Graphics / Monitor Help

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by PraimFaya, Dec 29, 2021.

1. PraimFaya Journeyman

Howdy-

I have an issue with some settings maybe that I could use some help with.

I'm 53, have bad eyes and glasses.

I have a 3060 graphics card and several monitors to choose from.

ASUS 34 in 4k ultra-wide
    ASUS 32in 1080p
    LG 34 in 2k ultra-wide

It seems that no matter which monitor I use I can't quite seem to get the UI to be crisp. Spell names, Hot Bar titles seem grainy and hard to read no matter what settings or how close or far away I am.

The games texture details look great and runs very smooth. Could anyone point me to:

Settings that help
    A good UI that you recommend

Chat seems ok. It's just the labels on everything and the text inside windows like Stats and the texts in the different tabs.

I even size the hot bars up to 175.

I really appreciate any insight you might have. I load up all the hot bars and have to yoyo in and out and guess to select the right ones. I usually miss.

Thanks Much
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

have you tried /viewport

or maybe search thru here 4k site:https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/playing-on-an-ultrawide-monitor.273690/

another suggestion is to use windowed mode for EQ & reduce your desktop resolution to 1920×1080 or as close to that as you can get as your EQ window will use the desktop resolution.

This is about the floating effect but has some good info on viewing https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ultrawide-resolution-problem.269625/

Maybe when the new 64 bit comes out in a few months it might alter your options.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

Your problem is likely pixel density and scaling.

I use a Acer Predator X34 monitor which is 34" ultrawide 2k and I think it looks fine, but I accept the limitations of EverQuest.

EverQuest does not scale well. It is not designed for any display over 1080p (poor scaling) and 1080p is not idea for a 32" monitor (low pixel density). The UI components will not scale up to be larger.

For instance, my macbook is 15" 16:10 1800p. That is very high detail for a small screen. It works because Mac scales everything to properly utilize whatever resolution. It automatically makes things bigger when on high resolution so it's legible and clear. We have become accustom to high pixel density (small screen, high resolution) but also good UI scaling (big objects using more pixels).

Boot camped to windows however, there is no Mac scaling. Windows just wants to run at 1800p. Forcing a resolution change reduces image quality or screen space. EverQuest works the same way. If I run at the native resolution, I can't read the lettering. If I up the resolution, the crispness decreases.

So when you run high resolution displays like the 4k, the screen is crisp but the UI is too small to read. Go to a lower resolution and it just forces small items into more pixels, which reduces clarity. EverQuest just doesn't scale well.

Using /chatfont size # can help with the chats. Those are designed to be larger, but they don't scale so they will pixelate. Note the chatfront size # is non-linear, so 8 isn't necessarily bigger than 6, so try all the numbers 1-...10?. However, this will not help with UI elements like the hotbars and etc.

EverQuest wont scale like modern games. It is old, but unlike modern games, EverQuest allows the UI to be fully modified. There is a website dedicated to modifying the UI. Modifying the UI is authorized by DayBreakGames (unless you are doing something specific to cheat, not sure how you could do that, but if it sounds like cheating, it is.) Using a custom UI would let let use you monitor's native resolution but increase the size of the text on hotbars and etc. So you could find a custom UI designed for a 4k monitor that using much larger lettering so the letter are legible at a higher resolution, which prevents quality loss.

One thing to note about a custom UI is that updates in the game can break the custom UI (think about when they added mercs, if you custom UI doesn't have a merc window, the custom UI would break), so try to pick a popular custom UI that gets updates with the game updates or make sure you know how to correct the issues on your own. Worst case you go back to the default UI until it's fixed. That is why there is a restore to default UI on the character screen.

Edit: Disclaimer: Much of the above is my opinion only. EverQuest may not be designed for 1080p. However, it is not (to my knowledge) using a vector art that allows things like spell gems to scale and there is not scaling option. That indicates to me that these componets were designed with a specific screen size, resolution and aspect ration in mind, and that certainly isn't 34" 4k ultrawide. Of note, a 34" ultrawide 21:9 when only using 16:9 of the screen space, is actually 28" for EverQuest.

Also note, EQ doesn't support ultrawide, it just stretches and distorts the game. It wont add extra view like Forza does.
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  5. Laronk Augur

The one thing you can do with ultra wide is to use viewport then have your ui elements on the black part of the screen.
    Vumad likes this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

What is Viewport?
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Vumad and CatsPaws like this.
  8. Laronk Augur

It changes how much of the screen is used for drawing the actual game minus the UI tatanka's link above is much better than I could describe.
  9. Visitor Augur

I have a 32" Monitor (well 2 of them), and I set screen resolution to 2560by 1440, and have EQ in windowed mode, so it is easy to use web browser. The chat windows, I do a /chatfontsize 5 to make chat better for viewing. Years ago, got a 24" that was innate 2560x 1440, it has since died and gone on to recycle, but viewing in 4k is way too small for me.