A new server with the same old class meta isn't good enough

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Falafel, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You might not consider the ability to solo well or easily relevant, I do, and I think it is important to bear it in mind when considering class balance whether you like it or not - so we will just have to agree to disagree on that point, your emotional spleen-venting in this post I will not address, that's your problem.
  2. Branntick Augur

Honestly, how much dev time would it really take to hit Monk damage through level 80 to bring them down to where they belong? The innate melee damage AAs are prime real estate for balancing meleequest, given that they are the primary driver of a lot of imbalance we experience.

Changing the way the percentages are to be more backloaded instead of frontloaded as they currently are would go a long way, and it wouldn't affect live in any meaningful way.
  3. Barder-mangler Augur

Tbh OP is not wrong, and it seems like about 5% of these types of threads produce results, so carry on! I think many of the changes they implement are based on community feedback, even if it takes years to happen lol. Necro dot revamp was only like 8 years in the making? But things do change.
  4. Barder-mangler Augur

5. Glowerss Augur

TBH this thread feels born of ignorance.

Outside of mages (who suffer from some real fundamental problems in those eras that has nothing to do with dmg), caster dps is either competitive or favored from Classic to PoP. The sole exception really is PoSky which is a hateful zone anyway.

The only real "meleequest" era is honestly the 70s, from OoW to PoR, and the reason it's a meleequestland has absolutely nothing to do with melee being overtuned and everything to do with everything being stupidly resistant.

Casters can and do quite frequently top the parses from Classic to PoP, and if they're not it's a PEBCAK issue and not a balancing issue.
    Gheed and Lejaun like this.
  6. Branntick Augur

That's only 1/3 of the points OP brought up.

Regardless of the cause, 70s era is an entire 8 month block of a TLP life cycle, and the level of attrition experienced is in no doubt caused by the invalidation of a number of classes.

Monks bursting for 6k dps (or more) in PoR is kind of ridiculous any way you slice it.

Melee are both overtuned, and the content is too resistant.
  7. Nicorus Elder

Who prefers casters in raids from classic to pop? That is insane even if there are some fights where they are competitive or slightly edge out melee they generally do terrible whole raid damage and velious and luclin are both heavy trash clearing xpacs. It isn’t good if your wiz wins a parse on a boss by 15% but spends the entire trash clear medding
  8. taliefer Augur

wizards and necros do quite well on VT trash clears if you do it the "right way" ie multiple mobs in camp at once so the wizards can ae and the necros can dot multiple mobs
    Skuz and Kobra like this.
  9. taliefer Augur

Monks are the outlier. I dont dispute that the entire TLP experience could use a balance passover, but thats unlikely to happen.

take monks out of the equation most of the time, and the gap between classes is much closer. also I've noticed on TLPs that fully debuffing resists is a lost art form, which certainly is part of why casters struggle.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. taliefer Augur

Dont you talk about PoSKY that way!
  11. Glowerss Augur

I would like to remind sir that Mind Wrack is one of the most overpowered spells ever in VT and that if your Wizards and Necros are struggling to do well on the overall parse it's a player issue either on behalf of the raid leader for not properly making groups, or on the casters for not properly utilizing their abilities.

Wizards and Necros can also do fine on the overall parse in NToV provided they have mana robe and are willing to put some effort in.

That said, the majority of people are not willing to put in the effort because it's both Trash and NToV. It's much easier to go "Eh I'm a caster we don't do gud overall dps" and afk their way through trash.
    Skuz and Kobra like this.
  12. Jimmy2times Elder

I am hoping for some type of locked server. maybe level 75 locked? something around there. I guess we will see whenever they decide to announce. I know some folks don't like locked servers but some do and I am one of them.
  13. Fudly Elder

The reason you see dot classes now is due to the recent killstealing change to dots. Dots used to work like everything else for determining who got the kill - damage dealt, but now, dots only have to tick once to get credit for dealing the full duration of the dot's damage, even if the mob would die long before being able to deal that damage.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Fudly Elder

That's quite the dependency given that most guilds only see one of those the entire kunark expansion.
  15. NoMoreTLPs Journeyman

how would people keep their poverty level wages/income from krono farming if they didn't start over on new TLPs?
  16. NoMoreTLPs Journeyman

We have a winner!
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

The problem is this is a winner for the people who don't want a new TLP, not DBG. The financial incentive for DBG is to continue to release them since they continue to make money.
  18. NoMoreTLPs Journeyman

True, its a vicious cycle with diminishing returns... which is why I finally escaped the TLP treadmill, and am trying to save other souls from a dark fate!
  19. Machen New Member

At some point, the financial incentive will move toward DPG supporting established servers and maintaining player base for longer. At least, that's my hope. For all the people who seem to love classic for the 10th time in a row, at some point it has to get boring right?
    code-zero likes this.
  20. Gheed Is not reading your response

Wizards dominate parses if they are competent and care about playing their class well. Mind wrack also helps a ton, the spell is stupid OP. Necro also does quite well if they know how to play their class.

Everybody wants their class to be the best. If monk got nerfed big and then another class started consistently doing great with little effort there would be threads like this still, just about another class.

Same thing happens in WoW. They do balance patches and it just ends up being another class getting complained about for being too OP. You are misguided if you think classes will not be better and preferred over other classes in a MMO. It will never be equal, play what you enjoy. If the thing you care about is being at the top of the parse then the solution is pick a different class; not beg for other classes to be nerfed.