Microsoft 365 Cloud-based PC

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Metanis Bad Company

2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It looks like it is for business users only at this point and no word on a consumer version.
  3. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Business users for Xbox Cloud Gaming? I want a job at one of these businesses!
  4. Metanis Bad Company

Usually this just means you have your own domain email address. I've had my own domain for years with an email forwarder account for $5 a year. It qualifies me for Microsoft business-oriented access to things like Microsoft PowerApps.

The $31 a month would cause me more concern! :)
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

For sure that won't work for EQ. Those are VM's, and as we've seen Daybreak won't allow EQ or any of their games on VM's.
  6. Evye Augur

7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Isn't this just the old "Thin Client" idea, again?

I doubt it will be a success for gaming tbh...
  8. Metanis Bad Company

Very similar in concept. Thin clients mostly used an embedded version of Windows XP or 7 to access a remote server via the RDP protocol where the user's session ran in server memory and wasn't completely protected from either the server OS or other user sessions. And you were limited to the actual hardware installed in the server. Since most servers used bare bones graphics you weren't going to game on them!

The newer version either doesn't use RDP or it's being encapsulated inside HTTP and the remote session is actually a fully virtualized PC which means they could also be virtualizing GPU components stout enough to support a low-end game like EQ.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

An MS Surface is a laptop disguised as a tablet.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'd rather see dev time put into moving EQ (and the rest of my favorite apps) further away from Windows, not closer.
    cadres likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not to mention with better internet speeds and lower latencies the downsides of a remote machine are lowering everyday.
  12. Alnitak Augur

at 1600x1200 or 1920x1080 resolution it takes about 20-25 Mbit/s video bandwith (an mere 24 frames/sec). Times 400 (just a single "General" chat channel being full, i.e. at least 400 toons online) it equates to about 8 Gbit/s of H.264 or better generated and compressed video stream for just 1 server alone. Continuos, non-stop 24/7 video stream for just 400 toons demands about 400 modern video GP per server just to render and compress it. And for what ? So some schmuck plays EQ on some useless iPad, iPhone or Kindle ? Not a good business idea.
    At present time, game server just crunches numbers for the gameplay and sends packets of data to end-users with information like xyz-position, angles, velocity, effect ID's to display etc. Just raw numeric values. Small amount of data to send. And then the client's GPU does all the rendering and interfacing to the user (keyboard, mouse etc.) Very distributed system. No need to clump it up into a single server.
  13. Evye Augur

By that logic most modern phones are too arent they?
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

No. Pretty sure the architecture and etc of a tablet is different than that of a laptop. Tablets are big phones. Laptops are small PCs. The Surface is a PC with a removable keyboard and a touch display.

The Original surface tablets were actually tablets, I think, running applications instead of traditional software, but being 3rd to the market, they failed, so they just run windows.

I am by no means an expert on the topic. I have just talked to people who are pseudo experts on the topic who had tried to explain to me the architectural differences between an iphone/ipad and a macbook.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The original Surface was a tablet that ran a bastardization of Windows that could only run apps from the App Store. The Pro line had a full version of Windows and they were effectively laptops with removable keyboards and touch screens, as has been noted. At some point in the second or third generation they did away with this terrible idea, and now they all fit the Pro description. The difference between Standard and Pro is now based on hardware differences that mostly affect performance. They both always had the removable keyboards, but the differences in the OS versions made one useless as a PC and the other quite useful.
  16. jeskola pheerie

Pelrond likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

No.
  18. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

No, the original Surface was a big coffee table unit, designed for 4 people to use at once.

Then the hardware group came up with 2 new types of Surface; Surface RT tablets, which ran on ARM based CPUs and couldn't run PC apps, and the current Surface tablet/laptop with the detachable keyboard that ran real Windows. The Surface table line was rebranded 'PixelSense'

Hardware-wise the devices are all unrelated, but the software-side Multitouch SDK/API has the same basis.

[I worked on the table version team]
    Xanathol, Beimeith and Stymie like this.
  19. Evye Augur

I feel like specs wise most phones could run eq np
  20. Evye Augur

Microsoft wanted some of that Ipad market.
    After considering this for a moment it almost seems like if you had a table set up like that running eq. It could be a toon with people playing different roles