Long lasting expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Alnitak Augur

Just stop it please. Everybody read already those 100 posts of yours about your vision of TSS-like expansion for higher levels.
    It doesn't take that much time to level up a toon. That TSS-like expansion of yours will be as empty as actual TSS itself (well, except Blighfire Moors, gotta make a run from Origin point in Crescent Reach to PoK somehow).
    It takes just a few days to PL a toon (by normal means) from 85 to 115, nobody will spend more than an evening in that vision of yours.
    Ozon likes this.
  2. Evye Augur

What if they made a normal sized expansion but after you beat it once you could start over on a harder version of it? Kind of like + modes on Dark Souls.
  3. Randomized Augur

So we're wanting to make content, that you can't do, until new content is out, making either the new content, or the old content irrelevant because...new content?

That's your vision?

Why would I stick in an old expansion that requires me to be level 130, when the new expansion gives me level 130 and the same things? What's the point in that?
    Ozon and Yinla like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A "TSS-like" expansion from 80-115 doesn't fix the problem of levelling through that range, it won't magically make people play in the low level content and it becomes dated just like every other expansion so a new gap to cross will develop.

The proper solution to the catch-up gap not requiring powerlevelling help from friends or paying for it as a service from other players is a "sidekicking" / "squire" / "boost the noobs" type buff that makes a low level player somewhat equivalent to the highest level player in the group, or around 5 levels below cap at least, boosting their existing level/damage/healing even while they will lack a full range of spells and abilities.

Then the lowbie can just join regular groups and be somewhat useful and gain XP, this solution then works in any expansion for any level range, as they catch up in levels Autogrant will give them AA as they go along.
    I would add a merc autogrant in conjunction with rolling out the side-kick mechanic.

The only downside of this system is that the low level player wont be seeing the content for the intervening levels at the level it was intended for as they will be spending their time in the new content, but the choice is either play with others in current content or play alone/molo in old content and a lowbie can do either with this system, maybe even a combination of the two depending on mood.

We've already seen that "scale-down" systems simply do not get the job done (in EQ or any other MMO), high level players are effectively penalised for playing in prior era content which is why powerlevelling is still preferred by those helping lower level friends/guildmates. That's why a "scale up" works so much better.
    Tucoh likes this.
  5. Stephen51 Augur

I like the idea of an end zone. Really tough, mobs are immune to mez, stun, snare. Repops are fast. You know a lot like the entry levels are now :p but there was reward for the risk.

In the past it seems with eq, risk and reward are a bit out of whack. Hard as nails mobs in low to mid-level zones with little or no loot. Currently there are no end zones, you are likely to need loot in a t1 zone as you are t2 (augs I'm thinking of)

So if it was a lvl 115 expansion - all of your other zones would have your cookie cutter loot, but the end zone would have a guardian outside. Too tough for a group to take down, but maybe 2 groupable by raiders (or a makeshift raid of group players). Once it's dead it doesnt repop for a week - and the hoard's can get in!

This is where you put all of your neat drops. Mid-level between top tier group and tier 1 raid gear. Some augs, some unique clickies. All mobs would be 118-121. Something for groupers and raiders. If the zone is going to be tough, your loot should reflect that.

Or you could create it as an anniversary zone. Each year/two years, just revamp it and maybe make an npc take you to the lower level instanced versions of it.
    Ozon likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The problem then is you do away with the need for certain classes in groups. Making groups just need a healer tank and godly DPS for some classes it is hard to find groups these days as it is, without making it worse.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Veeshan's Peak (RoS) was like this and had really good rewards while requiring significant investment to enter. I'd love it if every expansion had a similar zone.
    Randomized and Skuz like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

VP was easier to kill in than Skyfire was, VP should have had the flying trash that agroed everyone and the drunk mechanic not a T1 zone.
    Tucoh and Skuz like this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Horrible zone. Just horrible.
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Windance Augur

PoWar was another zone that was super hard at the time. Folks still go back for the CoP 4 clickes.

Maybe its time to do something like that again with CoP 5 clickies.

The bosses could be done with 4-5 groups, so it was good stuff to do over the summer when fewer folks were on. It didn't have many "DPS" checks. In fact one of the encounters got harder if you tried to over DPS the boss.

The original poster would hate PoWar though, it an end level zone where the unprepared just got run over. Not a go there at level 1 and do the same mission until max level.
  11. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Those dont go over all that well. I personally loved me some Tipt (and the sewers missions), but, that was not a well received type of content.

PoWar while current content is rather unfondly remembered as well.

GW2 handled that well (pre mounts), but they designed the entire original game around scaling down. And even that gets wobbly as they didnt have even a passable condition (DoT) damage set in the game at launch.
  12. Nolrog Augur

More than likely they would find something else to do. Unbeatable content is not fun and when the game stops being fun, people find other fun things to do.
    Yinla likes this.