Enchanter Guide?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

A few years ago I made a chanter alt to help with tradeskills for my brood of characters. Lately, I have been trying to play him and level him up some. Just hit level 98 last night. I sort of understand the crowd control aspect and helping with mind candy, but I don't really understand the spells he can use beyond those basic things.

So, is there a site that can help me with suggestions as to what spells to concentrate on in combat? He has a pet, but it isn't very powerful yet IMHO. I have some DD spells but they are hardly overwhelming in combat. Also, do pets evolve in power when a player levels or do they only get more powerful when he gets a new, higher level, pet spell?

Any help is appreciated. I have concentrated on my paladin and my rogue mostly for the last 21 years and I know little about how casters get the job done.
  2. Cailen Augur

Pets increase in power with new pet spells as we dont get EM ear. Pet toys from a mage helps them quite a bit. I assume you are playing in group content and play styles vary widely for enchanters in group content. Raiding on an enc is a whole differant ball game.
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

ENC have many, many roles. DPS. ADPS. Buffing. Debuffing. CC. Pulling. etc.

I'm going to answer just about DPS, because it's a place to start.

For nukes, we have 3. Drift is our big DPS boosted by our robe. Intellectual appropriation returns mana to the group, so it is a bit of an sDPS spell. And we have polycascading assault that is a lesser version of drift, sacrificing DPS for mana efficiency. We also have a mez that procs twincast that works with our nukes.

For DoTs, we have 3. Grip is our big DoT with a big nuke component, it is our highest DPS DoT. Constriction is a cripple DoT, which is our lowest DPS DoT but it debuffs the mobs melee DPS. Coil is our mana drain DoT and our middle DPS DoT (you'll never drain enough mana to get the mob to stop casting).

For burns, our primary burn set is focus arcanum, IoG, improved twincast and Chromatic haze (also click the robe debuff). THe 1st 3 last the entire named fight, but haze is only 1 (2) casts and 18 seconds, so click haze at the time in the fight where you know the entire group is nuking. You want to nuke with mind drift first, and once you unlock the second haze proc, nuke second with our grip DoT (has a nuke part) or the 110 version of mind drift (Slash). Alternating Drift/Grip during a burn is hugely mana inefficient but is good DPS.

Also on named use mental contortion, which is good DoT DPS and is a cripple debuff.

Our secondary burn is Spire with calculated insanity. In groups, you can stack IoG with Spire, but in raids, the other aDPS classes will put us over our caps so it's best to use IoG and spire separately for a longer total burn time.

For aDPS, we proc beguilers synnergy everytime we cast mind drift. Always always cast mind drift in a group every time you can if you are group with anyone casting fire, ice or magic. If you are grouped with rogues, zerkers and SHM, you can skip Drift for DoTs, but if grouped with wizards and mages, casting Mind Drift is your DPS priority as the aDPS is huge. Also true of using our progressive ability, dissident reinforcement. The rest of our aDPS comes from our burns, so nothing special just make sure the group is in range when you activate them.

For sDPS, we proc Gracious Gift of Mana (GGoM). For the best DPS, you'd nuke with our 115 nuke and our 110 nuke (Slash), but the 110 nuke (Slash) wont proc the 115 GoM/GGoM, so using drift/polycascading is more mana efficient for you and the group. On a named, use the biggest stuff you got, GGoM doesn't matter, but on long raids and XP groups, procing GoM/GGoM is a big sDPS advantage.

Don't forget alliance if in a raid with 3 ENC.

Also we have Nights Perpetual Terror, a melee proc buff.

If you aren't familiar with the DPS terms I am using...
    DPS = Damage per second
    aDPS = Augmented/Assisted Damage per second, the amount we boost the other players DPS. The amount by which we can increase other payers DPS may exceed our own DPS. It shows up under their name, but in reality, it's our DPS.
    sDPS = Sustained DPS. DPS over time. The main way we improve sDPS is by returning mana to the group so they can go longer without medding. (Intellectual appropriation and GGoM)
    Nennius, Zamiam and Metanis like this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

Pulling and CC are interconnected skills and it takes a long time and a lot of effort to master, but it's where we shine. Bards and Monks get all the credit for the FD but we are the best pullers in the game. And, despite many would disagree with how I state this, ENC are also the ultimate off tanks (we just do it with magic rather than armor).

This is going to be a lot...

ENC get 2 fades. Stasis and Friendly stasis. They actually mez us, so you have to click it off, and if you are dotted it will immediately break. It also only lasts the length of the mez, 18 seconds iirc. They both however completely wipe aggro, so they are exceptional pulling tools. (PS, you can mez yourself with glance. It's unreliable, but in a pinch, it can be used as a stasis)

We get Paci, which is always limited to the expansion level cap.

