[Mangler], Worst experience I've had in 20 years

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bentbard, Mar 11, 2021.

1. taliefer Augur

reading his post was the first time I have ever actually thought "OK Boomer"
    Machen, Genoane and Accipiter like this.
  2. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

[IMG]
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I remember this. There were definitely posts on the forums about it. People were suggesting using different keys for different boxes since it seemed to matter which key you pressed more than what that key did. Although to be fair, that was all conjecture, we don't know what criteria they were using to DC people. But they were definitely DC'ing people based on similar keypresses.
  4. Fluid Augur

Everything I said can be confirmed by a simple google search. If you are to lazy to look it up, that's on you. If the best you can do is an Ad Hominem attack, well that means you are using a logical fallacy which pretty much means you lost. Ditto for taLIEfer.

Truebox was conceived as a fix for the first 2-4 TLP servers like 'The Sleeper'<?>. The first 2-4 TLP servers were roughly equivalent to what Rizlona is today. Boxing was perceived as a huge problem by more people then not. This is not to say it was the only problem that needed to evolve TLP play, things like Focus items worked day one and had to be taken out.

Look, you guys weren't there, you are 100% going on a lack of knowledge and refusal to even do a simple google search. Your opinions come from ignorance and lack of information coupled with terminal laziness. I'd be you didn't even follow the links I provided to Daybreak's official post in the forums. Willful ignorance and wishful thinking, insults. Yeah, I'm a Boomer and your Cancel Culture. I'll take that. You are living in a different reality of your own.
  5. MonsterAnimal New Member

A reason I think a lot of people box, and a big reason that I box is that when you spend a long time camping a specific item and you're in a pickup group and someone else in the group wins said item....No one likes that feeling. So by 6boxing you are guaranteeing that you're going to get what you want if you invest the time.

I know we've all had that moment in a PUG where a class rolls on an item they can use and they win it when it would have been a huge upgrade for your character. It's times that those that drive a lot of people towards boxing IMO.
  6. Machen New Member

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

And edit to add -- lest you throw "history" at me, I was there and actually played on those servers and even know their names.
    jeskola likes this.
  7. taliefer Augur

dude. what are the taxes like in this alternate universe you live in? I may wanna join you. cause you clearly have very little idea of what you are talking about
    jeskola likes this.
  8. Hydralite New Member

I just have to agree with Bentbard. I played EQ since beta and the boxing servers just become single player games. If you wanto play with others just stay the hell away=)
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Sorry you feel attacked. You are misremembering. The Truebox key spamming disconnects were well after Phinny launched. We were in Luclin when a patch made the DC problem worse for some people.
  10. Bentbard Journeyman

Surprised this thread is still going sort of, so I'll shall give you all an update!

Let me start by saying I was seconds away from hitting the "F" it button. Frankly, every time I play the game right now I contemplate quitting because I enjoy the game, but literally can hardly play it.

I joined a new guild, they are pretty helpful for certain. I've managed to get some flags, and difficult quests done. I still have a difficult time finding any groups simply for getting XP, and I do have to spend most of my time waiting around for someone to come help me with anything important. However, I've managed to get about 2-3 groups in the last few days (mind you I was advertising in LFG for about 14 hours, the groups lasted a total of ~2 hours, which means it takes me about ~7x the length of my group time just looking for one).

Here's what I've learned:
    My new guild has about half the members boxing 4-6 characters. This truebox setup is definitely an issue, it didn't stop anyone from boxing. They all use a program to control multiple machines with a SINGLE mouse and keyboard. So it's effectively a boxing program, but with a little more work involved (but honestly, as a proficient boxer myself, after learning about this...it's not much work at all).

The main reason I can't get a group is that it seems like there is far more people boxing, than there is people playing solo. Now frankly I'm not going to boot up, purchase, or setup 5 other physical or virtual boxes to player a 22 year old game. That's just silly, and you're silly if you're doing that. No seriously, what kind of sweaty over the top crap is that.

As a long time veteran, returning to this game, this is so painfully obvious that Truebox is a failure. The restriction might as well be adjusted or lifted entirely. And if I could box on this server I would, because I'm constantly beholden to others time or whim, which the population just isn't there to handle that. I can log on, but I cannot do much of anything, so there really is no point. 15 years ago, sure, 2021, definitely not going to happen. I'll stick with it for a bit longer, but it is still very disappointing.
  11. Bentbard Journeyman

12. Machen New Member

This is still either a guild issue or a you issue, not a server issue. Although I do sympathize that people are breaking the server ruleset and it impacts you.

