Weapon ornament graphics when running...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I don't see my weapon untill I put a cool ornament in it, then when I run I see it all in my face.
    Is there a way to turn this down?
    This annoyance is stopping me from buying more weapon ornaments.
    Yinla and Fanra like this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Can you be specific about your race and example ornament name? These have huge implications to this kind of thing.

Also camera angle? Are you in first person but maybe zoomed up just a little?

It doesn't actually look the same to every character.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Not just ornaments. The normal graphic for Weather, for example, does this as well. I've noticed this on a number of two handed monk weapons. Sometimes I use an ornament just to get rid of this. Race is Iksar. First person.
    Yinla and MasterMagnus like this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yeah, I suppose you're talking about like an Iksar necro with the staff that has a skull on it. As you run it swings right up close to your face.

TLDR; ultimately it's the old tech, and I wouldn't expect them to fix it.

This is a tough issue. As far as Player Studio ornaments, we had virtually nothing for tools or samples to know what size our items would end up on 15 other races.

What happens is the item is designed for Human Male, then a dev scales and rotates the item for each of the other 31 variations. This is a straight scaling of one number along all dimensions.

Each of the models have different proportions, to differing degrees, and the weapons and shield are not adjusted for proportion at all.

When combined with different arm lengths, shoulder angles, elbow angles, item lengths, and the shear number of items that would have to be checked and changed (if you tried to fix that way) is overwhelming.

I doubt they have Ttobey spend his precious EQ1 time to fix it at the model/animation level.

One of those, 'is what it is' things, I guess.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

I play in first person generally. Everything is good. Then I accidentally mouse wheel out to 3rd person and from that point on, until I zone again my weapons with modern particle effects drive me nuts as I run.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yup hit it spot on dont use 3rd and go back and your good once you do you usually have your primary swinging in your face! I usually go back and forth myself i like the extra viewing angle with mobs.

Andarriel
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You seem to be talking about 'modern particle effects' which I know nothing about. I'll just bow out.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

That is EXACTLY what happens to me. Freaked me out the first time it happened after putting an ornament in my weapon.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is why I use Wildflower Boquet, Multipurpose Weapon or Creepy Doll ornaments.
  10. Froglok Augur

I don't think they will invest the time / effort in this, since, otherwise, it works as intended.

Mayhap the only solution is to remove the ornament or try a different one?
  11. Bigstomp Augur

In my case the issue is I run around fine, then as soon as I accidentally 3rd person then the weapons are stuck in my face until I zone (including particle effects). Changing the ornament might make it less annoying but it's still there.

This is not an ornament issue, this is with regular weapons without ornamentation (and also ornaments - it's just a 1st/3rd person issue). The ornaments can be applied to reduce the particle effects but is still an issue if you scroll out to 3rd person then back into first.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

Go to options. Go to the right side and go to Particles. Click it to player. On the near clip, put it to farthest.

Doing that will eliminate the annoying effect mentioned in the OP.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

This has always been a problem. I remember when I first got my warrior Epic 1.5 swords. Blue and red lights flashing in my face forever more.
  14. The real Sandaormo Augur

First person is for swimming and when your back is in a corner only.
    Stymie likes this.
  15. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Elf. Wood, Dark..
    First person after scrolling back in.
    Anything glowy.. Arx Mentas Mace Ornament is one.

Exactly!

Hmm...
    This fixed the issue!!

Thank you Eaedyilye!
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Post #12 !! Fixed.
  17. Savagefist New Member

Unfortunately, even with the setting changes, as an ogre running with a 2 handed weapon, I still see the stupid thing waving in my face. Why that "feature" was even added is beyond me. The ability to turn it off would be amazing.