That was it for Cyber Monday?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, Nov 29, 2021.

1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

More fool me again.

I interpreted the announcement to mean there would be an additional sale for Cyber Monday also.

And that the bags would be for Black Friday.

At least Walmart, Amazon and almost any profitable business do it this way. One sale on Black Friday that extends over the weekend and more sales on Cyber Monday

Its past noon PST which is usually the time they scramble to post stuff and nothing posted so........

I call this the lamest sale we have had. Only bags. :(

People on TLP want bags but most of those servers could not buy them.

No Turkey stuff

Well at least I am ready for Christmas......practicing my Bah, Humbug a lot now.

Guess I will spend my gift cards somewhere else.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've been pretty unimpressed by every other Black Friday & Cyber Monday Offer I have seen so at least EverQuest's fits in with the general disappointment theme really well.

2020 was terrible
    2021 was disappointing
    2022 tbd
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I'm sure we've now reached the point where Lifetime Subscriptions are costing Darkpaw. Krono sales also seem to be slowing a tad (based on anecdotal in-game price increases).

I don't expect to see deep sales in the near future. They have to balance between saturation (spoiling) and not undermining their pricing structure.

We may see some sort of discount between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day, however.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

There were only 4000 Lifetime subs sold across all games. You just made up a bunch of nonsense. It’s $480k revenue, when they’re EQ1 alone makes $11 million through 3 quarters of a year. It doesn’t even bring up the COVID years of 2020 and 2021.
    Shindius likes this.
  5. Herf Augur

Speak it brother!

The bags thing is annoying, but what I really don't get is why they don't give us more Turkey stuff in the DB store? We didn't even get the old TG title of "the Sated" they had one TG. I would pay money for a sentient (talking) turkey familiar, or a turkey mount. Or a turkey hat. Maybe even a turkey shield ornament.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Many players would have "gobbled" those up!!!
    Qelil, Herf and Elyssanda like this.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

4,000 lifetime subs at $300 each, Offered Dec. 2018. That's $1.2M in fast revenue.

One year of All Access costs $120.

If those same 4,000 subs just paid the annual sub and assuming all of those Lifetime Subs began Jan 2019 (they didn't), Daybreak would have $80K more by calendar year 2021 end, but they also wouldn't have had the big infusion they likely needed at the time. From 2022 on, lifetime subs will account for an additional $480K in unseen revenue every year.

$480K is nothing to sneeze at regardless of total revenue. That's two (maybe three) developers, including benefits.
    Cicelee, Vumad and Benito like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I agree with your calculation.

Considering that airlines break even on some flights and car dealerships break even on some basic model cars, any form of lost profit on core revenue streams is a hit on most businesses.

$480k has to be made up somewhere else each year. They likely see that demand is relatively inelastic for marketplace or expansion goods.
  9. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Again, across all games not specific to EQ. Two or three developers across all the studios isn’t much difference. Also, doesn’t account for people spending their “savings” on more accounts, expansion upgrades, Kronos, etc.

There’s a lot to be said for doing a lifetime subscription as one large pain point that a customer forgets about in a few months. There’s a lot of benefit to getting people to pay up front that lets them feel good about their spending which loosens the grip on the wallet.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

According to this article "the company’s incomes have stabilized at over 400% revenues compared to this quarter last year"
    https://massivelyop.com/2021/11/26/...-promising-console-and-gfx-upgrade-for-lotro/

edit: which was a quote from Ji Ham
    Shindius likes this.
  11. jeskola pheerie

Send me a tell and I will provide you with more cyber
    Zaray, Qelil, Shindius and 2 others like this.
  12. Duder Augur

What?
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It sounds like the pandemic bump for DCUO, LOTRO, and - to a lesser degree - EQ1. I'm not necessarily sure we can glean much for EQ1 based on that article.

Additionally, Daybreak has done a decent job of maintaining/updating their games. People are inclined to throw support behind winners (over vaporware).

Edit: I believe lifetime subs were offered to EQ1, EQ2, and Planetside 2 only. DCUO was not privy to the promotion. LOTRO runs on their own sub system.
    Shindius likes this.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Your all's math is off.

The total lifetime was two offerings, one of 4000 and the next one of 6000 to make a total of 10000 offered.

*The count of 4,000 was reached on Christmas Eve, at which point the sale was done.

Then based on how fast those sold they released additional ones

But wait! In what can only be dubbed a true Holiday Miracle, 6,000 more keys have been discovered, somewhere deep within in the Daybreak warehouse, and are now being offered for sale
    Shindius likes this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Our profits you shall not infringe!
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If they sold 10,000 lifetime subs between EQ1, EQ2, and Planetside 2. (And, literally, probably only a few dozen Planetside 2 players care for subs). And, considering the hardcore base (most likely to maintain a sub to begin with) self-selected to buy in, this is a piggy bank killer.
  17. Heploc New Member

Regardless of Lifetime subs and other nonsense thatonly daybreak has access to..
    What a sad sale..
  18. minimind The Village Idiot

I was completely unaware of the other 6,000. Wow. So the corrected math is...

10,000 lifetime subs at $300 each, Offered Dec. 2018. That's $3M in fast revenue.

One year of All Access costs $120.

If those same 10,000 subs just paid the annual sub and assuming all of those Lifetime Subs began Jan 2019 (they didn't), Daybreak would have $200K more by calendar year 2021 end, but they also wouldn't have had the big infusion they likely needed at the time. From 2022 on, lifetime subs will account for an additional $1.2M in unseen revenue every year.
  19. Allworth Elder

Darkpaw's Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals were underwhelming to say the least. For a company that never misses an opportunity to monetize every aspect of gameplay, they really missed the mark. Other MMO studios were offering deep discounts up to 50% off on expacs and other items.

Instead of an epic sale, we got an epic fail.
    Shindius and Herf like this.
  20. scaethach Scholar

LOTRO does have a not insignificant amount of lifetime accounts out there though if we're talking overall daybreak revenue.