Is Overseer unbalanced?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

They changed the way we level from 111-115 for one reason and one reason only...to force people to play the new content if they wanted to level. There was literally no other reason to change the way players had leveled for 20+ years. They produce so little content in expansions now, they want to make sure people use it.

When Overseer was launched, it lessened some of the negative aspects of the "new normal" of leveling. Doing the four missions (or getting task adds) will get you from 111 to to nearly 114 I think, and then if you don't want to any other progression, you can use Overseer to max out. Or just use Overseer completely to hit 115. I leveled a rogue from 110 to 115 and never left the lobby.

But the thing is, they didn't have to do what they did. They could have easily left the xp grind/leveling curve the way it was AND given the missions/progression tasks slightly higher rewards. That way, players could play however they wanted and still progress their character. Some people would have hit max level quicker, some would have done it slowly via grinding...and not a single player would have cared or complained.

They changed the leveling process out of spite, to force players to play the new content.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Is overseer OP? Yes. And that's OK.
  3. Stephen51 Augur

If you have 1 single character on your account (per server) then the rewards could be bountiful. If you have 10 characters, all of those benefits are shared. Currently I think the reward levels are fine.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Windance Augur

Each of the 4x HAs is worth approx 22.5% of a level so getting all 4x + achievement for completing them all gives 5x 22.5% = 112.5% of a level at 114.

The rewards stack with the global XP bonus you get during a bonus weekend.
    They do NOT stack with lesions or XP potions.

How long did it take you to go from 110 to 115 with just overseer? If you're really diligent and cycling the full 10x quests a day I can see getting there in about 3 months.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

My rogue was sitting at a tick under 111 and I got him two ToV mission task adds, then just started doing Overseer, with some collections thrown in here and there. I wasn't religiously doing Overseer for that toon everyday, so the total time to hit 115 was probably around a month, had I done it every single day. There was a bonus (double) xp weekend in the middle of that as well, which also doubled the xp from the collections.

On a good day of Overseer criticals during the bonus xp period, running as many quests as I could during a 24-hour period (not paying to finish early), I could get around 25% xp between Overseer and random collections completed.

Considering how many collection rewards there are for each expansion, you could probably take a level 111 toon and get it to 115 just from doing collections during a double xp period, if you had the collectibles ready to click.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Gonna need some overseer rewards to evolve this RZ earring through to level 7 after ToL comes out!!!
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

3 months = 90 days. Divided by 5 levels is 18 days per level. That would be about 5.5% of a level per day.

That WAY lower per day than what I've seen.

Since I keep notes, I just checked them. Took 11 days to go from 112 to 113, 15 days more to 114, and 11 days more to 115. And that was without being super diligent with the quests. I don't think it would be hard to make a level every 9 days if you're really staying on top of it.
  8. Alnitak Augur

Your math is off. Quest rewards in ToV give a fixed amount of experience (some number used in inner calculations). A single EW HA can bump a lvl 100 character to lvl 104-105 during bonus time, although it is indeed just 22.5% at lvl 114 without a bonus.
    Similarly, other ToV quests give different reward percentage at different levels though the actual experience value stays the same.
    Overseer quest experience reward, similarly to Collection achievement rewards are set at a fixed level %.
    Collections give 2% of the level regardless of the character level, so it is more valuable at higher levels.
    Basic math suggests to do ToV progression first, then top-off with Overseer/Collection rewards.

During July 4th +76% bonus I have leveled an alt from lvl 100 to 114.5+ with just ToV progression and topped it off to 115 with Overseer/Collections in a day or two. The biggest challenge was to deal with wasted Mercenary AA's (some HA's/Partisan tasks reward with 15+ merc AA's and if it is a final part of the Achievement (especially Paragon) some large number of mercenary AA's get wasted by exceeding limit of 20.
  9. Peter_The_great Elder

Does devs even care what we gamers think?
  10. Qelil Augur

If you get 10% of a level per day with Overseer the following is true:

To go from level 85 to 120 will take 350 days to reach level 120 (35 levels x 10 days each)
    I would say this does not qualify as a catchup mechanic considering this. A returning player buying a heroic boost and then doing just overseer will take a full year to get to level cap and of course not know how to play their toon, not be geared and not have spells/discs unless they buy krono, turn it into plat and fund those things that way since they are not actually out playing the game.

Therefore, the idea that Overseer is some kind of big deal xp-wise is kind of silly in my mind. It offers some nice little perks for cheap and that's it.

Can you take some neglected alt further doing this for short amounts of time daily? Sure. That's a nice thing about it. Again though, is this some kind of major deal that solves any problems or creates any? I don't think so. I view perks the same way in terms of what they offer players.

