Composite Roar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Razorfall, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Razorfall Augur

It looks like the heal over time portion of composite roar is overwriting talisman of the enduring.

Was this always the case with these spells?
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yes I believe they always did this.
    minimind and Ssdar like this.
  3. Celephane Augur

Yes. I still TB it on raids though, since not all groups get hit with roar and those that don't likely want the regen.
    Maedhros likes this.
  4. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Was this intended though? Did lower level versions of the Roar also overwrite the shaman's regen buff and I never noticed? It seems an odd design choice to make a temporary buff overwrite a long duration buff cast by the same character. It just seems like the Composite Roar hp effect is meant to function more like a temporary heal over time than a flat regen (It is several times more hps per tick than enduring), so making it overwrite a regen buff doesn't make sense to me.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The Shaman's Progressive spells overwrite two spell lines in each era, the Proc spells and the Regen spells, that both components of the progressive spell were stronger but shorter lived than the regular proc & regen was the trade-off I assumed, the choice being intended by design.
    To be honest the regular regen is so weak in modern content as to be all but useless to melee who will be eating rampage fairly often no matter how amazing they are at positioning anyway.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Maedhros like this.
  6. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

it's always overwritten the regen line. if i remember correctly it did not always overwrite the 'talisman of the xxx' line, but it certainly does now.

honestly there's no point in using either the group regen or the talisman line 99% of the time.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Was disappointed when this happened but it's consistent with the many stacking issues of healing over time spells.

Even if they stacked, being stratified on ticks decreases their utility significantly. Wouldn't mind seeing HoTs and DoTs start ticking every second or half second like they do in a lot of games.
  8. malkill New Member

I never saw it overwrite regen until recently. honestly kinda annoying makes enduring useless
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Regen spells have steadily fallen behind where they need to be in order to be useful.
    For comparison at level 65 the regen spell would grant 58hp a tick, meaning that it would be 0.5% of player hp pool a tick for a player with 11600hp (around late PoP/early GoD era raid tank HP) so Regen spells were not all that great for raid geared players even back then but that's substantially better that what we have now, and it would have benefitted groupers more back then as the gap between group & raid gear was larger.

On Characters with 450K hps or more in ToV/CoV at 1202 a tick enduring is a little above 0.25% of player HP pool a tick around half of what regen was worth at 65 and with the gap being smaller between group geared & raid geared in modern EQ compared to the PoP era I used as an example above the group geared actually benefit substantially less than they used to from Regen too.

At least as far as I am concerned anything less than 1% of player hp pool per tick is useless. For regen to be worth using it would need to be around 4500 a tick or more in current era to even be worth it taking up a buffslot.
  10. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

On a tangential topic, I've noticed another stacking/overwriting issue with shaman spells. Talisman of Celerity overwrites the Symbol of Celerity from Unity of the Kromriff/Talisman of Ry'gorr. This is true even though both have the same effect listed (1: Increase attack speed by 60%) and Symbol lasts twice as long. Someone that understands the spell data and stacking better than me will have to explain that. This can be an issue when someone MGBs Talisman of Celerity for those that aren't high enough level to get the Symbol from Ry'gorr, but it then overwrites the Symbol on those that have that with a shorter duration buff that isn't any more haste.

On an even more tangential topic, someone will have to explain to me why the Cloak of Rimespurs that is triggered by the ranger buff Shout of the Arbor Stalker has one point less of DS (1800) than the Shared Cloak of Rimespurs (1801) that rangers can cast separately. This means that the Shared Cloak of Rimespurs that I have on me that only has 5 minutes left will block the fresh Cloak of Rimespurs from a ranger casting it now. (Why do rangers ever mgb the Shared spell separately anyway? I never do on my ranger.)

I just looked and the previous level version of the spells, Cloak of Needlebarbs and Shared Cloak of Needlebarbs had the Shared version lower in DS and AC than the one triggered by the Shout. That just all seems like a mess to me.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Any Shaman casting MGB Talisman of Celerity needs a swift & hard kick in the medicine bag.
    But if they do, they should do it prior to Ry'Gorr.
    non issue imho
    Szilent, Gyurika Godofwar and Kovachs like this.
  12. Jondalar Augur

It's been /bugged for years. Never had a response.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is expected as they have the same haste they will overwrite each other and the game doesn't check to see which one will last longer for blocking purposes.
  14. Kovachs Lorekeeper

I have regen buff blocked (it’s entirely useless this day in age and I don’t even buy the regen spells on my shaman box) shaman haste is blocked as well, waste of a buff slot.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Like they recently did with DSs. Bring up to reasonable values relative to current HP pools.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'd even go further & after scaling them up to more reasonable values in the current era do the same in earlier levels so there is better consistency across the game so TLP also see some improvements post-PoP at least.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Tatanka like this.
  17. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

honestly, IMO the values should be % of max HP / tick rather than a hard number. make it decay over the max level of the era it was released in... so right now the spell would be for 115, decay 20% of it's value for every level over 115 so it has to be upgraded to remain useful as expansions are released.

base the exact percentage off what would make it worthwhile in the group game... by design this would make the spell never get functionally more powerful as expansions proceed, but it would keep pace with HP inflation.

not sure what that would do to lag though, probably not good things...
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why have it decay? That means you end up creating spells for the sake of creating new spells not for making better spells. Do we really need a new spell each expansion that does the exact same thing the old spell does if it wasn't for decay?
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I agree with you, dev team likely would not for design reasons they want a new set of spells each level raise expansion.

Other way of handling it is to add a secondary effect to it that is a flat value so that each expansion you would want to upgrade to boost that secondary effect.
    Such as increase incoming heal effect for one example off the top of my head.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yep a secondary effect is a great way to handle it so the spell could be upgraded each expansion and have actual upgrade value and not just a degrading of the previous one due to new levels.
    Skuz likes this.