It's not a bug, it's a feature

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razgadz, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Razgadz Lorekeeper

This is specifically about the Quest 'What Dreams May Yet Come?' and 'Threading the Loop' in Maiden's Eye.

Here is why i think these Quests need to be adjusted to avoid Zone crashes or frustrated players :

At some time in the Quest you are approaching a certain spot ( NPC or a landmark ) and get jumped by Mob(s).
    So far nothing bad - thing is ... if you are doing this as a group every one that got the quest will have his own mob(s) that jump you - which may lead to a death, an evac or something like that.
    And now it can really get nasty: Your group recovers - maybe learned from what happened and you try to approach only with one that has got the quest.
    Sadly those that you spawned earlier are still there and wont go away until killed and you still get jumped by another mob - until you killed it and got the update.

Of course its all doable if you are the only group that does that quest.
    Too bad its often not the case so you have more people maybe fail because they dont get jumped by their own mobs - instead they get the ones that are there already.

Nothing despawns instead more and more might spawn every time a group tries that quest.
    At least you don't spawn more mobs once you got your task to update.
    But i saw many groups spawn 1 mob each and then just evac und pull 1 mob out of the many standing there - updating their group and then they left 5 mobs up as they didnt need it for their update. Selfish ? Probably . But that imho is just a design flaw.

Today we killed 10 - 15 Manifested Nightmare before we killed the 6 mobs we spawned for ourselves just so others don't have a hard time doing this quest.

Would it be possible to have the mobs you spawn despawn after a few minutes ? ( Maybe they do - they didnt for a long time )
    Is it possible that the zone crashes once you reach a certain ammount of mobs spawned ?

Would love to see this quest 'fixed'

Oh and don't get me wrong ... i know my way around these quests and can do them without deaths - i still feel that the design of these quests are flawed and needs fixing.

Regards,

Razgadz
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Possible fix:

Make mob that spawns have the name under it of the character it spawned for and it aggros on that character exclusively, although others can taunt it off.

In other words, anyone else can just walk by that mob and it does nothing. Character with name under mob who walks by gets aggro and so does anyone else who taunts it or damages it or heals/buffs anyone who has aggro. Mob will not assist any other mob.

I know some of this is possible, as mobs do spawn in various quests/raids with the name of a character under the mob's name and the mob seeks out that character.

Of course, having the mob despawn (and able to be respawned) after a short period of time is also part of the fix.
    Razgadz likes this.
  3. Karhar Dream Crusher

I redid that quest day after launch, i had to tank and kill 7 other nightmares that i didn't spawn... it was annoying
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

Or, just make that task a group task instead.
    Skrab likes this.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Make all of them group tasks…

Also, tasks like this suck because every group member can trigger the spawn.
    Laurana, Marton and Velisaris_MS like this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yep, there is zero reason to make any partisan task a solo task. Leave those for the merc tasks.
    Skrab likes this.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

If only, they played their own game or implemented feedback.
  8. Alnitak Augur

Enter the ranger and the mage !
    Ranger snares a nightmare and runs to a desired location, and Mage uses CoTH, which clears ranger's aggro. Ta-daa ! A single mobs standing with shoe-laces tied and waiting for your group to do the murder.
    (other mobs return to the spawn point).
    Or use you own preferred technique of splitting a horde of mobs.
    And I agree - it's a bug, needs a fix.
  9. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

Title: "It's not a bug, it's a feature"
    Me: "Is this a Bethesda game?"