No, the game needs work. We want to play like we used to be able to. Why is that bad? It's what has kept some of us here for a lot of years. We like playing the game the way we've always known it. We don't want WoW-like, led by the nose, quests and dailies as the ONLY way to get where we want to go. I am not knocking these things as positive additions to the game. I think they are. However, I do not like how the good old camp and grind productively has been left out. It is something that makes EQ different and in my opinion, better than other MMO's. I can do what I want, how I want, when I want and still be productive with my gaming time. What is wrong with that and asking for it?

There is something wrong when the standard answer to issues related to leveling in this now very old game is, you need to box. I don't want to box toons and feel like the wizard of oz behind the curtain broadcasting keys to various toons from one screen and paying even more money for the privilege of doing that and spending my valuable time learning how that software works assuming it doesn't violate the EULA to use it. I don't know about that because I don't care about that. I wouldn't bother. For me, it's immersion breaking in a big way.

Without devoting a lot of thought to this it seems to me that simply adding rotating hot zones which use existing zones all the way to cap should not be a huge, major project versus other corrections that might be designed and implemented. We already know that works well. Of course, that means there needs to be several zones every 5 levels up to cap that somebody can actually set foot in molo and productively grind for xp and minor rewards as well as level appropriate gear upgrades.

This isn't hard. It's just putting back what we already had instead of ditching it for stuff that leaves too many people out which is why conversations like this one arise to begin with.
  11. Kolaisa Elder

You dont need to be concerned with the merc AA now that its been changed. Mercs can be suspended and you still get the xp for it, for all non kill methods of xp gain.
    Qelil likes this.
  12. Qelil Augur

I think they do very much actually. Management however can be another story. It's still early so we shall see what happens but the development team works very hard on this and I think they really put their hearts into it too. It's good for us I think to be kind in our words to them because they do all the work but major decisions come from management. Management is completely responsible for what is and is not done with development of this game.
  13. Cicelee Augur

I always get a chuckle when people complain about QUESTing in EverQUEST.

Maybe some of you want to play EverGrind or EverMindlesslykillinglightbluesinsupereasyzonesfromtwoexpansionsago.
    I dunno...
    Kaenneth and Ozon like this.
  14. Peter_The_great Elder

I would love to believe that, but I doubt it.. like the useless perks they gave us.. who ever asked for that one crap?

I know.. I'll ruin the mood for many of you, but come on.. game devs needs to give us who plays the game..

Right now it feels like following a red line what it comes to the classes.. raid gear or no raid gear, that's the question.

Nerf raid gear or make it more open for all, not just the elite.
  15. Peter_The_great Elder

Thing is, game is bout playing in big groups .. there are no groups, only the elite solo with their armies.
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Quests in EQ are so painful.
  17. Peter_The_great Elder

Don't you like run-around-quest?
  18. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Love it! I love that the zones provide no visual feedback for the quests that are contained within them. For example, Eastern Wastes, Missionary Ada supposed to follow tracks and a bloody trail, but the zone is all white with more white.

I love trying to coordinate solo tasks across multiple people. This isn't really a specific EQ complaint, but other games are solo-orientated so its less of a pain.

Missions are fine and most shared tasks are fine. I hate the lockout system. It should've just been a reduced reward for each attempt within 24 hours.
  19. Qelil Augur

I think you missed what I said. It is quite unlikely the developers decided to implement perks for profits. You can blame management for that. The developers work for management not the other way around.

As for raid gear, this age old complaint has the same valid answer every time. If you are not raiding, you do not need raid gear. Period. If group content feels to you like you need raid gear one of two things or some combination of them is true. The game balance is off and too difficult for most people in group gear or you need to take a look at how you might improve the situation yourself. Handing out raid gear to people not raiding is not the answer. Calling people who play the raiding game the elite is not the answer either. If you want raid gear go earn it like raiders do. Problem solved.

EverQuest has never been a game to spoon feed us fun. It's on us to go find it, to make it. It's not like there are not options and in the past day I have read some very good posts pointing them out in this forum. If nothing is gonna do it for you save the developers fixing the game in a big way right now then I think you probably need a little break because that just is not going to happen.
  20. Qelil Augur

You know, sometimes when for whatever reasons you get burnt to a crisp playing an MMO nobody is going to have the right answers for you. At least that's how I felt when I was a crispy critter. In fairness and in my own case I think I own that when I let it reach that point and that's why I chose to step away sometimes and come back with my attitude adjusted after a rest. It's not wrong or bad to need a break and take one. It's just a game. That's all this is. It's just a game. If you are not having fun most of the time, it is definitely time to do something else for a bit so it can be again later.