Free up server memory.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kaenneth, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

No one uses both INT and WIS, combine them into one 'Mind' stat, and just calculate mana/skills/etc from that; give every piece of gear/buff/etc that has INT and/or WIS (and hINT/hWIS) the higher of the two stats it has.

Do the same with DEX/AGI (and hDEX/hAGI) and STR/END/(hSTR/hEND) and the space PCs/NPCs/Items/Spells take would drop enough to add other useful features.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Stat squish? That sounds like fun. Let's do it.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

World of Warcraft can pull stuff off like this because they have a staff of in the hundreds.

Everquest barely has a handful. Every single encounter in the game would have to be rebalanced to work with the changes you are suggesting. It isn't feasible.

But it sounds like fun, let's do it anyway.
    minimind and Duder like this.
  4. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Never played WoW; I was thinking of the Flowing Thought effects, etc. becoming stats.
  5. Visitor Augur

Int/Wis, can mostly do that, but Dex/Agi do different things. Strength and Stamina are also quite different
    minimind likes this.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could remove endurance from caster gear, I don't think anyone would complain about that...:p
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, because that'll totally free up tons of server memory, LOL
    code-zero, Zynt and Jumbur like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

For each pair of stats they squish or for each stat the remove they will gain 40bit(8bit for normal and 32bit? for heroic). That is several megabytes in total!! :p
    Then they don't have to upgrade that old 486 they use as server...

Now that we are talking about stats... Does heroic charisma actually do anything? :confused:

TBH, improving on Dragons Hoard is probably a better idea. The purpose is to minimize the character footprint that needs to be cached.
    In theory, moving all banked items to dragons hoard should improve zoning times, at the cost of us not being able to use "item search" unless we hug the bank-npc in a city. Now if only they would give us all a 1000 slots of dragons hoard storage for free...:rolleyes:

or just reimplement the bank and (non-placed) housing storage with "dragons hoard" tech and limit the "search" button a bit...

I don't think a lot of players really need more bank-space though, but general optimizations would probably give us some subtle improvements...
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I don't have CoV, so can't comment on Dragon's Hoard from personal experience, but can say that it doesn't sound like anything I care about at all.

I like the storage situation with housing just fine. All my chars can get to everything. Once you start keeping everything in the bank, then only that char can access it. Most of the stuff I packrat doesn't do anything for my main. He's already 300+ in tradeskills, high level, all rank 2 spells, good gear, mostly done collections, etc. The houses I fill with those things are for my other chars to access as they level up.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

It increases faction gain/loss in some areas.
    Jumbur and Skuz like this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

Im curious - what area?
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Older expansions. I have a list on a text file somewhere when they published it.

I think they should eliminate the entire mechanic of fizzles. That is one less check on every single spell cast in game. Its an outdated mechanic.
  13. Angahran Augur

So basically you want to recode every single item in game and rewrite huge chunks of the deep dark inner arcane workings of the game just to possibly save a minor amount of server memory ?
    code-zero and Tatanka like this.
  14. Riou EQResource

for Flat effects

SoF, SoD, CotF king/queen Thex Loyalists and clawdigger clan + centurion alliance in EoK

All of them give +100 at 500 heroic charisma (every 100 hCha = +20 faction, it is not tiered though for these specific ones)

For faction gains and losses it likely is only on these as well, but hCha has a modifier on the gain/loss (like so many hCha on these factions gets you up to say Double faction hits for both + and -, likely also has a cap on modifier)

we parse the flat gain stuff as well as other modifiers in our faction section for example EoK's Majestic Centurion Alliance