the new hotness TLP, or even an open threat for RMT's to flood the population with bots/accounts etc.

If Agnarr went F2p, or some kind of 30 day free access before requiring Kr sub (for people to test it out/get hooked), do you think you would get a burst of fresh blood?
  12. Chyron Lorekeeper

In 2020 Agnarr went free to play for 1-2 months. I think it really helped inject some life, and people realized it was a server worth paying for. That got me to try it, and later officially rejoin in 2021.

I don't agree it should be free to play, as the business model doesn't make sense for it. It would need to likely increase population 3-4 times, as well as have more options in the store that are relevant for Agnarr for daybreak to justify a free server that is locked I would think. Other free servers can rely on expansion purchases and 120 levels of purchases.

From my take as an extremely casual player who returned to Agnarr with an even more casual friend, we leveled from 1-55 fairly quickly and grouped here and there a long the way. I box 2-3, my friend doesn't box, so often our group is 4 and sometimes 5-6 when we see others to play with. The server is active, it has enough twinking gear in the bazaar if that is your thing, you can buy the buff mounts as well. There are four guilds actively raiding and people are constantly MGB'ing buffs, or offering buffs for free to help with levels.

If you love the ldon/pop-locked era, there is no sense of rush or fomo or keeping up with the crowd on this server. You can play at your pace, whether that is a casual player or an active raider. Can't raid? You can still do alternate access quests, certain planes open up at levels, ldon gear with augs is pretty great if you dont have raid gear, ornate buffs are clickable at 55, etc. It's a fun place to play and not overcrowded, so you can do what you want, when you want.

If not able to atleast two box, I would recommend a class that solos, however. Once you're 46+ there are groups to join.
    EastSideWestSide and Herf like this.
  13. Captain Video Augur

Agnarr will never go F2P. If you want to play Classic content for free, you can do that on a Live server. That's your trial.
    Barraind likes this.
  14. Zansobar Augur

Aren't at least half the "players" boxes?
  15. FranktheBank Augur

I dont play on Agnarr anymore, so I dont know the validity of this, but does it matter?
    Herf likes this.
  16. tikles Journeyman

starting at 0 on live means you are playing a solo game until.. 100? Starting on Agnarr, perhaps you get some alts to group with, box groups to join, or all those "perks" the OG poster was talking about trying to draw people to this server.
    Herf likes this.
  17. Jimmy2times Elder

My man Herf! I knew you'd come through with a deal :D
  18. Jimmy2times Elder

Yes 100% absolutely, I do believe a few years back they did open the server briefly up as a FTP and it got an influx of players and then it went back to pay to play which is fine I don't mind supporting the game.
    Herf likes this.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

All the TLP went FTP for a month, I forget why, anniversary 2019 maybe?
  20. Herf Augur

I'm not sure if "half" is accurate or not. But it doesn't really matter. Those of us on Agnarr pretty much all realize it is in OUR best interests to encourage new/returning players, if we want the server to stay viable. Basically we're so friendly out of greedy self interest :)

So if I'm out boxing and I see someone in my lvl range LFG in chat, I'll often send them a tell and bring them into the group. Most anyone will. Both because anyone who's been there for years is wealthy enough not to sweat splitting plat or even loot, and of course because it makes the server healthier and more fun. Plus it's a social server. If I wanted to MOLO I could go on live. Which I won't do. So when you see groups of people in a given zone you want to xp in, send them a tell and ask if they have an opening for you; don't just count them up and if you see 6 toons assume it's full - it's fairly common to be happy to drop a box to let a live person in the group.

After a while you start to get a feel for which boxes are associated with each other. Clue: it's often 2-3 of the toons in the group you just got invited to :) Sometimes we will hang our buff boxes out in PoK while we do stuff on other toons, in case people wandering through PoK need buffs.

I think "boxing", which on Agnarr is truebox (one toon per physical computer, no virtual stuff), got a bad name because of two things:

-- One was the mage armies that stole camps back on Phinny, etc.

-- Two is that boxers are necessarily splitting their attention across multiple computers.

In the former case, that doesn't hardly happen on Agnarr and hasn't for years.

In the latter case, yes, a boxed cleric isn't quite as on top of things as a main cleric. However many of us have been doing this for two years or more, and honestly, a good boxed cleric is better than a badly run main cleric.