3D Headgear + EQ 64-bit client?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

With the new client coming is there any thought of an option that would allow us to wear a 3D headpiece to view the game while playing? Would absolutely love that
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Would definitely be cool.

Who knows what they'll decide to implement...but with the size of their current team, I wouldn't bet on a 3D option.
    Shindius and Randomized like this.
  3. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Dumb question but can the video output of our computer be directed to the headgear so that we see the game while wearing the gear instead of looking at our computer screen? Has anyone tried this?
  4. Tucoh Augur

As a game EQ isn't very suitable to VR. Engine issues aside it's a very UI / text driven game with a lot of character movement. The dungeons would also feel very claustrophobic, even with shrink.

If you had a VIVE / Oculus you could probably get "something" to work, but even if it wasn't a nausea inducing mess you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as you think you would.
    Skuz, Shindius, Ozon and 2 others like this.
  5. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Well I guess the point is I just want to redirect the video signal to a headset to achieve a "virtual" large screen to play on? The interface would be the computer keyboard & mouse...I just want a large screen and to view the game in the headset if that is at all possible. Just dont want to spend hundreds of dollars to test feasibility.
  6. ForumBoss Augur

A 64 bit client doesnt really have anything to do with vr whatsoever. What would have to be done is port the game to unity or unreal engine which has built in vr. I highly doubt it would happen, but would definitely like it to happen. Keyboard and mouse controls would work, but you'd have a bunch of chat windows and hot bars hovering in front of you in 3d space.

People have ported certain zones or expansions into vr, but I haven't seen anything fully playable.
    Vizier, Shindius, minimind and 2 others like this.
  7. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Thank you...I don't know that much about headsets. I didn't know if the video signal could be re-directed to the headset and it would throw up a "virtual rectangular monitor screen" of something like 40" that would be basically a laptop screen except viewed in the headset.
    That's a cool video you have but it's a 3D rendered zone I think?
  8. ForumBoss Augur

Yeah, they exported the zone model and ported it into unity or something for that video. Vr headsets do let you use a "virtual desktop", so you could use the headset while playing, but it would be a 2d window in 3d space. The resolution on the best headsets is barely sufficient for this, but likely you'd have to use a large chat font size to read text clearly. There are apps to try to shoe horn 3d , like watching a 3d movie, but without vr controls (vorpx). I have no idea how it works for eq, if at all.
    minimind and Deux like this.
  9. Sobmre Augur

get outta here zuckerburg
  10. Tucoh Augur

Not sure if this is the best software out there for this still but: https://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/Virtual_Desktop/

Sadly, the current headsets don't have a resolution where this won't be poor. Getting a VIVE Pro 2 for $800 or whatever and using it like this would be like getting a 85" TV and running at 1600x1200 resolution. It's fun at first but it won't take long before you'd rather just play on something like this $140 monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-E248W-19203R-Monitor-Speakers-Metallic/dp/B0773ZY26F

Pimax is flexing on a 12k headset for next year, and other more reputable VR manufacturers are targeting that range, but we're just not there yet. https://uploadvr.com/pimax-reality-standalone/ VR is here, just for specific use-cases, not for general purpose monitor replacement.
    Deux likes this.
  11. The real Sandaormo Augur

Hard pass on wearing a stupid helmet all night playing EQ VR.
    Shindius and Sissruukk like this.
  12. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Thanks Tucoh that was exactly what I was talking about. Maybe in a year or two this might be feasible I suppose although I wonder if it gives you a headache after a while?
  13. Tucoh Augur

Yes. EQ in particular would be vomit city for a variety of reasons.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have a hard enough time in real life when I am driving or walking along and think I see a shiny. :D
    Shindius and Sissruukk like this.
  15. Shindius Journeyman

We're not ready for EQ in the Matrix yet....
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Vomit city would be useful, to use up all that hoarded toilet paper from the start of the pandemic.
    Tucoh likes this.
  17. Qelil Augur

Holodeck version or bust. Accept no substitutes!
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think VR is still a gimmick myself because very few games are built specifically for it and of those very few really capitalise on the medium's best points and too few work with the medium's limitations.

Until a "killer app" MMORPG is developed specifically with VR in mind then just about every MMO designed for a keyboard and mouse is going to be an absolutely crap experience in VR.

A VR EverQuest would have to be built from the ground up with a specific VRUI & VR control scheme that would likely be very different or even radically different in design to the UI for a regular monitor user.

The moving around in 3d space EQ does would be fine in VR, but it's the massive amount of hotbars hotkeys and typing involved that make it very VR unsuitable.

If you want to grasp what a VR EQ would be like to play then try raiding in the current game with just a PC steering wheel controller or flight-stick & see how well you do.

Also a big limitation of VR is "you can fool the eye but you cannot fool the inner ear"...which is why motion sickness in VR is a massive problem for many players, when the visual does not match what the ear senses the resulting conflict in the brain induces really intense nausea quite rapidly.
    Qelil likes this.
  19. AB_H'Sishi Augur

I have different experiences with Motion Sickness in VR.

I own a WMR headset with first gen spec's. The controllers have a touchpad area and thumbsticks. Moving with the touchpad causes irritations. Moving with the thumbsticks is fine.

But still, I can't imagine how playing EQ in VR will work. If attacking is similar to Skyrim VR, you'll need free space around you. But I wonder how you'll track kicks from monks and tanks ...
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite so, I don't want to live in a Zuckerburg inspired and controlled world.