gina question - where is the exe?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

Someone was having trouble getting gina to load and Im trying to help. But now when I look for my install, Im not finding it. It used to be that if I right click the gina icon on the taskbar I could find the path to the exe, but thats not showing now. All it shows is a path to the folder where windows shows whats on the taskbar. And if I right click that icon, it shows the path to itself. Did a full C drive file search for gina.exe and didnt find it. WTH is going on? Is gina running straight off of the download setup.exe? I can find the folders with triggers and config, but no exe.

edit: to be clear - gina does still work for me. Im just trying to find the exe so I can see what you see if you right click it.
  2. Fullwin Journeyman

I could easily be wrong about this but I don't think the shortcut links to an executable; if you type %LocalAppData%\Apps into File Explorer it should lead you to a configuration file for GINA (mine is just called user.config).
    How Windows actually loads up GINA is otherwise a mystery to me.
  3. Windance Augur

It has been a while so my recollection is probably not 100% ... but ... I remember reading a thread on the GINA forums asking why the developers of GINA chose to have it so hard to find where the exe and data files are located and it came down to making the installer 'easier'.

Personally I wish they just had GINA as a stand alone zip file where everything was in the folder you extract that to.

With that said I think you can find where it is installed by searching for *GINA*.EXE

You need to put some wild cards aka " * " because the actual name of the executable will have some extra stuff.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

You literally MUST search for it it (or else just keep going through folders). It will be listed as "Application" using just a "GINA" search string. You can narrow the search time down by starting the search in the Local\Apps folder.

For instance, mine is here:

C:\Users\Graye\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\2HD6G1MZ.7BL\HAJB0GY0.Z15\gina..tion_d03ba0016bff7a04_0001.0000_fc82d1d3f3c9fc35
    Windance likes this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I believe GINA uses Microsoft's ClickOnce installation. This puts the program in someplace like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\GimaSoft\GINA. But not the executable, which is actually someplace like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\80ROG3C0.14Y\C9QDJPEG.HEB\gina..tion_d03ba0016bff7a04_0001.0020_01c7bcb8e29f5572\GINA.exe.

It's an insane way to install programs. The only benefit I see to it is security, that is no malware can know where it is by default, as it seems to have some random folder name generated each installation. Also, it permits users with limited permissions the ability to install it.

I can't stand installations that don't permit you to decide where to install a program but go ahead and force it where it wants to go. But that is Microsoft, "Where do you want go today?"...."Never mind, we will tell you where you will go".

I've worked with Microsoft Visual Studio, which is their programming development software and this is very annoying. There are ways around this, as shown by most programs that do allow you to pick where to install it. However, this requires extra steps in development and often use third party installation programs.

Here is a link that explains: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...lickonce-security-and-deployment?view=vs-2019

If you wish more information, just search for "clickonce installation".
    Duder, Nennius, Coagagin and 2 others like this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Part of the reason to use ClickOnce is also it allows auto updating over the internet. Which is one of the nicer things about GINA. Again, there are ways to do this and still allow users to pick the installation path, but it is extra work for the programmer.
    Nennius and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  7. Windance Augur

Speaking of GINA madness:

I have a guild mate who often complain about GINA audio not working.

1. I remote into his machine and can see the GINA trigger fire
    2. I can hear it on my PC over the remote desktop
    3. He can not hear any sound from GINA
    4. Other games, system sound tests, etc. work fine and he can hear them.

The only way he seems to be able to get it to work is to reboot his machine. Load GINA first, then EQ.

Has anyone heard of a similar issue or a better workaround ?
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

I dont mind where it installed, but wow. It should always be possible to locate the executable using the shortcut. Using filesearch on the C: drive didnt even find it. But with the path shown above I did locate it. Thanks.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Similar. I had a guildmate who had all sounds working fine except for GINA. I went into their Windows sound settings and clicked the button to reset to default. After that it worked.
  10. Coagagin Guild house cat

Goto
    Task Manager -> Details -> GINA, reveals:

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\17LMCW18.22N\O413R485.M0K\gina..tion_d03ba0016bff7a04_0001.0000_01c7bcb8e29f5572

Also helpful for setting GINA's priority to HIGH instead of normal.
    Svann2 likes this.
  11. nitrocutter Journeyman

Yeah so the few people that I have helped fix this issue have had their "Application Sounds" muted in their Mixer. If you make sure not to mute the Application Sounds they can hear their GINA.
    Duder likes this.