Anyone knows about when will the ToV expansion free to play??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mell, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Mell Journeyman

Title says all.
    6 days later after Terror of Luclin launched or 6 months later?
  2. Spacemonkey555 Augur

It’s more like 6 months, iirc tbl went free in June this year. That’s if they haven’t decided to change their ways, they apparently decided no more aa autogrant so maybe no more free expansions as well.
    Shindius likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Or...pony up $35 to support the game you apparently enjoy playing? :)
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  4. Trevor Elder

you mean the game that almost everyone boxes in, making it cost more than $35?
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

You don't really need to box if you're in current content and your server isn't a ghost town, especially if you join a guild. To my knowledge there's no golden rule, a while back they stopped doing it for a couple years and just recently got F2P back to closer to current expansions.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Devs aren't even 100% sure when the past expansion content gets released to everyone. It could come down to discussions with business folks on whether or not its practical to yet, who knows how that analysis works.

If all else fails you could probably trade a single krono for a few ToV or CoV claimable expansion tickets. I wouldn't be surprised if many people that bought F&F of CoV on discount are looking to unload their tradable CoV tickets. From my own experience, of the tradables those seem the hardest to get rid of because everyone's just waiting for the next expansion.
  6. Cuuthbert Augur

Gotta love how the cheap people in life who love play on the backs of others always have excuse not pay for something. Also I am pretty sure they are boxing their FTP
    Bussfire and Nennius like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

work smarter, not harder. Or pay less not more.

F2P works very well for boxing. Or even just as a friend when you have none. ;)

I can take any of my F2P characters and go molo (me and the merc in case you don't know) in older zones and get enough drops to make 24-30k a half hour.

And on those F2P accounts, if need be I support the game not by subscription but by buying the cheapo version of the expansions

Not everything in life or EQ is free.
    Shindius and KermittheFroglok like this.
  8. Trevor Elder

by f2p you mean you never had auto grant AA on them? cause a f2p isn't making 60k an hour off vendor drops moloing with 0 AAs and no bazaar access

and there's a large gap between free and multiple 35 dollar purchases
  9. Yteran Lorekeeper

I mean, if we're all being honest, it would be ridiculous for them to stop adding expansions to the free list. A new expansion - sometimes two - has been added every year since the game started. They can't in good faith charge for every single one, years after they were released.

Auto-grant AAs have to continue as well, not because of free to play players, but because people return to the game and can't be expected to farm 15,000 (or whatever) AAs to catch up to their guild-mates, or be able to even do current expansion content.

EverQuest still attracts completely new players as well - they definitely can't be expected to farm all of those AAs.

I'm sure autogrant and ToV will be added. Hold your horses.
    Shindius likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

my point being if your not going to chill out and wait for it to happen, then pay up.

As far as auto grant AA/baz access - the baz stuff goes on the paid account (duh) and the auto grant happens when I earn enough to go paid/krono for that month if at all. Because yes, if you drop back a couple levels it is easy to farm plat o F2P with base AA and your merc. Most players can't grasp that concept because they think they cannot play without gaining exp or thousands of AA.

Once again play smarter not harder
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

So what is it one that doesn't pay, misses?

CatsPaws said something about baz access.. what exactly does a none paying player not get, I know they don't allow J5 mercs. Use of Prestige gear. I didn't think it was more then that... (besides AA cap you can earn unless you unlock bying from DB store)
  12. Laronk Augur

So his free to play character has to have never subbed ever? He’s not even allowed to pay 15$ once in his life after getting his ftp to 110 so he can have all those auto grant aa? Is that pay to win for you? Do your guys not have auto grant?

Get The F Outta here

You’re surely not one of the people that thinks auto grant is pay 2 win

I’d take up the challenge but the idea of power leveling a character to 110 with 0 auto grant aa would be a lot of work for literally no gain. Also FTP has access to barter, so depending on what people currently want it can help. Would it be a lot of work and be hard? Maybe. Oh you can also sell stuff to others without the bazaar its just more work.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Laronk Augur

I just wanted to add,

EverQuest has one of the nicest, most lenient ftp models
  14. Trevor Elder

I don't know what you have in mind, but I've played almost every online game out there and this doesn't come close to being the most f2p friendly
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

To jump in,

WoW F2P ends at level 20. FF14 F2P ends at level 60.

You are free to play those games.
    Fenthen and CatsPaws like this.
  16. Free2Play1999 Lorekeeper

If it helps to answer the original question: The last expansion to be released as F2P was The Burning Lands. It became F2P on in June 2021. Ring of Scale became F2P in Dec. 2019 and The Broken Mirror and Empires of Kunark became F2P in Feb. 2019. So, in other words, they make up their own rules as they go.
    I believe the auto-grant of AAs being upgraded to it's current maximum of The Burning Lands was done at the same time but I'm not sure.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  17. Laronk Augur

I meant specifically in the mmo space, they regularly release expansions to the FTP crowd. You can play on Test without a sub and get the "gold" benefits but, you're still behind on expansions I guess nowadays.

If you have a MMO in mind that has lots of free to play content give me a suggestion I might go play it.
  18. Trevor Elder

dungeon fighter online has a lot because of its huge chinese playerbase funding impressive bi-weekly events (they create entire games inside of their game for just a temporary event) and free expansions twice a year, but it's not as "massively" as most mmos since raids/group limits are smaller than average

lost ark is gonna be the next big free mmo and it's coming out february 11th
  19. Zarkdon Augur

EoK is the current end of autogranted AAs and were released with the launch of CoV. Ring of Scale forward require grinding.
  20. Laronk Augur

Ahh i looked at that game, totally not for me but I can see the appeal