Server Populations…

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skrab, Jul 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not to pick a nit (well, yeah, I guess I am), the thread above mentioned suspensions, not bans.

If the players were being abusive of the system, then hopefully this wakes them up, and they keep playing but give up their a-hole ways :)

The other possibility is that DPG used a stupidly big hammer to take care of a much smaller problem, and the majority of the suspensions didn't even do anything wrong. Don't laugh, it just happened two months ago, with the Loyalty currency suspensions. Anyone who spent Loyalty when the bug was active got suspended, even if they didn't spend down below zero (i.e. they didn't do anything wrong).
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

So if the server populations are suddenly "50%"... where are all the rage posts of unjust suspensions?
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Could be another explanation for this "sudden" loss of players from general, like the chat server having problems.
    Like Smokezz says a 50% of an entire server getting banned would surely have resulted in a whole ton of posts complaining about getting banned, and we've seen none.
    Unless there is better proof of an actual ban-wave this looks like a chicken little story to me.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Bigstomp like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is not the only forum on Everquest

Just like there is a couple of discord chats, EQ Facebook and the recent invite by Accendo to follow him on twitter there are other ways of players to communicate about the game.

It was at least 50% and it seems F2P was not hit that hard.

I think it is another bug since it is just one server, so far, and such a large mass suspension.

5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

While the 50% number is on shaky ground, it is possible that they suspended/banned players are: (1) "whatever" (going to do other things IRL), (2) suspended/banned on forum accounts, or (3) Accendo is really doing a good job of cleaning up (disciplinary actions are not open for discussion).
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Or a bug like the mass ban waves in the past.

Not a single petition has gotten an answer yet. Since this started last night
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If it is relegated to one server, the exploit or whatever was confined to people "in the know" (1 guild or social circle).

There were discussions of a plat dupe on the TLP sub-forums. That knowledge could have been shared to 1 or 2 Live Servers.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No, its not 50%. That claim is a joke that requires some proof.
  9. Strawberry Augur

I just wanted to say something about the way people phrase these sentences.

These type of posts are in essence a type of threat. A threat that if Daybreak does something to stop the cheating, there will be consequences for their bottom line.

It reminds me of how a criminal gang controls a city, threatening people who speak out against criminal activity and threatening police if they actually do something about it.

And many of these groups making these hacking tools are in fact criminal gangs. The fact many groups making hacking tools for games want to be paid in bitcoin nowadays, to hide their identity, says as much.

I really don't like how these sentences suggest that Daybreak is at the mercy of cheaters. The argument that doing nothing against cheating is better than making the game fair for everyone. An argument that people then support by suggesting there will be financial consequences for controlling cheating. The suggestion that letting the game rot away is a better solution than doing something.

I really hate these arguments, because they are threats. The fact players are arguing that Daybreak will give in to cheating, shows that something needs to be done. Daybreak can not allow cheaters to control the game.
    Raccoo likes this.
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They’re too busy posting their information on those forums, so they can figure out what triggered the ban.
  11. Strawberry Augur

Just to add, inaction emboldens these networks of cheaters, they feel powerful and will copy their behavior across multiple games that share IP. They do not infest just one game.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ah, you can't post here if you are suspended...
  13. melemayhem Journeyman

most of us be very happy see the cheats gone
  14. Strawberry Augur

It is wrapped into a threat.

A network of cheaters threatening Daybreak with "unintended consequences" reminds me of a criminal network telling the shopkeeper there might be "unintended consequences" to his shop if he talks to the police.

It is taking a gaming company hostage.

"Do not address cheating or you will suffer the consequences."

These thinly veiled threats are also often written in a way that absolves the person making the threat of any wrongdoing. Just like a criminal gang makes it crystal clear there will be consequences, uses it as leverage in a discussion, but absolve themselves of any wrongdoing.

"I see you've banned some players, make sure you don't lose half your playerbase, you don't want to suffer financial losses, do you now?"

It is collective bargaining in the form of a threat, where the cheaters think they can twist Daybreak's arm.

It is about time Daybreak does something when cheaters feel so emboldened that they start using threats of financial consequences as a form of leverage in discussions.

I am "one of those people" who has seen that over the years, Everquest cheaters went from a small group of individuals, to an emboldened network with criminal tendencies. A network where money is being made to fund these activities, where cheaters find a safe-space and where hackers think they are untouchable. I am "one of those people" who see that Daybreak is increasingly being taken hostage by this network.
  15. Atomos Augur

Literally watching another forum where cheaters are posting the specifics of their suspensions (not bans). Cheating does not simply result in bans, you need several marks against your account to actually be banned. Regardless, most of those people have mass Krono spread out amongst many accounts, it's not going to take them much to get back to where they were.

The best part is one of them on the official EQ Discord attempting what appears to be bribery, just search for "1800" on the Discord, lol.

If it's supposedly only 1 server, they could be just doing 1 server at a time. But it's still kinda weird, and does make me think it's an error.

I did see a dude who's part of the ban say he was using illegal Krono.
  16. Strawberry Augur

Let's make it clear that what is happening in Everquest goes far beyond cheating.

There's a large difference between a kid using an aimbot in Fortnite to get a higher ranking, and individuals who set up a large criminal network where the hacks allow them to make money.

Since Krono came out, Everquest cheaters have increasingly formed a for-profit network, a network with criminal activity where money flows in, where the network selling the krono steals CC cards to hijack accounts, and where the network threatens the developers. These networks have crossed the line from simply cheating in a game, to criminal networks.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Because that stops people from posting on a new account...how?
  18. satash New Member

so are you saying that everyone who uses any software is part of this group? if so you are dead wrong.

maybe a small subset but the mass majority of people are just simple people who want to be able to do what they want without having to bother others.

as for pointing out that if they do go after all people using the software they will lose lots of money. well it the truth. No that don't mean they shouldn't go after those who are doing as you stated. by all means go to town on them. But leave the rest alone. A good way to do that would be to just build in software in to the game to let people do it without go 3rd party. that way the dervs can control what you can and can't do and then sure go after anyone using 3rd party to bypass the limits. The frame work is kinda there with mercs. just do that for all classes.
  19. Windance Augur

That is a fairly broad statement.

Most of those who were suspended were kids who wanted to play EQ on their terms. They've gone from single accounts LFG to a boxed group they can jump on and go be productive.

There are certainly bad actors who will do anything for money. I just have a hard time believing there is enough money in EQ / DB to form "a large criminal network". Maybe you need to tip off the FBI so they can get a jump on the criminal gangs. =)
  20. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I'm glad that Darkpaw has taken a stance to combat cheating and discourage its use, but there is no way the cheats are gone. They'll still be here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.