End of expansion battle royal

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Nov 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qelil Augur

As for the pvp suggestion, it has been made. It's all good. I think it wouldn't work but it certainly wouldn't bother me if the suggestion was taken and it did. Realistically though, this idea has approximately an ice cube's chance in hell of ever happening and I am pretty sure most would agree that's just fine too. I guess that goes hand in hand with it not being likely to happen doesn't it?
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, DBG did state that the client upgrade would give us a "path to have more and higher resolution art in the game". that doesn't sound like a "cost saving operation" to me. It does sound like the upgrade to 64bit will result in a jump in graphical detail in future content. Probably not ToL though, as that expansion seem to work fine on the 32bit client...:)

I have high expectations for the future expansions. A optimistic interpretation could also mean that, an improvement to the 3d-render that can better take advantage of the increased memory is a part of the "path". Or maybe that the 3d-render is already capable of more than we know, when it isn't memory-limited...
  3. Elemental Augur

None of you would survive on Zek, we run the server.
    Welcome to come and try, we will push you back to exping in Frontier Mountains, if we so chose to allow you to exp at all.
    Qelil likes this.
  4. Fell Augur

On the contrary, it's a confirmation that server-side gains are the motivation here. "Puts us on a path for future client upgrades" is corp-speak for "you're getting nothing out of this now." Will a 64-bit memory space allow more graphical content? Sure .... but you first have to generate that content. And given the current client doesn't use anywhere near the 4GB memory limit of 32-bit, there's nothing stopping them from adding higher-res art already.

Will the 64-conversion eventually yield client-side improvements? Sure. But it's not why it's happening now.
  5. Qelil Augur

Oh, really? Why don't you ask Ngreth about his comment regarding "hitting the memory limit hard?" and see what he tells you about memory constraints in EverQuest right now and for some time. That post is right here on these forums for you to read where he makes clear that memory constraints have been quite problematic.

Corp-speak? Are you really going to go down the path of conspiracy theories now too? Please, stop it while you are behind. We can do without this negativity over good news.

It would be nice if you would do your homework before spreading misinformation here.
  6. Qelil Augur

Make Zek ! Cajole them with cookies. Torment them after they transfer to the server. ;)

Wow... it wouldn't let write great or again after Make Zek. We'll have none of that political incorrectness around here!
  7. Elemental Augur

Zek copy would ruin our server because then our toons, which aren't copied are filled with a server with copied toons. We don't want your trash copied toons yucking up our server.

8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Where are the mobs? You know how you can tell how easy a game is? By seeing a UI that covers everything.
    Shindius likes this.
  9. Fell Augur

Right. Being correct is what makes me correct.

More correctly, it's an view of the private working set and is (excluding minor issues like a badly fragmented heap) quite accurate. It doesn't show process shared memory or the total commit charge, no. For that I usually use a custom heapwalker, but you can use something like rammap or process explorer -- available from MS's sysinternals site. And guess what? Those values are, as I alluded earlier, indeed slightly higher. But not significantly so. And they're still far below the 4GB memory-space limit.

The fact is that it doesn't hit the limit. And no well-written app ever crashes due to "memory issues". Only apps with bugs such as memory leaks or improper error-checking of allocation handles. But sorry, Cupcake: if an app has those bugs, converting to 64-bit won't magically solve them. It'll still crash, albeit somewhat less frequently.

I took the time to dump the PE header data on eqclient.exe, and discovered that, even after all these years, no one ever bothered to set the large address aware flag. With it left unset, it is physically impossible for EQ to be reaching the 32-bit memory limit, as the OS will refuse to allocate to it more than half that memory. EQ has, in effect, crippled itself.

Wow. Think you'll fool anyone with that carefully-vague meaningless doublespeak?
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is almost like this is one of the reasons people don't want to play PvP in EQ. Inviting someone to join the only PvP server with the promise that you want to make it so they can't actually play.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Ignoring the fact that one of the big gains is going to be the servers themselves? What do you think the chances that they are using that little memory?
  12. Fell Augur

Have a little empathy, brother. Twenty years of isolation on Zek has obviously driven the poor chap insane. He's like those primitive Sentineli tribesmen who, even today, savage and kill anyone who attempts to approach their remote island.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Randomized Augur

Stopped getting hits on your "not really swarming swarming video" on youtube and now you've gotta reimplement it into other threads that are not relevant at all. Sad day. But 400 views! Gratz! Viral status!

And saying "we run the server" doesn't equate to much when there's just 10 of you. It's no different than me saying "we run BB and Bertox and Xegony". I have characters on all those servers and "i" fit into the "we" of the populace of the server.

Back on topic though: OP has been given suggestions and ideas on how to make his idea work if he truly wants it to. Although I don't think it'll get much traction, I hope he actually attempts it and gets a bite or two.
    Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.