Returning Player, new to boxing, tips?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vaile, May 16, 2021.

1. Vaile Journeyman

Hey all, I've not played since a bit into Corinav (I think about halfway through Kunark), and before that not since original release of I believe GoD (can't remember exactly). I've never dual boxed and am looking to try it on Thornblade. I'm leaning towards enc/clr as chanter has always been my fav class, and I usually enjoy healing in most games. I Thought about enc/dru but if I try doing this in groups I'm afraid until I'm really used to it druid heals for the group may not be quite strong enough to keep up with me splitting my attention, and for some reason I'm just feeling a cleric this time around (DE enc and clr to be precise).

That little bit of side info being said, does anyone have any tips for returning players or others who may be trying dual boxing for the first time that maybe we haven't thought of yet or might have missed on other similar posts? I've already started trying to test some of the (basic) macros I've seen in other threads to get used to on the cleric (using the test server). I'm ordering one of the plug in num pads for my laptop box, and tried to start working on a UI layout I like (holy crap I forgot how much work that is with all the different chat options needing to go through and adjust :confused: ).

Any tips / tricks that maybe have been overlooked or someone might not think of that anyone has would be great, any oddball macros anyone has that people may not normally think of, or some basic ones that are easy to forget / overlook would be great (i've got follow and some of the /target enchanter /cast heal).

Sorry for the bit of a long rambling post, but any tips/tricks would be much appreciated :), Thanks.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

If both your PCs are on the same wifi and you don't use a VPN then don't smash keys on both keyboards at once or you'll "truebox" yourself and both accounts will disconnect.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  3. Pikallo Augur

Enc / Clr isn't super complicated. You'll obviously want the enchanter on the primary PC as the point character and the Clr as the 2nd box.

Also assuming that you are charming, you will want to have an audio trigger for charm breaks.

Mainly just play the enchanter, and toss a heal / nuke / stun from the 2nd pc as needed.
  4. Numiko Augur

Personally I would pick the druid over the cleric, Snare and SoW are invaluable when charming early on, have the druid snare the mob with a 14 minute snare and then you charm it, keep SoW up on you and it makes re-charming 100X easier when it breaks.

Druid can also charm animals for extra DPS.

While druid heals and buffs maybe weaker the advances in player power vs classic mobs over the years means the clerics big heal bombs are rarely needed except of raid targets.

Druid HP buffs also add mana regen later on which is handy as well thinking long term.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  5. Vaile Journeyman

Oh crap, maybe I need to re-think this then b/c I've got a bad feeling I'll be maybe spamming a key on one box (in case of fizzle or something) while trying to cast something else on my main computer. Probably a dumb question but I'm assuming one being wired and the other wireless that'll still be a concern, since it's still running through the same router w/o vpn?
  6. Sycopata Elder

Sems extrange you get banned if you follow the rules, push buttons in 2 computers no brake the rule, this is why is true box, if you cant push buttons in 2 computer is asket NObox
  7. Tweakfour17 Augur

Some people have luck no getting disconnected if the specific key they are spamming is different, for me any spam will disconnect, but spamming a key on 1 computer and spamming the mouse clicks doesn't so who knows.
    Its spamming, not just casually pushing keys.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

It's DBG's buggy TrueBox implementation.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  9. Bardy McFly Augur

I ran into the disconnect issue early on. It's pretty easy to work around, as you should not need to be rapidly mashing keys when you box. Play your "main" for the most part, just hitting a key on the keyboard of the box for a heal or nuke or whatever as needed. You can either glance at the other screen to make sure it didn't fizzle or you can set up an audio trigger for fizzle and not even look at the other screen at all.
  10. RhekEQ New Member

Get a numpad to control your box cleric. You shouldn't have to use the mouse on that computer very much Set up some easy macros (Add /pause as needed)

- Autofollow macro: put /stand as the first line, then /target your enchanter and /follow
    - For pet breaks you can have a macro to /assist your enchanter and then cast a stun (or a heal)
    - Set a few easy macros so you can easily /target and heal either your main, your pet, or the groups main tank.
    - Add /sit to the end of macros as needed. I usually use a separate key to sit
    - To avoid fizzles, you can add a short pause to your macro then /cast the spell a 2nd time

The biggest thing is setting audio triggers for charm breaks. Ideally you just have one key to hit on both chars that will get the pet under control and re-charmed. Good luck! True-boxing gets a lot easier with practice!