Ranger 2-handers?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by ceto, Jan 19, 2022.

1. ceto Elder

Hi

I was wondering if 2-handed weapons were viable for solo Rangers, or should I stick with dual wielding?

Thanks
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its all your playstyle and what your doing raiding, grouping, solo, tanking, range shooting. Personally I prefer 2 hand. For some reason dual wielding just doesn't give me the same oomph.

But I am sure others will chime in and say opposite:D
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

I am no expert on the subject, hopefully one chimes in.

I believe that mob riposte hits for the amount the mob does, calculated in the same way as a mob swinging at you. Your dual wield is probably low damage with low delay. Your 2H'er is probably a higher damage with a higher delay. In theory, 2 weapons with the same delay means the same ratio which means the same DPS. However, a weapon with a lower delay means less chance for riposte and thusly less incoming damage to you, the tank. I believe procs are calculated each swing so you would probably take a net DPS loss since you would proc less. Given you are a ranger with lower AC than a plate tank, you might benefit more overall from slightly fewer procs with slightly fewer ripostes. And since you are molo, you wont have the various aDPS buffs on your tied to those procs.

I would suggest you get a parser, I use GamParse, and then you can see exactly how much DPS various configurations do. You will also be able to see how much damage you are taking and etc.
  4. Derka Power Ranger

2handers riposte harder and have higher proc/sympathetic proc damage. It's still nice to switch to 1handers sometimes for Empowered Blades or when you need to go god mod with lifetap augs + Imbued ferocity.

Your level and AA count will play a factor into optimal weapon choices as well. Higher ranks of Burst of Power really make 2 handers shine