Sunsetting 32bit and Truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Yteran, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Yteran Lorekeeper

I can't be the only one who is considering lowering how many boxes I run (currently 3) when 32bit sunsets. I use old hardware that I had laying around, and can't imagine forking out hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for a 64bit compatible PC just to run an additional account on TLPs.

Is there any chance of removing truebox early on the new random loot ruleset servers? Say around GoD/OoW era, when population typically drops off and grouping becomes more difficult?

Or, for example, changing the truebox limitations to allow two accounts on one PC?

Would love to hear the thoughts of the rest of the player base on this.
    Duder and theonepercent like this.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Wouldn't shock me if they see the population tank they don't do true box again on their TLPs. At least for awhile. I'm in the same boat. I fixed up an old laptop I hadn't turned on in years, and it runs eq great. But its a 32 bit processor. I have zero need to buy another PC when I already have 4. I'm not going to do it just so I have some extra DPS on a TLP server =P

But if this is where you mainly play, I bet many people will do so to keep going.
    Duder likes this.
  3. Captain Video Augur

This has been requested/begged for in every TLP cycle to date. Company position has always been that the ruleset is locked for the life of the server, and if it starts with Truebox, it ends with Truebox. There is one TLP, Rizlona, which has been non-Truebox from the start. Rizlona is now in GoD, so if you wanted to roll new toons there, it's a good time to start.
  4. suinegEQ Elder

If your computer can't handle 64 bit I don't understand just how old it is.

I don't think a 32 bit only processor has been made in 15 years.

You cannot seriously have hardware that doesn't support a 64 bit OS and applications.
    Metanis, code-zero, Dono27 and 3 others like this.
  5. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I believe the last intel CPU that was intended for desktop use that was 32 bit were first released at the end of 2004.

There were some extreme budget laptop cpu's that were released in 2011, but they were not sold very long.

Can't wait for the multiple rants from people complaining about it. It's going to be great.
    Dono27 likes this.
  6. Yteran Lorekeeper

Shame on you for implying old equipment that still works should be thrown away, or left on a shelf to collect dust.
    Appren, MasterMagnus and Duder like this.
  7. suinegEQ Elder

LOL anything like that is literally e-waste and is a danger to your entire home for burning it all down.

Catch up with 10 years ago when they go 64 bit or stop playing. Don't try and make excuses to try and sneak truebox from being lifted.
    code-zero, Keella and Dono27 like this.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Truebox like that stops anyone. :rolleyes:
    Stymie and Keella like this.
  9. jeskola pheerie

I doubt OP even knows if their truebox PCs support 64-bit or not.
    code-zero, Nolrog and Keella like this.
  10. Fell Augur

Not that I'm agreeing with the OP, but pcs with 64-bit CPUs, but 32-bit OSes and drivers shipped for many years beyond 2004.
    Keella likes this.
  11. Slasher Augur

Yes and MS has been giving away windows for years that they can update to windows 10 64bit or even find a cheap windows 7 64bit. A 64bit OS will not run any slower than a 32bit one on the same hardware.
    code-zero and Keella like this.
  12. suinegEQ Elder

Which is a format away from switching.
  13. Fell Augur

That assumes that 64-bit drivers are available for all that old hardware ... which often is not the case.
  14. suinegEQ Elder

You can run EQ on Linux which will support that hardware natively in x64.
  15. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

16. Gnothappening Augur

Lots of us have some 32 bit only machines that we run EQ on. I got mine from places like craigslist and such as well as cobbling together some older stuff. One of mine is an intel Atom. It was put into computers until about 2013 or so. It is 32 bit but doesn't use much power at all, so I love it because of almost no heat.

Not the end of the world, but in order to truebox a group I'll need to get another computer. Personally, I would love to see them remove the truebox restriction, but I think that if they do that the botting will get even worse.
    Duder likes this.
  17. Fell Augur

If a 64-bit Windows driver doesn't exist for an old piece of hardware, it's doubtful a Linux driver does. And regardless, the 64-bit EQ client is going to use considerably more memory. Good luck trying to run that -- and the overhead of 64-bit Windows emulation, on a box that probably has only 2GB or less of RAM.
    Keella likes this.
  18. Hashire New Member

Time to stop buying Krono and spend your money on technology that's not as old as your children.
    Bobbybick and Keella like this.
  19. Xeris Augur

10/10 thread. I feel like some of the player base in EQ really needs to get their priorities in order. Even my 85 year old grandma has a 64 bit computer.
    Maedhros, Metanis, code-zero and 4 others like this.
  20. Gnothappening Augur

Some people liked the fact that EQ would run on a toaster. I liked the fact that it isn't a resource hog. I hope that EQgame.exe doesn't go from using about 700 MB to 3 GB, but we will see. Also, I hate any time there is a mention of "better graphics." Luclin taught me that "better" graphics, aren't necessarily better.

Also, a lot of us remember the horrors of Luclin launch and the graphics upgrade. There were a lot of computers that quit working due to graphics cards. Also, a lot of computers that had ran EQ fine before, suddenly bogged down.

In the end the game will be better for it, hopefully. Either that or it the playerbase will shrink even more. It is what it is.