Recover 15+ year old account

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ricky Free, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Ricky Free New Member

I am trying to recover an account that probably hasn't been logged into in around 15 years. I am not sure if I remember the user name correctly, though I am certain I know it fairly close. When I type what I thought it was into the automated password change box, it tells me no account exists with that name though when I tried to create a new account with that same name, it told me it was already taken.

Anyways, I have submitted a ticket with what information I do have. But with not being sure of the username, and I don't know what email was tied to the account, or the credit card info that was on the account, what are my prospects of being able to access this account again? I know the character name, class, race on the account and what server it was on (which no longer exists). Would an account inactive this long even still exist? Can support find an account just by character name?

What are my chances here?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, it would still exist. The only wipes they did were under level 10 characters.

The server you used to play on is still there. It just merged. Google EQ server merge and the help section shows which merged with what.

You are most likely not remembering the right name, it could be off by on letter or it could have had an X put at the end of the name during one of those server merges. That is what they did if two characters on the servers being merged had the same name, one of them gets an X and it would have been the one not logged into for a long time.

You will just have to wait and see what the customer support asks. While many hundreds of returning players come here and ask the same questions I would say less than 10 ever come back and post if it was successful or not.
    Ricky Free likes this.
  3. Ricky Free New Member

Thank you for the comment. I guess my main concern is that I have limited information about the account and was wondering if I could end up just being refused access because of this.

I actually just tried logging into the account with what I think the user/pw would be from the EQ launcher instead of the here on the website and it told me the account was banned due to a chargeback. I think this may complicate matters but it seems I have at least correctly recalled the username.
  4. Leerah Augur

Did you give the account to someone for safekeeping? On which server? I have adopted quite a few orphans from Quellious, mostly military men.
  5. Leerah Augur

As to your chances, it depends which faction is in control of Customer Service and how busy they are. Sometimes, they are thrilled to help you recover an account. Mostly, they're not. And BTW, there is no phone number anymore. Petition from another account. If you start a new character now, and pay for it this month, you get a free level 85 toon, dressed and with spells.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

there is no free character - that info is wrong. It was a pop up from last year's anniversary that was taken down soon after it was discovered.

He got a chargeback. The outlook is not good.

Perhaps when he stopped playing years ago he just stopped the payment thru the credit card instead of cancelling in game or some other issue happened where the bank denied charges resulting in the chargeback
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217994497-What-is-a-chargeback-
    Leerah likes this.
  7. Ricky Free New Member

It's actually kind of the opposite. It was originally a friend's account but he stopped playing after a short period of time and I took it over. I honestly can't remember what the situation was with the payment at this point. It's possible that he used his parent's credit card to make the original subscription without their permission. We were kids so it's hard to remember exactly what shenanigans went on with this account.

I think there was at least one friend that had access to the account after I quit. I don't think he ever bought a subscription for it but it's not outside the realm of possibility that he did a similar thing and one of his parents put in a chargeback.

I'd just love to see my character again. It would suck to have it rot away forever inaccessible because of murky account details that can't be sorted out. I'd be happy to buy a sub for it now. I guess I understand it but it almost seems silly to hold the ownership of an account that hasn't been accessed in over a decade as sacrosanct.

Hell, the main character on it is only in his 50s and isn't particularly well geared. Just has sentimental value for me.
    Leerah likes this.
  8. xaga Elder

alas,

i have tried this on my Original account -- but they will want the OG credit card info usually..... which yeah i am sure you have still saved!
  9. Leerah Augur

One man I know had put down a smart answer to his secret question. CS helped him guess it. He was a boy at the time and wrote "secret question" as his response.

When you contact CS (they'll be busy this time of year,) do mention that you will gladly resubscribe just to see your youth again.

You might be able to get it just by paying for the chargeback.
  10. Leerah Augur

Ah right about the lack of HCs.
    I did a chargeback once over an unjust banning. A few years later, I gave them back their money and got her unbanned.

11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Interesting. I just assumed that a banning due to a chargeback was set in stone. Glad I was wrong.
  12. Ricky Free New Member

I received a response saying that accounts that have been banned due a chargeback that are not resolved in a certain time frame are permanently closed and all personal information has been purged. The account is considered unrecoverable.

I have asked if there are any possible avenues of recovery of, if not the account, at least the character I am interested in, including paying off the chargeback or making a new sub. I will report back my results for those interested for future reference.
    Leerah likes this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sorry to hear of this Ricky Free. We all understand how old characters hold a special place. And thank you for the followup.
  14. Bandeko New Member

Longshot, but they recovered an account that I had way back when by the CD keys that I still had because I’m a pack rat...
  15. Ricky Free New Member

After further correspondence, it has been confirmed the account is permanently closed and the characters deleted. Completely unrecoverable. Chargeback + enough time = permanent deletion.

:(
  16. Jennre Band Leader

Chargeback is always a perma-ban.
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. As Leerah mentioned above and other posters have too - although very rarely - you can sometimes recover a chargeback banned account.

They even say so on the chargeback info in help:

"Any linked accounts may be banned/suspended as well until the dispute has been resolved."
    "How can I get my account back?"

And much more here
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217994497-What-is-a-chargeback-
    Leerah and Nennius like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Rare it may be. Possible it is.
  19. Leerah Augur

Mine was at least 3 years, possibly 4. IME, CS who tell you "No, they were deleted" are lazy liars with bad attitudes.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Have to agree with you here. If CS told you your account was deleted permanently they are either outright lying, or don't understand how the system works and gave you an answer that would send you packing.

To OP: Open a new ticket and pursue your account....it's yours. Go get it.
    Leerah likes this.