Idea for new feature, not sure where it goes... copy hotbar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not sure if there's a better place to put this.

Idea: A command line feature to allow copying of hotbars.

It seems I am quite often making a new hotbar which is identical to another page on that same hotbar, but with just one or two of the keys set to something different. It would be nice to be able to just issue a command, get the copy made, and then just change what I want. One upside is, I don't think this would take much dev time at all.

Note: While typing this, it occurred to me, it might be possible to do this now, manually editing the ini files (obviously, not through in-game means) to make the copy, and then making the changes in-game. I may poke around with that, and if anyone has some good advice for how to do this, feel free to post it.

Other than that, what do people think of adding this feature?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Kelset like this.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would love it.

I would also love a feature to allow sending a hotkey, hotbar, or entire hotkey sets in-game. :)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

I think it's use is situational enough not to warrant a UI for this. However, you are on the right track with editing the INI file. After editing the INI file you will have to reload the UI at a minimum. You may have to zone or camp out in order for the changes to take effect.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, I didn't ask about a UI change to support it. Just a command line option, something like /copybar W-X Y-Z, where it's copy bar W, page X to bar Y, page Z.

For editing the INIs manually, yep, I assumed out of game, or at least having to camp/zone after a change. But I'm not sure about the details... is it just a really obvious edit, or are there details which might screw everything up? Hoping to hear from someone who's done it, or maybe I'll just mess with it tonight when I have time.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The problem with sending hotkeys, bars or sets to others is that now you're involving a whole bunch of other information.

When I copy a bar, it just has to copy the key for an AA, a macro, a spellgem, or an item (I think that's everything). When sent to another, do they have that AA? That macro? That spell? You see where I'm going with this. Sending to another player opens up a whole new kettle of fish.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Pretty obvious, IMO. Find your Character_server.ini file. The first hotbar will be the [HotButtons] section, the second will be [HotButtons2] and so on. Copy the section for the hotbar you want to duplicate, copy it to a new section (or replace one that exists), and you're done.
    CatsPaws and Tatanka like this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Awesome, will try it tonight :)