How to Report Cheaters/Botters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razorfall, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

Guess I shouldn't use my smoke bomb anymore :(
  2. Bigstomp Augur

I don't think I've ever traded 1 copper, but I do recall some time back when coins had weight and didn't auto round up, splitting what felt like millions of copper with the group and porting someone who had fell asleep on us in our group to the middle of nowhere with my druid.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

/autosplit was a great blessing.
  4. Razorfall Augur

You now have to /report the person first
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I used to be guilded with Zunn, I can attest to this. I got used to sending tells to both alts if I needed a reply.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Your link doesn't say anything about /report.

"To report a player you believe to be cheating/botting, please submit a support ticket........"

However if you wish to make a /report it would be more for toxic behavior since it copies the text box.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...-How-do-I-report-toxic-behavior-in-EverQuest-

And most important of all is the disclaimer:

Please note: We do not directly receive the reports so it is important to both /report and submit a support ticket with the following information..........
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think that was his whole point, that the FAQ was somehow in need of an update.

Im guessing the OP has inside info not present in the FAQ, don't ask me how? :confused:
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, or the OP is confused and looked at the wrong FAQ
  9. Tucoh Augur

Determining who is cheating is difficult in EQ because botting is perfectly legal in EQ on live servers / Rizlona. Unattended gameplay isn't. Someone can run macaroni quest all day long and as long as they are at their PC they are fine. Some people disagree with this, but the number of people actively and obviously running macaroni are my evidence that they're mistaken.

Because actions are automated it's difficult to decide if they are at their keyboard or not. You, as a GM or a player, can't just start messing with their mobs and sending them tells. They also have defensive measures against it like notifications to their phones when they receive a tell or auto-logout procedures when a player comes near them or interacts with them. You could do a great detective job, determine someone is totally botting, report it, and a GM will respond to it, see the same box team that "foiled" them 3x before and be unable to ban them.

What's the solution to this? I dunno. I'd be fine creating a "prison" live server that anyone running macaroni gets sent to. Or inner space boxer (what I use). DPG has the most useless policy around banning in the MMO gaming world, they ban players for public shaming or self-policing by training bots and when someone does get banned for cheating it's entirely anonymous.

If it were me I'd publish a policy of giving someone no more than thirty seconds to answer a tell (if they are actively fighting) before getting warned, give them a warning, 1 week suspension, 1 month suspension and then after perma-banning them publicly post all the chars on the account and what guilds those chars were in. Would clean things up pretty quickly.
  10. Petalonyx Augur

I dont think this is true. Did you mean boxing?

Use of 3rd party programs that play for you is against the rules, whether you are sitting there at keyboard or not!

Also disagree that it is too difficult for someone to detect automated play while the player is at keyboard. If you know what to look for (and I expect EQ enforcement does), it isnt too hard to confirm. No need to message them at all.

Whether the actionable offenses are actioned is a seperate question.
    Jumbur likes this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

No, I met botting. As in, a robot playing the game for you.
    Sure, it's also the question that matters.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Note that DPG invests more in policing discussion about cheating on their forums than they invest in preventing cheating in their game.
    IblisTheMage, Samatman and Duder like this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Hmm, It seems they want to hide the fact that people get banned for botting...My example of a ban got deleted.

I wonder why they would hide that...? :confused: I would think it would have a preventive effect on cheaters...

Anyways, you can always report cheaters to their guild masters, some guilds have rules that they enforce. It probably won't remove them from the game, but they might have to start looking for a new guild.
  14. demi Augur

lol it seems my reply to your example got deleted also .. :confused: oh well ..
  15. Zunnoab Augur

They likely aren't trying to hide anything. I've found there is usually more to the story someone gives when trying to mock a moderation. I'm guessing player names were used or something.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Could be the reason, now that I think about it. Player names were visible, and it would be easy to find the names of his replacement-chars too.
  17. Stymie Pendragon

My tongue was heavily planted in my cheek when I spelled it that way. :)
  18. Felixus Journeyman

Snitches get stitches!
    demi and Tucoh like this.
  19. demi Augur

rofl :D
  20. Samatman Augur

I've been PLing alts in shards landing recently and discovered a afk leveling group. Fully afk. No one at home for days maybe weeks. Honestly don't care about this. I just pull everything around them. If they were set up at an important named spawn in a current xpac, maybe I would care? I honestly feel sorry for them. I make more exp in 30 min than they do in a several days.