I play on Rizlona were boxing is unrestricted. We have a number of single toon players. They get groups normally within minutes of coming online and asking. Because we as a guild prioritize including and helping each other. Not everyone in the guild immediately will drop a box but enough do that they never have a problem getting xp, and generally are able to get help getting things done. Some of our single toon players were among the first to get the Emp+VT key done, because they had group support all through the keying. It'll be the same for pop flagging and every other expansion flagging, because we prioritize all our members getting through.

My suggestion. If your guild isn't giving you this, look for one that will.
    Accipiter, Iyacc and Kobra like this.
  13. Kobra Augur

This is my experience on Rizlona. I am not in your guild but mine is the same way.

I login and within 5 minutes can get into a guild exp group. I play a single box and was the first person in my guild to get their VT shards and emp key done also.

I never feel like I am at a disadvantage by playing a single character.

OP, I will let you in on the secret to never sitting lfg again. When you log on be the guy who organizes stuff. If you log on and send tells to people its amazing how everyone else is waiting for someone to organize things. And when you do show up to the group, put in 100% effort. Don't be the guy who has to be carried. Nobody likes carrying dead weight.
  14. Fluid Augur

Now there you go again.<sigh> This is the reason why people don't like you guys and want a server w/o you. Lack of information, morality and personal attacks are all you got. Morality should not be subjective, it should be objective. You live in a reality only shared by others with the same self indulgent subjective view of 'What I want is right.' I've provided server names, links to official Daybreak posts, dates, et cetera and all you can do is drop down to personal insults.

While I don't think a one person per account server would be successful because the reasons servers lose population go beyond forced grouping and I wouldn't play the server if it was implemented, I see no reason why there shouldn't be one. This puts me at odds with narrow minded people who think their way or the highway. Gawd some people are narrow minded and controlling.
  15. KrakenReality Augur

That's alot more work than boxing. I used to live that life putting together groups, but man never going back to that.
  16. Machen New Member

Lol. You chide me for personal attacks with a post entirely filled with nothing but a personal attacks.

My saying that you have no clue what you are talking about is not a personal attack by the way, it is an attack against your argument. Which remains devoid of truth.
  17. Kobra Augur

True, but I was addressing the OP's point that hes sitting around LFG for hours. That has never been a good way to get a group.
  18. Kadazic New Member

You mentioned that you have gotten groups for progression and other quests like that but havent gotten groups for xp.

I wonder if its really more a result of where the server is at. I play on Mangler and almost no one in my guild ever grinds xp. Not everyone is maxed but almost everyone is close enough that xp grinds are a thing of the past. The only grouping we do is progression, off night raids, or other quests.
  19. Fluid Augur

A quick look at my post shows I cited dates, server names, and linked to a Daybreak post on the topic where as you cite zero, nada, zip. Just another lazy insult w/o content or merit. I've also used screen shots of at least two of my characters showing creation dates in 1999. I have switched names, but I make all of my posts under one of two pseudonyms.

A quick look at your profile shows "Member since 2012". Since this is about the discussion that went on following the introduction of TLP servers in 2006, your statement that you played on the all the servers is suspect. Perhaps your were under a different name?

Further, anyone that cares to look or has a short term memory knows I have been a vocal advocate for Rizlona to be created since before it had a name and currently.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ne-or-rizlona-for-the-long-haul.272273/page-3
    "Subjectively, not objectively, Riz gives players with multiple accounts a better deal because no truebox. I find it a major PIA to bring out another computer just to box. TLP means 1) You are a paying customer so you don't have to associate with non committed 2) Riz means you don't have to cheat to box. 3) It's a great time if you like to play with like minded people."

Yet when I posted I would like to transfer a character from Agnarr to Rizlona you chided me telling me ~to stay off the server. Now for someone who has interacted with you dozens of times in this forum, you apparently didn't even remember my name or my posts. I'd like to get a link to your response, but I think Dreamweaver deleted it for violating forum standards. We are probably pretty close to that yet again.

Pointless for me to continue here, not because I am wrong, not because I haven't been adding links and content that is demonstrably true, not that people shouldn't be allowed to have a server free of boxers, just that people are in denial to the point where they say links to posts on the topic aren't proof that it was a topic.

The level of denial is absolutely incredible. A post from 2015 in these forums https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/will-you-be-boxing-poll.220406/page-2
    "Boxing ruined EQ to begin with. I'm surprised DB is allowing it. No boxing is why Project1999 has 1000+ players on all of the time."

Yet some people continue to say ~never happened. Incredible.
  20. Xeris Augur

Imagine being so insecure in yourself that you have to constantly qualify your posts with talking about how competent you are at boxing, and in the same post also saying how stupid people who have multiple computers to box are.

"Ya I'm really good at boxing but I'm not a loser so I'm not going to." You just sound like an unpleasant person to be around based on how you just mention how good you are at stuff unprompted and summarily insult everyone who boxes. It's honestly shocking that people don't want to play with you :p