Charming rogue NPCs in MM

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Darktide, May 31, 2021.

1. Darktide Elder

Was in Mistmoore trying to charm some rogue NPCs and received a red text after each attempt stating the NPC cannot be charmed.

In particular, gypsy musician, dancer and ambassador*.

Is there a reason this is the case? I don't recall this ever happening before.

This is on mischief btw

Curious if anyone else has noticed this with other rogue NPCs in other zones. I haven't tried everywhere yet.
  2. modsiw Augur

A while back, to combat enchanters pulling shenanigans by kidnapping named npcs, most named npcs are no longer charmable. For example: charming chancellor in lake of ill omen, gating in zone, and then killing it.
  3. Magician9001 Augur

Karen's on the forums cried and made it so you can't charm mobs that are flagged as "rare"

Also this change had nothing to do with charm/gating. That was a completely different nerf.

They changed this because people were charming a really OP named in Howling Stones.
  4. Darktide Elder

Quest items drop from the musician(lambent/crafted bp) and dancer(mage epic), but I don't believe the ambassador drops any quest related items or specific loot at all.

The only commonality I can find is that rogue NPCs are used to dish out high damage from backstabs, and this is prevented by doing this.
  5. Hythos Augur

The Rogue mercenaries in Wakening Lands are L35ish and BS for 600's;
    I'm just getting to a level to where I can try charming them (in MM), so I'll give 'em a poke.
    I'll also check on another TLP & also on live to see if there's anything different.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

There is another named in MM that just destroys things and, best of all, isn't Kos. You can charm it and not worry about charm breaks. I think it's Eirod Haerod but I don't recall. Is she still charmable?
  7. Ash W. New Member

I think she is the one they nerfed the charm on specifically, vaguely recall forum complaints lol
  8. Gnothappening Augur

She is no longer there on TLPs until several expansions in.

Also, you still had to worry about charm breaks because she would kill you when it broke. The thing was, she would slay so fast and so many mobs that you could just die every time charm faded and still make huge exp gains.
    Accipiter likes this.