Locking windows doesn't work

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by narksar, Aug 21, 2021.

1. narksar Augur

Me: What is this
    EQ: Click this and Lock your window
    Me: *Locks chat window*
    EQ: *Locks Chat Windows*
    Me: *Changes Resolution intentionally or unintentionally*
    EQ: *Unlocks Chat Windows, moves them, then re-locks them*
    Me: *Facepalm*
    Me: Seriously?!
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

That's not what locking windows does.
    Locking windows prevents YOU from accidentally moving a window if you miss click on it.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  3. narksar Augur

1. That's like telling someone the car you sold them doesn't have breaks 2 months after they bought it
    2. I've had more problems with the game moving (or trying to move) windows than me moving them
    3. Who would actually expect/want it to be limited to just themselves?!
    4. The game doesn't actually clarify that.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

o_O

Maybe you are making assumptions about the EQ UI, or you expect it to work like the UI from other games, or maybe you don't understand how the EQ UI works.

If you change the resolution all the UI pieces will either squash together or look too far apart, you changed the resolution of the background screen where the game is being displayed, but the UI is layered over the top of that and the resolution of that is separate from the background.

The EQ UI does not have the capability to automatically adjust scaling & positioning for all of the UI pieces so that they look the same no matter what resolution you use, it has no "snap-to" functionality either of any kind, this is because it is over 15 years old, it's freaking ancient UI Tech.

You set the resolution for EQ, set up your UI and DONE.

If you are constantly faffing-about with the screen resolution and breaking the UI layout to begin with....

Are you only sometimes swapping between full-screen and windowed mode?
    Then set them to be the same resolution.

Are you swapping between ful-screen and windowed all the dang time?
    Then just play in windowed mode, the hassle of swapping back and forth is not worth it and doing so is known to make the client liable to crash.

The reason you lock windows to prevent yourself moving them is if you are clicking your UI with your mouse a lot you can inadvertantly drag stuff you didn't want to because the human body makes contant mistakes it adjusts for afterwards, you don't need to have a severe neurological condition to accidentally click twice or forget to take your finger off the mouse after clicking, it happens all the time to perfectly healthy people too. The connection between the brain & the fingers is pretty good, but it rarely ever perfect, expecially over long play sessions.
    Waring_McMarrin and Velisaris_MS like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

locked bags still close when you zone, would be nice if they stayed open.
  6. Gialana Augur

It would be nice if locking a window prevented it from being closed.
    I've accidentally clicked on a locked chat window's X a few times, and it's very annoying to have to open a new window and reset all of the filters.
  7. narksar Augur

I don't deliberately alter the screen resolution, if it matters. Though I would argue it doesn't. When it happens, it happens on accident. Kind of like how you reference the inadvertent alteration of window locations. Though I make fewer individual window errors than I do overall screen resolution errors. Its easier to modify a single window that I accidentally moved out of place than to move all of them.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent