Random group loot is good. But random raid loot?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Green_Mage, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Green_Mage Augur

I'm not sure what randomized raid loot is going to offer; except a bunch of exploits that will only benefit the top guild before getting shut down. I'm guessing revamp zones might be a problem -- and a whole bunch of other things I can't even think of right now.

Problems will always be limited in scope for groupable gear. But problems with mass raid items can be much more damaging to the server economy if taken too far.

I think the reaction to the fear golems is overblown. I don't think it will ruin the economy if something like that happens again (it will have to be much worse). But I'm at a loss of what the benefit of random raid loot is.

I guess we might see some more tunare items? Maybe hardcore guilds competing with the top guild over open world spawns will get a boost...pretty weak stuff compared to all the risk of exploits and imbalance IMO.
  2. jeskola pheerie

Lots of Captain Krasnok loot?
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

You know what ruins an economy? 24 7 100 man bot crews farming gems in sirens grotto and buying krono as fast as they can get the plat.

A few handfuls of extra raid loot that is legitimately farmed by humans does nothing.
    Nykara2 likes this.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

The only fear, I may see for these servers, is not getting the gear they need. It doesn't seem to be that way though. It looks like you get the event/mob table and then random stuff on top of that. If that's the case, things should go fine. If that isn't the case.. my only fear would be them killing the appropriate level/content raid bosses/events and not getting what they need to progress.

Before I get jumped about a questioning attitude.. You're only in Classic, there' 20+ expansions to have go wrong.
  5. HighElfPlayer Journeyman

I didn't know that sirens grotto was in classic. I guess I learn something every day!
  6. Elabone Augur

How does randomized raid loot offer exploits?
    The "exploits" that happened so far had nothing to do with the intent of the server, and had all to do with DPG not having enough resources to check to make sure everything was done properly.
    Once the Issue was fixed, random raid loot has worked fine.
  7. Gnomie Denser than most

Randomized Raid loot makes the server unique and fun; we still don't know how things will be in Velious and Beyond, so just take a deep breath and let things play out.
  8. Zansobar Augur

Randomized raid loot also means some players may get to see loot that drops behind a keying wall where they never would have before.
    Hypatia, Wyre Wintermute and Yinla like this.
  9. Machen New Member

What keying wall are you talking about?

The last ~8 tlps had nearly 100% completion for all guilds in kunark, velious, luclin and pop.

The keying takes a little work but no one is being prevented from seeing content because of it.
  10. Numiko Augur

Maybe random raid loot will make VP actually worth doing. The normal loot dropped there is mostly junk.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I assume you just mean the guilds that tracked their progress and I am sure there are other guilds who raided who did not see everything.
    Tweakfour17 and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  12. Elabone Augur

Progress can be tracked even for guilds that do not track, since serverwides exist.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure you do have an idea of what guilds are getting kills that are not on tracking sites but that wasn’t my point which was you can’t say for sure that all guilds who wanted to complete the early expansions actually did so and did it in era.
  14. Machen New Member

I was the guy who ran the kill board for Phinigel for a lot of those eras. I tracked ALL the guilds that were raiding current content or expansion behind content. I tracked guilds that killed stuff ~6 months after the expansion was over. If I saw a systemwide, I tracked it. I left my character logged in close to 24/7 to make sure I didn't miss many, too.

To say 100% completed everything in era is an exaggeration, but not by much. Guilds that raided 1 night a week finished both luclin and pop in era.

Kunark was a little lower just because some of these guilds still weren't 60 by the end of it. That was nearly 6 months of classic/kunark for Phinny. By the end of velious they had caught up and got all content down.

And content has only gotten easier since then.

I know the more recent kill boards have tended to only post user submitted data, and not always all of that. That's not the way it used to be done.
  15. nagash101 Augur

Hit Hate last night and killed some minis. Awesome randomized loot on them again, not as good as before but still fun lootz.