Haven't played since Omens

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MaTTiMeX, May 19, 2021.

1. MaTTiMeX New Member

Hello everyone!

I am coming back to Everquest for the first time really since Omens of War released many moons ago. I attempted awhile back with a friend briefly but it didn't stick with them and then real life got in the way. This time around I have the time to commit and I really want to relive some of the nostalgia I hold for this game even to this day.

That being said, I am wondering which of the two servers being opened next week would be better for me to roll on and I am honestly taking class recommendations. In my previous life I mained a Beastlord through Luclin to Omens. I am hoping for something capable of soloing when I don't have the patience for a group and want the quiet, but hopefully still be wanted for group play sometimes.

Thank you for any input you guys can give on these questions and I look forward to see people in game come next week!
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

The 2 servers are identical, go to the guild recruitment section and see if any playtime or loot distribution models appeal to you. Beasts won't be in for a few months after launch (tied to Luclin) and Zerkers for about a year (tied to GoD).
    MaTTiMeX likes this.
  3. MaTTiMeX New Member

I knew that Beasts wouldn't be, was just adding that in incase people wanted to know what I played in the past. I'm not sure if i'll dive into raiding but I appreciate the recommendation there!
  4. Pinbin Journeyman

The servers are identical, so either works. I'd imagine Thornblade will have lower population, so that would probably be better to start on. People are also saying the two servers will eventually be merged.

If you are used to a pet class you could play a Necro, or a Mage.
    MaTTiMeX likes this.
  5. MaTTiMeX New Member

I had been considering Necro due to them being kings of soloing but I don't recall if they were wanted in groups often or is it not too much of an issue in the TLP?
  6. Pinbin Journeyman

People have strong opinions on that. They certainly aren't the most efficient DPS in groups, but in practice it seems like rejecting a dps based on class is rarer than you hear about. If you want a class that will almost never be turned away from a group play a Shaman, Enchanter, or Cleric.
  7. Pinbin Journeyman

Just wanted to add, while I haven't played those classes much, I have heard that both Shaman's and Enchanters CAN solo, not so much Clerics though.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Me too, but you never know. It might be the opposite if a flood of people go to Thornblade to beat the crowd.
  9. Machen New Member

You need to know that solo xp is not considered a viable option by most any more due to a massive xp bonus given to full groups. So even the solo classes will get much faster xp in a full group now. You can still solo, and gain faster xp than you could in 1999, but groups will be leveling 2-3x faster.

And, yeah, necros aren't highly desired in groups because mobs tend to die much too fast.
  10. MaTTiMeX New Member

Shaman is seeming like a good bet then for me thus far. The option to solo with them when I just don't want to group and I recall them being great for buffs/debuffs and heals later on in groups if i'm not mistaken?
  11. Machen New Member

Yep. They are a great class and highly desired at many points.
  12. MaTTiMeX New Member

I was thinking about Enc because I remember people making bank sitting in PoK just doing KEI buffs all day. Lol
  13. Ultrazen Augur

Troll Shammie is a great TLP class...the troll regen is fantastic, both early on and later on for cani. You can actually solo really well if need be, but I wouldn't do it much on a TLP if I were you. The ONLY downside to a shammie, is that it is a monstrous pain in the rear to play in a raid. You will be absolutely spammed with buff requests, and constantly buffing/cani, until your hands fall off.

Origin takes care of the other huge problem, no gate/port. If you go troll, you start near enough to tunnel to make your life pretty easy.
  14. Namolin New Member

I've played necro on a few TLP's during classic and if you stick to undead zones you should have no problems getting a group because of charm undead and the undead nukes. Befallen, Unrest, Lguk will take you to 50. People are still more likely to grab a mage though if one is available but it has never really been a problem.
  15. brickz Augur

Necros are fine in groups. Most of the zones people congregate in during classic/kunark have undead to charm and if they don't you still have good poison dots and ghetto mez with screaming terror. By the time people start murdering everything before you can even apply your dots you should have friends/guild that will take you anyway
  16. Vaile Journeyman

I stopped playing originally around GoD maybe, came back for a bit on corinav (so almost 2 years ago maybe), and am now coming back for the new servers too. Enchanters can def solo and charm soloing is pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Chanter has always been my fav class and they are really fun in a group that pushes you (when you want an extra challenge).

I was dead set on chanter again this time around, but the last couple of days I’ve been really considering cleric or bard for a change as I’ve never played either one. Like you I like to solo here and there if I don’t have time or feel like being in a group, but I feel like I’m going to be wanting to group more often this time around (esp with previously mentioned xp bonus). I was planning on two boxing a chanter/cleric but I’ve never multiboxed before, and have been trying it a little bit on the test server, and I’m not sure I’m liking it too much lol (part of the reason I’m thinking I’m going to group a lot more this time around, then wouldn’t have to try and split my focus and could just enjoy whatever class I’m on).
  17. Lineater Augur

In my experiences groups looking for DPS don't really care which class it is.
    MaTTiMeX likes this.
  18. MaTTiMeX New Member

I don't want to pay for 2 subs to two box, let alone having a second PC available currently to even bother with it to be honest. I was looking at Bard seems conflicting, some say they solo great, others say not, some say they are hard to play and boring in groups apart from being a puller due to crappy melee. But then again.. would be fun to be The Flash.. Gotta go fast! Lol
  19. MaTTiMeX New Member

Thats good to hear.
  20. Xhartor Augur

If a group is looking for DPS the first class they are looking for is an Enchanter. The extra charm pet is a huge DPS boost. Also enchanters don't have creature type restrictions.

If your were considering a melee class, Monk's and SK can also solo.
    Monk are the best non-charm DPS class in EQ, if they aren't the top, they are always competitive. The just understand you will be expected to pull often.
    SK are the kings of group tanking, once you get Luclin their soloing gets a huge boost. They do have tank gear dependency, and in some expansion have a limited raid role.