We get a lot of mezes...
    Single target
    single target low resist (glance)
    Targeted AE
    Targeted AE low resist
    Splash (area targeted)
    PBAE mez
    AA noctambulate
    Twinproc mez
    Beam of slumber

The right mez is situational. I myself prefer single target (not glance), Stare (Splash) and the PBAE. I don't prefer glance because the recast delay, I tend to prefer a tash totem and stare. Noctambulate and beam are always available by AA click.

We have root, but we also have beguilers banishment and beguilers directed banishment, which both have a root component. I almost never use the beam version because it can cause trains, but I use the single target directed version a lot. Root/banish is important, not only for mobs that are mez immune, but as you level, your mez is capped at 3 about the level cap. So at 100 you will only be able to mez to 113. However, root lands on any level. As a lower level ENC, you can CC effectively by using banish and root. This is how rangers CC, and they can be very effective. Just be careful about root breaks because banish is a blur and aggro is loose.

We do have a pet, but charm is by far more powerful. Charm is capped at 1 below the expansion level cap, HOWEVER, dire charm is capped at the level cap, 1 level higher than the spell version. This is a big deal, because dire charm is not only unbreakable, but it allows you to charm a white con at the level cap.

Mem blur is also a valuable tool. We not only get AA blur and an AE blur, so that we don't need to mem a spell, there is a belt from the Brell's expansion with a 0.5 sec cast mem blur. We also can get the Memory from Ssra. These 2 tools are important because by cycling recast delays, we can greatly increase the rate at which we can cast blurs.

We also have some defensive tools like doppleganger and runes which can be used to offtank mobs when other methods fail.
    fransisco, RPoo, Nennius and 2 others like this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

There a great write up on pulling and I couldn't tell you where it is. It explains mob aggro. To pull, this is very important to understand.

Basically, mobs are chained, but only in direct link to the mob you aggro.
    Any mob that touches the aggro radius of the mob you pull will assist, but the mobs in the assist chain will not pull additional assist aggro.
    Lets look at some examples...

You have mobs in a line... A B C D E

If you tash A, A and B will come. B chains to A, but C wont chain to B.
    If you tash B, B, A and C will come. C and A chain to B, but D wont chain to C.
    If you tash E, all of them will come. E passes all the mobs, every mob chains to E.

Paci stops mobs from assisting (lower assist radius)
    If you paci B, then tash A, only A will come. B wont chain.
    However, If you paci A and C, then tash B, A and B will come. Paci reduces the radius, but B passes too close to A so A still assists.

If the mobs are yellow con and can't be paci'ed, you can Mez A, since A is aggroed, B will assist, C wont, so B comes as a single. You can then pull A, or blur it and move on. (This is a good technique when clearing PHs).
    Personally, Since A is mezed already, I'd keep A mezed and then mez C, pulling D. This breaks the camp, making the spawn order B, D, A, C, E, meaning you can then chain pull these mobs as they respawn without a need to split them.

You can also use charm off tanks, roots, etc to pull. Using Paci, mez and stasis are our primary pulling splitting methods.
    Nennius, Zamiam and Metanis like this.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Same here. For some reason Beguiler's Banishment works through walls where the shaman beam version of Virulent Paralysis does not.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Huge thanks for the very helpful replies. Much to learn here.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

My only quibble with your posts! I think you mean mez to 103 not 113?
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yes, 103, mez is 3 above the level cap. Everything I wrote was to current content so I had 110 on the brain.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

You're welcome. Don't forget to click that like button.

If you have more questions, you can reply with a quote so it sends me an alert.
    RPoo likes this.
  11. RPoo Augur

I half jokingly made this for a friend at one point
    [IMG]
    Jordis, Metanis, Sancus and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Screw Necros? Classic.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's a good chart but there's some things I don't get. Why are you saying to keep casting Grip but mind storm is on there instead of mind coil? Also is grip on there so much because you are nuking with it? You don't have drift on there much which makes me think this flow puts very little emphasis on Beguiler's Synnergy.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What does clicking the like button do?

I pretty much thought that was only used to give the dev's a heads up in the bug report forum.

Does it give us something special here? No one looks at the "likes" we get
  15. RPoo Augur

Opps Vumad! When you haven't changed your "recast mindstorm" trigger in a couple of years then you're bound to write the wrong spell but at lvl 115 one should know that it's actually mindcoil. Yes nuking with grip when rift is down. And remember, half jokingly doesn't mean set in stone, just a playful guideline. There's plenty of mindrifting going on. Missing one here and there isn't going to break the group.
    Sancus likes this.
  16. Verily Tjark Augur

too much Drift, and my brain can't take it. Is it not Mindrift? Unless you call it Min Drift instead Mind Rift? I'm overthinking this I know.
    Sancus likes this.